jungle/drumb 'n bass = a new form of hip hop music?

cool ra-ul

ok i hve a question. howmany of you have listened to jungle/ drum'n bass? do you like it? can u understand it? ever heard of diselboy/ak1200/dj junk etc? fyi its the good music played at underground warehouse shindigs (raves) it has deeper darker beats and streaming baselines. the reason i ask this is my friend is spinning at a new hip hop club and wanted to know if jungle could hang with hip hop.

what do you think?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

I sense a comment by Boogie hands coming soon...

I like listening/dancing to drum and bass, usually more than hip hop, but it's irrelevant to compare the two to see which is better. A lot of hip hop heads dislike it for its repetitiveness, lack of lyrics (usually), and high speed, if that's what your friend wants to know.

On the other hand, a couple of years back, I went to Zulu Anniversary, which is basically a reunion of the biggest heads and inflated egos from the early hip hop history, and jungle was spun (courtesy of TC Islam and Craze) with much approval from most. Whatever, tell your friend to spin Classical if he wants heads to notice. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest serpent of the light

one thing i hate about the whole electronica 'scene' is how they steal group names, and its completely accepted for some reason

diesel boy--shitty punk band, but they had it first

project X--one of the first bands to really sing about violence and straight edge

vitamin X--a swedish edge crew, or a socali hXc band

i've also seen many a dj..... where the name was a metal or hardcore band. why the fuck is that ok?

jungle is the shit.....yah i got a AK1200 cd with MC navigator...but has nothing incommon with raves......all junglests hate candy kids.....if we see any we beat the fuck outta them.......and yah i think that jungle can hang with hip hop....alot of drum&bass DJ's have emcee's on their tracks

Guest MR BOJANGLES

i like drum n bass. BUT its not a new form of hiphop. it was created by accident, and has more reggae influence than hiphop influence. all in all, i like it.

Guest got tha feva

I know a lot of hip hop heads that like dnb and jungle... I know I do anyway. A lot of the DJ's at the club we go to on hip hop night like to throw some dancehall/dnb tracks in the mix, and i don't see anyone stop dancing or getting irritated with it. I'm sure if all they'e heard is breakbeats all night, a little change up will be nice.

1. fuck hip hop

2. drum and bass is in no way hip-hop. it is it's own genre and scene already and doesn't need any more dipshit hiphop reject leftovers to start coming to dnb party's to "battle in a circle"

3. Jungle and drum n bass are different. (and ak1200, dieselboy ETC. are not really the reggae type at all)

4.it sounds as if you are trying to LINK DnB to HipHop so you feel more comfortable liking it, do you think that if dnb is a new type of hip hop then it is somehow validated? its cool that you like drum and bass music. it is dope and the scene is dope too so enjoy it for what it is and don't try to make it into hiphop because hiphop is completely fucked at this point.

5. to the guy who is mad about djs/producers "stealing names", project x was a movie with matthew broderic about monkeys before the band came out. also, im called "Dj Floorpunch" so you must be right. ha

Originally posted by ~KRYLON2~

jungle is the shit.....yah i got a AK1200 cd with MC navigator...but has nothing incommon with raves......all junglests hate candy kids.....if we see any we beat the fuck outta them.......and yah i think that jungle can hang with hip hop....alot of drum&bass DJ's have emcee's on their tracks

1. AK1200 is drum n bass not jungle (its not the same thing)

2. Drum n Bass is a form of dance music- which means that it has a lot in common with raves, seeing as how any all nite party with dj's is considered a rave.

3. dont lie about beating up candy ravers, i know you haven't done that. and if you have you are completely brainless.

4. i hate the term JUNGLIST it is such a stupid

prescribed identity. it's just a term so fake ass white guys can have some stupid ethnic identity to go with thier shitty hip hop costume.

Originally posted by SKOTREL

yo drum and bass is the next step in the relation to the progression of black music.

gospel,jazz,rock,reggae,hiphop..........drum and bass

do the knowledge.ha

erm i don't quite get how drum n bass is black music? it originated from england (spliting from hardcore in 92-94) Genaside II - Narra Mine is supposidly the first purley drum n bass record dropping in late 1991 early 1992. There was and still is a ragga elements as well as early detroit techno, jazz and kraftwerkian electronica.I think it has such ecletic roots that it can't be deemed 'black' music I think the media portayed it as the english answer to hip hop which i never thought it was.

Guest --zeSto--

umm....

this topic gets opened every few months,

so here's my common reply...

The only real similarities between d'n'b and hip hop are;

1. Came from lower social - economic backgrounds (read soul music)

2. they sample

3. Many fans of each genre choose to get all thugged out.

The differences are;

1. People still dance to jungle and d'n'b.

2. D'n'b is not about mainstream stardom. There's no Kenny Ken on MTV.

3. The real stars are producers with tallent.

4. The MC is there to support the DJ... not the other way around.

dont forget to check... www.bassdrive.com www.thednb.com

Guest got tha feva
Originally posted by sixteenvandals

1. fuck hip hop

2. drum and bass is in no way hip-hop. it is it's own genre and scene already and doesn't need any more dipshit hiphop reject leftovers to start coming to dnb party's to "battle in a circle"

4.it sounds as if you are trying to LINK DnB to HipHop so you feel more comfortable liking it, do you think that if dnb is a new type of hip hop then it is somehow validated? its cool that you like drum and bass music. it is dope and the scene is dope too so enjoy it for what it is and don't try to make it into hiphop because hiphop is completely fucked at this point.

5. to the guy who is mad about djs/producers "stealing names", project x was a movie with matthew broderic about monkeys before the band came out. also, im called "Dj Floorpunch" so you must be right. ha

hmmm.

1. fuck you.

2. don't be an elitest fuck just because someone was curious about some music.

4. it sounds as if you are paranoid about your music 'scene' blowing up and thus leaving your deep dark underground within the underground image torn, shattered, and blowing in the wind. Get over it.

5.Dj Floorpunch, a gay dj in sf.. would make some tattoo'd jersey boys wipe tears from their eyes.

Prude

Guest --zeSto--

a good MC is one who knows when to shut up!

listen to mc Conrad...

he knows that when LTJ is in a mix... you dont talk.

I've got very little respect for the Ali G, Yabba Dabba Do style Mc's.

Some like mc Fearless, MC MC, and mc Moose are hype,

but not when they jibber jabber too much.

all music that has come out of america is black music...jazz is derived from the blues and field hollers, which are both improvised and both derived from the tribal music of africa...it's crazy but if you check out some jazz you always hear the drummer playing a ride pattern (ding dingaling dingaling)...i was checking out a music of africa cd, and the beat/drumming had a ride patern in it very very similar to the ride pattern heard in jazz...i listen to a lot of jazz and also check out drumnbass and what not...a lot of times what a jazz drummer is playing would fit right in with a jungle/dnb beat...(if anyone has checked out Yesterdays New Quintet there's a track where they sample max roach playing drums, that's kinda what i'm getting at)...anyway, that's just the way i'm hearing things

Guest got tha feva
Originally posted by kaesthebluntedwonder

all music that has come out of america is black music...

That's a bold statement to make. What about bluegrass? Bill Monroe had scottish/irish background, I believe. He was white and american hillbilly to boot, along with the majority of other social gatherers in the bluegrass scene. What about the different forms of metal? hardcore? The roots of which are european as fuck. I don't know much about music or all of the history behind it, but I do know that I don't owe graditude to STRICTLY black people for all music that has come out of America, and anyone who thinks so is pretty narrowminded in my opinion.

prude

Originally posted by --zeSto--

a good MC is one who knows when to shut up!

listen to mc Conrad...

he knows that when LTJ is in a mix... you dont talk.

talking over any good looking track would be stupid. since almost all of it is the chill type dnb

jungle can hang with hip-hop....i used to do hip hop shows like back in 1997-00.. and i would always put those two together.. cause it keeps the crowed going... jungle is a form of ragga which also links too hip hop due to various remixs... basically jungle is music you can bounce your head to.:D

Archived