=+= J's Mega-awesome-thread =+= "The Plan" =+=

Guest j

Hello everyone! http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~kidblount/kb.gif'>

http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~kidblount/jrave.jpg'>

This is J. Some of you know me as the person who did the photoshops of Kidblount and various others. I want to take the this time right now to thank everyone who has laughed at and enjoyed the work I have done and especially those who have commented on my little creations. I respect a lot of people on this board and have learned a great deal from the bringers of funk™ which I have been able to apply to my life and day-to-day adventures. I have been inspired by a certain few 12ozers to make this awesome thread not to celebrate something, as several of you have in the past, but to accomplish a goal of mine. You see, I am a very shy and introverted, skinny white boy. I always have wanted to overcome that shyness & introversion and make some improvements in my life. I have seen some of my friends over the years go from nerds and boring guys, to the most awesome people to hang out and party with. And now, it's my turn.

http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~kidblount/kidb1.jpg'>

I am currently 6'1" and approximately 140 lbs, and as you can see in the pictures, a bit thin. The things I'd like to change are:

[*]My Introversion

I have a few friends and am fairly successful. The only problem is, I am a bit boring and bland in my eyes. My friends may say otherwise, but I think that I am just not talkative and friendly to enough people. I've learned that the secret of a happy life is to have a good time and be awesome to people, but I feel like my shyness and self-esteem issues are holding me back. My goal is to show my true personality so that I am always doing my best to bring the funk, as you say, wherever I go. I would like people to say "Hey, that J is a really swell guy," and mean it. I have hidden in me this funny, comedic, and spontaneous attitude that I have only recently discovered. The only problem is, all my life I have been taught by my parents and society to be serious and hide those childish qualities from the world. I stay in my "safe zone" and don't venture out of it to see what other relationships and risky things have to offer me.

http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~kidblount/jsplit.jpg'>

I want to make more people laugh, and I want to be more social and energetic. I will bring funk to their lives and show them that there is a better way to live than this droning and weary existence where no one truely lives their life. Live is an important word.. I feel that most people aren't truely living, they are just letting society push them around and never really knowing what's important: friends and family. People you can trust and count on. Someone to talk to. Someone to listen and give advice. I don't do enough of that. Me and my buddy G, we talk about really personal stuff with each other, we're tight, and always looking out for one another. But I want to spread that. I want everyone to feel like they can trust me and come to me for help. And I'd be lying if I didn't want that back in return. I believe that friends are a very valuable investment.

http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~kidblount/oc_trip.jpg'>

In short, I need to be more open and friendly with people. Talking to random people. Learning something new. Getting to know the quiet girl down the hall at work. Hanging out with the guys in my classes I'm taking at college. I just need to overcome this phobia I have of getting to know new people.

[*]My physique

This is also going to be a way for me to get in shape. No, I'm not overweight or anything, but I'm skinny as a twig and have a hard time running much more than a mile or two some days. It wouldn't hurt to put on some muscle to attract some girls this summer. I need to get into a regimen of eating well, weight training, and eliminating unhealty habits. Here are some puictures to show you what I have to work with:

http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~kidblount/j1.jpg'>

http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~kidblount/j3.jpg'>

http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~kidblount/j4.jpg'>

Not particuarly stunning, but I think there's some potential. I can get some girls, don't get me wrong, but I know that I can do a lot better if I just worked out some more. Not to mention the health benefits. I'd like to be able to run a marathon some day, and just get out more in general. I love being outdoors working up a sweat. I just want to bulk up a bit.

[/list=1]

I can imagine by now that some of you guys are laughing your asses off and saying "what a loser.. this guy has nothing better to do besides post pictures of his skinny-ass self on a grafitti message board?" I thought about that for a while and then realized (just as El Mamerro revealed in this thread) that I feel a bond with some of you guys here, and really with the whole board in general. I know that the best way to accomplish something, whether it be quitting smoking, losing weight, etc. is to demonstrate to others what I am trying to do, that way there's a sort of peer-pressure to follow through on my plan. I also think I could accomplish two addtional effects from this:

[*]I could make myself a better, nicer, and all-around more awesome person.. and also improve my quality of life to an extent.

[*]I could create a thread that creates extreme funk and hopefully spreads general awesomeness to the 12oz community.

[/list=1]

I was even inspired by Tease, of all people. I mean, if he can develop a t-shirt design of his own and make it into an actual product, I surely can be a more sociable person and get myself in shape, can't I?

I'm hoping you guys will share some knowledge and help a brother out. I figure if nothing else, you'll get a good laugh out of this. Regardless, I'll be posting regularly to chart my progresss and to answer any questions. This is only the beginning..

That's all for now.. time for some much needed sleep. Thanks everyone.

http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~kidblount/j6.jpg'>

j/corny, yet 100% serious

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest imported_El Mamerro

This is going to be fucking awesome. Consider the funk properly introduced, and high expectations for future maximum bringitude.

I do indeed believe that if we knew one another we would be good friends. The skinny dudes have to stick together .. form some sort of crew where we can attach together like Voltron and become the size of a normal person.

Re: your post: I think the fact that you have acknowledged the areas in your life that you would like to change is positive step.

• If you have the cash, get a few sessions with a personal trainer. He'll help you get more comfortable inside a gym, can provide you with exercises that will help you acheive your goal of gaining mass, and can show you what foods to avoid and what to consume. All in all, it'll make the process of the physical change that much easier.
  • In terms of the social changes, start small. You're not going to wake up tomorrow morning without any fear of meeting new people, etc. The introversion has, from how you described it, been instilled in your psyche for quite some time, so don't expect immediate results. But like I said, start small. Talk to one new person every day, even if it's just saying hi to someone that you stand in line with at the bank, grocery store, whatever. Just smile and say hi/hello/howdy. If you're already comfortable doing this or already do it, then good. If not, it's a good first step.

And you said you consider yourself a bit bland or boring. I think there are a number of people on this message board that would disagree with you, myself being one of them. Granted, this is an online community and it doesn't compare to real life in many senses. But I still think that people show enough of themselves through their online personalities that I can safely say that you are neither bland nor boring.

Holler.

I consider the funk brung fah sho... j is a credit to all that is awesome.

Now, there's no way I can help you on the intorversion side... I am as introverted as you, if not more, and I will study what is said closely and maybe take some of it on board... I wouldn't have the courage to start a thread like this, and so I give you maximum propage.

On the physique side... you'd be surprised how much you can bulk up without any money or weight type training. The trainer that PMB suggested would help, but if anything he is only there for motivation. You can do a lot for yourself through simple sit-ups, press-ups and pull ups. Although, it would seem that you want bulk over strength... if that's the case then a structured mass building program might be better for you. I dunno, I'm sure that there are people around here who know a lot more about this kind of stuff than I do.

Best of luck with everything,

Spike/holding it down for the UK scrawny kids

Guest imported_Tesseract

hahaha, always a pleasure j....on a sidenote, skinny people of america are the normal people of europe, my advice on all that...stay drunk, that should do it

it appears you've got a good platform to work off of. the only advice i can think of is: stay focused on your goals and anticipate setbacks but don't lose your drive.

also, on a sidenote: in attempting to reach out and meet new people i'm sure you'll come across some rude folks. just brush that shit off and keep moving. good luck.

Originally posted by MrChupacabra

J=the man who shows up randomly, brings the funk, makes me laugh really hard, and then just disappears for awhile.

You have all of our support, good luck with your goals.

Yeah Chupa, I'm going to definitely stick around for a while.. I know sometimes I have a tendency to clam up for extended periods of time and just lurk the boards. It's related to the introversion, I think.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

• In terms of the social changes, start small. You're not going to wake up tomorrow morning without any fear of meeting new people, etc. The introversion has, from how you described it, been instilled in your psyche for quite some time, so don't expect immediate results. But like I said, start small. Talk to one new person every day, even if it's just saying hi to someone that you stand in line with at the bank, grocery store, whatever. Just smile and say hi/hello/howdy. If you're already comfortable doing this or already do it, then good. If not, it's a good first step.

You have some good advice PMB. I have been getting in the habit of saying hi to people at work (some of which I never really talk to) by name the past few days, but I'm still not really cool about starting conversation with random people at school, on the street, etc. It's something I need to practice.

Originally posted by Spike

I consider the funk I wouldn't have the courage to start a thread like this, and so I give you maximum propage.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a very positive response to this thread. Kinda like how I'm afraid I'll run into some unsavory people, as crave said. Fear of rejection, that's all.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

humour is the key to being an extrovert.

That was one of the ideas that came to me during my brainstorming session last night/this morning.

Thanks everyone for all your help and support. Keep the ideas rolling in. I'll be back soon to keep you updated.

good to hear you'll be sticking around. and on another note, this man speaks the truth:

Originally posted by SteveAustin

as a former introvert...I feel your pain. humour is the key to being an extrovert.

When i was younger i was really afraid to speak out around other people, especially those i didn't know well. But i soon realized if i acted the same way i do around all of my good friends(fuck around and joke all the time) people enjoyed it. I must admit, i make an ass of myself all the time, but as once you're able to just laugh at the stupid shit you do, then you can just feel comfortable saying whatever you want, whenever you want. Hit a homeboy up on aim sometime if you want.

MrScojangles*

j bringin' the funk

my parents moved from the burbs to the city almost a year ago now, which i'm liking a lot better more and more as time goes by. you always want to just be friendly with people you encounter, even if it means nodding or saying hello, good evening, something small like that. i spent a month in italy and it's amazing how friendly people are over there. when i got back i wanted to say good morning and good evening to everyone i came across, but i had to remind myself that this is not italy and it might not go over well. i still sneak in a "hello" here and there and at least acknowledge people's presence.

i find myself talking about the weather as a way of getting into a conversation. if i'm in the elevator with someone it's easy to start talking through the weather. then you can just say, yeah i do this and that...pretty much everybody i've talked to like that has been cool and somewhat interested in what i do, eventhough we're strangers..then you can ask, well what do you do?

we live in the same building, so that's a link right there.

you could then say, hey we all live on this earth together, we breathe the same air, so why not shoot the shit? sure there's some people who won't want to hear it, but i guess you just have to have some faith that people will be cool.

PMB gave some great advice though about the personal trainer..i might even consider that once i get some bills out of the way.

j

as far as weight is concerned...if you're just looking to gain some weight...quit snacking, eat 3 big meals with the last one about an hour before you go to sleep. snacking increases your metabolism because it keeps it active. if you eat before sleeping, you don't burn off any calories, so your body stores it as fat. drink beer...lots of it. eat lots of cheesy pasta dinners...that'll pack the pounds on as well.

I was super skinny in high school and couldn't gain weight (muscle or fat) at all. I know its kinda a fucked up method...but it was easier for me to gain weight and then convert the fat to muscle.

if working out isn't your thing...get into a sport that you enjoy doing and do it all the time. riding a bike is what gave me the physique I have right now. I don't know what you do for a living...but sometimes getting a job that makes you have to do manual labor is a good way of getting in shape. you end up working out without really realizing it.

Originally posted by SteveAustin:

if working out isn't your thing...get into a sport that you enjoy doing and do it all the time.

Find someone to play racquetball with everyday, I guarantee you'll be hooked.

http://education.atu.edu/healthpe/images/racquetball-3.jpg'>

PS- This picture is just asking for the kidblount face.

some time a little introverted restraint can be a good thing.

I dont have much restraint or much of an inner dialog,

so I just spit things out without really thinking about it.

Sometimes you feel like you are trying too hard to make people

laugh or be interested in what you're saying. It's easy for the

excessive extroverts to hijack conversations and come off as

assholes to people who dont know us.

like some wise old man said somewhere:

It's better to not open your mouth and let them think you are a fool,

than to open your mouth and prove them right.

so yeah... it's moderation.

everyone like to hear their name and a friendly hello.

Most people get a little uncomfortable having to answer

questions from someone they dont really know.

People generally despise listening to someone spout off

like they know everything and think that they are funny.

This thread is funk filled.

I know where your coming from. Im a part time introvert, I guess it depends on how Im feeling, and who Im around. I am also really skinny, which I've tried to change, with slim to no luck. I have a hard time setting a strict routine, for myself, so working out usually doesn't happen. Since my not drinking new years resolution fell through fast, I changed it too bulking up a little bit. I've been trying to eat alot more than I used to(breakfast, lunch, and a few dinners), and trying to work out when I can. Working a physical job has helped me out a lot. And so has the eating regularly. also my insomnia has really calmed down since I started eating alot more, and lifting my weights on a semi-regular basis. And I feel better overall.

Going out with friends on a regular basis is also a great thing. This past 6 months, I've met quite a few new people, at small parties, or just because we had some mutual friends, and its worked out great for me, with a few exceptions(See Psycotic fuck thread.). Also, a few beers never hurt, small amounts of alcohol instill a nice level of confidence, or so I have found. Good luck with your plan.