JOINING THE MILITARY

REGULATOR

drop some info.....ive want to join the army since i was like fuckin 5 years old, its not like fuckin mandatory just something im sorta interested in....but at the same time, i want to go to college when im like 18....my dad said some shit about ROTSY(sp)....can someone explain this...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ROTC

program you join while in college for one of the armed services that you take kinda like its a club...kinda..i mean your a normal student but then you go do rotc duties and training and shit...

joining the miliatary=badass car insurance....medical, dental, and i dontknow how they deal with paying for college but i know its in there...

rotc =reserved officers training military program then you work to serve in an area in the armed forces...thats what i could think of right now..

Guest platapie
Originally posted by Pistol

ROTC is like like practicing for the marines in high school or college. I believe when you turn 18 and join you get rank over the other fresh fish.

yeah if you were good you get to boss around all the newbies.

here is a little paper i wrote for my zine thing. i'm not the best writer, but read up.

"Military Misconceptions" by Mr. Mang

Unless you've been living in solitary confinement for the past few years, you have seen (in some form) some of the military's newest propaganda campaign. Many schools have ROTC programs, or at least a recruiter that comes in during lunchtime now and then to try to get people to enlist. We have recruiters that come in during lunch some times at my school. It's always depressing to watch kids wander up and talk to the recruiter. A big part of it is because I used to be one of them.

For a long time I wanted to be in the military. I never made the best grades or enjoyed school that much, so I figured the military was the way to go. I wouldn't have to worry about rent and I'd be on my own, I'd get to shoot guns, and it would pay my way toward college. Sounds like a good plan, right? Wrong.

One of the most misguiding things about military recruiting is college money. The fact is that only 35% of recruits receive any education benefits from the military. Commercials are quick to advertise "up to $50,000" for college, but that $50,000 is only in rare cases. A lot of the big money the military gives out for college is only given for unwanted military jobs that aren't transferable in civillian life. Even Vice President Cheney said "The reason to have a military is to be prepared to fight and win wars... it's not a jobs program." when he was the Secretary of Defense. Wasting four years of your life in the military is a high price to pay for a little bit of college money, and a big chance your military job won't help you at all in the real world.

A gimmick the army and navy likes to sell is excitement and adventure. Commercials and brochures show men jumping out of airplanes and shooting m16s or sailing around the world, but probably the only place you are going to shoot guns is a few times at boot camp. In the navy you'll be spending most of your time in a crowded ship, not truly seeing the world. There really is no excitement or adventure in the military unless you happen to qualify to be in the special forces, but even that will get old eventually to most people. Most of your time will be sent getting yelled at and made to do stupid orders. Basically you'll be somebody's bitch for 4 years of your life.

And that is what people don't realize. Signing up for the military is signing your life over. You'll be expected to go fight anywhere in the world, no matter if you agree politically or not. If we decide to go into some country and bomb citizens for oil, you'll be expected to go. If America decides to go fight in another Vietnam situation, you'll be expected to go. Of course, you do have another alternative to fighting ... jail.

Many people like the news and general public want to try to make the military seem to be a really heroic and honorable thing to be involved with. You'll be a defender of freedom in the greatest military in the world! If you talk to most people who were in the military they'll probably tell you it was one of the dumbest things they did. You may be "defending our country's freedom" by spending most of your time doing chores and getting yelled at for no reason at all.

Always be aware of what people are trying to sell to you. The military is no exception. Recruiters will say whatever you want to hear to get you to join. Once you're in, though, you're fucked. There's no way out. So remember, recruiters and flashy ads promising you a future in the military are only tools that are trying to take away and waste 4 years of your young life.

dude ROTC is a fucking cult..in my highschool the ROTC never talked to anyone else but other members of the cult err I mean ROTC. In the lunch room on thier inspection days they would all be rocking thier uniforms and sitting together taking up half of the cafeteria. It was crazy. It was almost as bad as the marching band.

Originally posted by Mr. Mang

[bA gimmick the army and navy likes to sell is excitement and adventure. Commercials and brochures show men jumping out of airplanes and shooting m16s or sailing around the world, but probably the only place you are going to shoot guns is a few times at boot camp. . [/b]

very true and funny too alot of peopel even the ones that really dig being in the armed services dont realize instead of being rambos your more likely be working diggin trenches, moving shit around...labor type stuff...(after BT that is) so yeah kinda funny

my aunt tried to get me in the military forever it sjust not my jar of pickles even though i come from a predominately miliatary family...

and yeah its not a job place it is a place to serve your country in arms...and just to serve if your the type of person that likes that it is good...(that being full miliatary service of 20 yrs, the four years...no big deal it has its losses and benefits...)

Guest KING BLING

In the words of a friend of mine who has served and my girls father who served in Vietnam (both of whom said this like it was not a bad thing) - the military breaks you down to the lowest possible common denominator and than builds you back up to fit their needs

do not join the military, they make you want to join by offering you a lot (you should ask yourself why right about now), but you give up your self and objectivity....a job offers you benifits, schools give you loans - what else do you need that the military can provide?

I disagree with Mr.Mang on one point though, if you involve yourself with communications in the military you walk away with a $50,000 a year job. This is good if your life ambitions have nothing to do with your character and involve working on phone lines for the rest of your life. There is oppurtunity, just not the type I think most people on a graffiti web site would desire.

regulator, talk with recruiters and and as many military people as you can...high and low in rank. Then make a decision for yourself.

Many of the fucktards on here have never served or have even come close to it, let alone have to the balls to be in any kind of combat situation. (If mapo shows up on here, disregard anything the kid says, hes a true pussy...reread his military thread if you can find it, youll understand what im talking about.)

There are many things to gain in a military career, esp if you go through rotc. Leadership and other qualities are highly sought these days. The military can give you these things. Also the things you learn in your military career can get you a relatively high paying job when you get out. Not to mention tax, medical and other benefits.

I wouldnt ask your peers, esp on a board like this for info on rotc or the military in general.

"Many people like the news and general public want to try to make the military seem to be a really heroic and honorable thing to be involved with. You'll be a defender of freedom in the greatest military in the world! If you talk to most people who were in the military they'll probably tell you it was one of the dumbest things they did. You may be "defending our country's freedom" by spending most of your time doing chores and getting yelled at for no reason at all. "

~shit like that makes me sad. Sorry Mr.Mang, but your little rant has nothing backing it, and was poorly written. You seem like a cool kid but I think you need to read up and do some more research on this subject, and our nations history in general. Read the book "we were soldiers once and young" or even "once an eagle" and then tell me what you think honor means. What is your idea of an hero? I would like to know.

PISTOL~ As the story goes Elements of the U.S 3rd Armored Division were retreating from the Germans in the Ardennes forest when a sergeant in a tank destroyer spotted an American digging a foxhole. The GI, PFC Martin, of CO F, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment looked up and asked " Are you looking for a safe place?" "Yeah" answered the tanker. "Well, buddy," he drawled, "just pull your tank in behind me.....I'm the 82d Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going!"

http://www.bragg.army.mil/afvc-b/images/History%20Pics/haught.jpg'>

i've talked to plenty of people who have served and i even took a few trips out with a recruier. i think i know what i'm talking about better than you make it seem. and the nation's history doesn't have a whole lot to do with anything. of course we don't know what it's like to have served, because we've thought it over. sure i'd go fight if we had some hitler on our hands, but we really don't. it's all about the oil and other bullshit.

recruiters are just going to tell you ANYTHING to get you in. do you think they're gonna tell you all about how you'll get yelled at and pretty much made worthless? will they tell you about 4 years pretty much wasted? i don't think so.

objector.org

Guest uncle-boy

it was mandatory for all the boys at my school to attend ROTC througout 9th and 10th grade. we learned stuff like map reading, cpr, how to help out ion accidents, and also about the us military history. we also got to shoot guns, YAY! . for half the semester, 2 days out of the week we had to wear our uniforms, shine our shoes, and all that jazz. i didnt really love that class,but overall; an interesting experience.

as for being in the real military, i dont think anyone of us kids who hasnt experienced it themselves should talk shit.

as far as getting scholorships goes, i think kids in the Air Force get hooked up the most with that stuff. (from what my military friends have said.)

its not like very single person feels like a peon, and if some dont want to take it they quit...but theres a lot to be said for people that like it, have a desire to do somethign back for their country, and from alot of the people ive known they only gained positive experiences from it..young and old....

I think Kabar would have some interesting insight into this thread.

I disagree with you mang. You don't like the US or the military to begin with and that's what bring you to the conclusion that the miltary is useless.

Some of the best people I've met have been in the military. Give it a rest.

I used to have a pen pal during Desert Storm in the 82nd Airborne. He was pretty cool. Well I guess as long as your an LA Dodger fan your ok in my book.

Military Service

Well, I can't really speak about everyday life in any of the military service branches except the Marine Corps. Those of you who have been reading my posts know that I was once an anarchist, and a very determined anti-war activist during the Vietnam War. I also was a member of the IWW for a number of years, as well as a pretty dedicated anarchist.

HOWEVER, nothing stays the same forever, and I experienced a lot of conflicting feelings even when I was protesting the war in Vietnam, etc. It was sort of like the Civil War. Everybody felt very strongly about the issues, and every body had to pick a side, but it was still brother-against-brother. We didn't hate soldiers, far from it. In fact, every anti-war march I was in had several ranks of Army soldiers from Fort Sam Houston, and a bunch of pissed off Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW) right up in the very front, along with a bunch of disabled vets in wheelchairs, with prosthetic legs, etc. These guys volunteered to serve, and some of them got hurt bad. They weren't against the war so much as they were against the way it was being fought.

I enlisted at the age of 26, very old for a Marine recruit. I was two years older than my Senior Drill Instructor. Boot camp was hell, worse then than now. Just a year before I went in, a retarded recruit, Private McClure, was beaten to death by two fellow recruits in the pugil-stick ring. Our Drill Instructors PUT US THROUGH THE FUCKING WRINGER. The harder they dogged us, the crueler and more unforgiving they were, the better we liked it. It was hell. I wanted to be combat ready, and the harder the better. The harder you are, the more likely it is that you will survive.

That's what I went there for. I wanted to be TESTED. I was an extremely poor student in high school with shitty self esteem. I was a half-assed anarchist who was not successful at creating a viable anarchist movement anywhere I lived. In the IWW, our strikes were never successful.

But man, when I hit the Marines, it was like I was born to it. I quickly became the platoon guide (the head recruit.) The Drill Instructors ran our dicks in the dirt. I was in the best physical shape of my entire life. Before we graduated, I was offered the Enlisted-to-Officers program, the Corps would send me to college for four years, to study anything I wanted, plus NROTC (Navy ROTC), then I would go to The Basic School at Quantico, VA., for officer's boot camp, and then serve as an officer of Marines for six years.

GOD DAMMIT I WISH I HAD SAID "YES."

But I didn't. I was afraid the NIS (the Navy Investigative Service--sort of like the Navy's FBI) would discover I had been an anarchist, a Wobbly and all that, and kick me out on a Dishonorable. I knew the Marines was going to be hard, even btutal. But I was not prepared for falling in love with the Marine Corps. I graduated both "Platoon Honorman" and also, "Series Honorman," and received the Blues Award--a free set of Marine blues. (This is the well-known recruiting poster uniform.)

Then I was sent to the U.S. Army Chemical & Ordnance School in Aberdeen, MD, where I was an Honor Graduate of the Infantry Small Arms Repair School. I finished a 12-week course in 8 weeks.

Eventually, I wound up stationed on MCB Camp Pendleton, CA, as a mechanic in a Battalion armory. We had 711 M-6A1 rifles, 36 M-60 machineguns, 12 M-2 60mm mortars, 8 81mm mortars, some old recoilless rifles (anti-tank weapons) and a whole bunch of bayonets, M-1911A1 .45 pistols, Ka-Bar knives, STA Platoon gear, sniper rifles, etc., etc., etc. to take care of, repair, count, modify, etc. It was a lot of work. We went into the field when the companies went, or the Battalion went. We trained for desert warfare at 29 Palms, CA; cold-weather training at Bridgeport, CA; small boat training and amphibious tractor (a floating, tracked, armored personnel carrier called an "amtrac") and went on float for seven months to the Western Pacific to Okinawa, South Korea, the Phillipine Islands (including Mindanao--all jungle) and the NTA (Northern Training Area) on Okinawa itself.

When I got out, I was never the same man again. The Marines had transformed me from a wimpy-ass loser into somebody who gets shit DONE.

True, we didn't go to war. I'm grateful. But we could have gone to war, several times.

I'm glad I did it. I'm GRATEFUL to my Drill Instructors for unfucking my main malfunction. I'm proud I was able to serve. I wish I had done better, but I'm proud to say I earned the rank of sergeant, in 22 months, no less. If you join the Marines, YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN. Even Marine shitbirds served with distinction. And we love our brig rats just like we love the Marines that behave perfectly, because the Corps knows, WHEN THE SHIT HITS THE FAN, THE BRIG RATS WILL SHINE. They always do. Semper FI.

Archived