Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

JOINING THE MILITARY

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by REGULATOR, Jun 25, 2002.

1. REGULATOR

REGULATOR Elite Member

drop some info.....ive want to join the army since i was like fuckin 5 years old, its not like fuckin mandatory just something im sorta interested in....but at the same time, i want to go to college when im like 18....my dad said some shit about ROTSY(sp)....can someone explain this...

2. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

ROTC is like like practicing for the marines in high school or college. I believe when you turn 18 and join you get rank over the other fresh fish.

3. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

4. yoink

yoink Elite Member

ROTC

program you join while in college for one of the armed services that you take kinda like its a club...kinda..i mean your a normal student but then you go do rotc duties and training and shit...

joining the miliatary=badass car insurance....medical, dental, and i dontknow how they deal with paying for college but i know its in there...

rotc =reserved officers training military program then you work to serve in an area in the armed forces...thats what i could think of right now..

5. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

i remember when I was younger i wanted to joing the Army either 82nd Airborne or Army Rangers.
    I still do ,but doubt I could hack it

6. jupiters7

jupiters7 Member

rotc cats get there asses kicked when they go in to the armed forces because they usualy think they know every thing .....all it is is a easy credit............my boy just left for the navy yesterday , the navy-what a pussy!

7. AeRoSoL JuNkiE

AeRoSoL JuNkiE Elite Member

8. High Priest

High Priest Elite Member

9. space

space Member

i liked watchin g.i. joe when i was little, thats about as close to the army as im gettin to it... fuck that.

10. platapie

platapie Guest

yeah if you were good you get to boss around all the newbies.

11. i'm thinking about joining the navy right now..

12. Mr. Mang

Mr. Mang Elite Member

here is a little paper i wrote for my zine thing. i'm not the best writer, but read up.

"Military Misconceptions" by Mr. Mang

Unless you've been living in solitary confinement for the past few years, you have seen (in some form) some of the military's newest propaganda campaign. Many schools have ROTC programs, or at least a recruiter that comes in during lunchtime now and then to try to get people to enlist. We have recruiters that come in during lunch some times at my school. It's always depressing to watch kids wander up and talk to the recruiter. A big part of it is because I used to be one of them.

For a long time I wanted to be in the military. I never made the best grades or enjoyed school that much, so I figured the military was the way to go. I wouldn't have to worry about rent and I'd be on my own, I'd get to shoot guns, and it would pay my way toward college. Sounds like a good plan, right? Wrong.

One of the most misguiding things about military recruiting is college money. The fact is that only 35% of recruits receive any education benefits from the military. Commercials are quick to advertise "up to $50,000" for college, but that $50,000 is only in rare cases. A lot of the big money the military gives out for college is only given for unwanted military jobs that aren't transferable in civillian life. Even Vice President Cheney said "The reason to have a military is to be prepared to fight and win wars... it's not a jobs program." when he was the Secretary of Defense. Wasting four years of your life in the military is a high price to pay for a little bit of college money, and a big chance your military job won't help you at all in the real world.

A gimmick the army and navy likes to sell is excitement and adventure. Commercials and brochures show men jumping out of airplanes and shooting m16s or sailing around the world, but probably the only place you are going to shoot guns is a few times at boot camp. In the navy you'll be spending most of your time in a crowded ship, not truly seeing the world. There really is no excitement or adventure in the military unless you happen to qualify to be in the special forces, but even that will get old eventually to most people. Most of your time will be sent getting yelled at and made to do stupid orders. Basically you'll be somebody's bitch for 4 years of your life.

And that is what people don't realize. Signing up for the military is signing your life over. You'll be expected to go fight anywhere in the world, no matter if you agree politically or not. If we decide to go into some country and bomb citizens for oil, you'll be expected to go. If America decides to go fight in another Vietnam situation, you'll be expected to go. Of course, you do have another alternative to fighting ... jail.

Many people like the news and general public want to try to make the military seem to be a really heroic and honorable thing to be involved with. You'll be a defender of freedom in the greatest military in the world! If you talk to most people who were in the military they'll probably tell you it was one of the dumbest things they did. You may be "defending our country's freedom" by spending most of your time doing chores and getting yelled at for no reason at all.

Always be aware of what people are trying to sell to you. The military is no exception. Recruiters will say whatever you want to hear to get you to join. Once you're in, though, you're fucked. There's no way out. So remember, recruiters and flashy ads promising you a future in the military are only tools that are trying to take away and waste 4 years of your young life.

13. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

dude ROTC is a fucking cult..in my highschool the ROTC never talked to anyone else but other members of the cult err I mean ROTC. In the lunch room on thier inspection days they would all be rocking thier uniforms and sitting together taking up half of the cafeteria. It was crazy. It was almost as bad as the marching band.

14. yoink

yoink Elite Member

very true and funny too alot of peopel even the ones that really dig being in the armed services dont realize instead of being rambos your more likely be working diggin trenches, moving shit around...labor type stuff...(after BT that is) so yeah kinda funny

my aunt tried to get me in the military forever it sjust not my jar of pickles even though i come from a predominately miliatary family...

and yeah its not a job place it is a place to serve your country in arms...and just to serve if your the type of person that likes that it is good...(that being full miliatary service of 20 yrs, the four years...no big deal it has its losses and benefits...)

15. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

In the words of a friend of mine who has served and my girls father who served in Vietnam (both of whom said this like it was not a bad thing) - the military breaks you down to the lowest possible common denominator and than builds you back up to fit their needs

do not join the military, they make you want to join by offering you a lot (you should ask yourself why right about now), but you give up your self and objectivity....a job offers you benifits, schools give you loans - what else do you need that the military can provide?

I disagree with Mr.Mang on one point though, if you involve yourself with communications in the military you walk away with a $50,000 a year job. This is good if your life ambitions have nothing to do with your character and involve working on phone lines for the rest of your life. There is oppurtunity, just not the type I think most people on a graffiti web site would desire.