John Kerry, the next President of the United States

Poop Man Bob

So except for the formalities, Kerry has pretty much wrapped up the Democratic nomination. Although he was neither my first nor second (nor third) choice, I'm still going to support him. Hell, I just sent him $10 that I could have used on something like these.

Regardless of your potential reservations about him, he is the fucking man compared to the current occupant of the White House. I urge you all to support him, as it's becoming time to rally around our nominee. Look at his views on the issues to get a heads up on where he stands. If you have Real Player, check out this recent Kerry campaign ad.

If you can afford it, drop him some change. Every bit counts. If you don't want to contribute to Kerry's campaign, then give what you can to MoveOn.

As I've read elsewhere, "It's time to take back our goddamn country and kick Bush to the curb. I recommend we aim for his head. Shouldn't do much damage."

*note - title of this thread blatantly stolen from DailyKos.com.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i was watching an interview with kerry on some sort of american political show following the race (nothing to do with cnn/nbc or any of the other bullshit networks...i think it was a pbs show). anyhoo, of all the front-runners dude seems like he has his head on relatively straight, has alot of experience in politics. regardless though, a stale hot dog bun could do a better job than george bush. i hope to god you guys don't get lumped with another retard like him any time soon.

bush will win again this year.....we all know it, no one wanted him originally and yet he won...no one wants him now, so whats the difference...im not mr politics but if anything im thinking that more people support him now then they did back in 04' because of the war on terrorism and esspecially the possible capture of the man osama himself...either way ive said it before and ill say it again, i have never had any problem with bush

Guest imported_Tesseract

Jesus christ, i'm all for Bush getting out of the way...and in that way i'd support Kerry....still

I just read his views on iraq and war on terror only to see that he is playing the card Bush laid on him.

In all seriousness, how you gonna fix Iraq? by increasing the army and internationalising[/b] it to share the danger?

Its your fuckin mess, go clean it up on your own just like you started it. Or walk away just like you should never be there.

WMD's my ass....

i havent registered to vote yet. tho i should. i dont really know who im going to vote for because i dont watch tv therefore i havent seen anything on whatsgoing on. the only time the tv is on is when one of my roomates is watching the simpsons, wrestling, or any of the six billion movie channels we have. so i dont know. i dont read the paper either, tho i deliver the sunday paper every weekend i never glance at it. the news is depressing. so meh. maybe ill sit this one out. i have no clue whats going on. so i couldnt just vote for someone cause i wouldnt know what im doing, namsayin? anyways, i dont know why i just posted this, but i figured id share my thoughts. 2 cents like what.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I will definitely support him, but this is bad news. I don't think he can get the moderate vote.

Originally posted by Tesseract

Its your fuckin mess, go clean it up on your own just like you started it. Or walk away just like you should never be there.

that's definately what has to happen. it's like if we just leave we're probably worse off than not having pre-empted the terrorist saddam, but staying there forever (until we can trust them on their own) isn't going to make them like us any better. . .saudi arabia. . . so it maybe best option.

on a lighter note, dennis kucinich was in the teens in minnesota, eh?

Originally posted by El Mamerro

I will definitely support him, but this is bad news. I don't think he can get the moderate vote.

fuck moderates, pick a side fuckers.

no really, if he picks edwards as his running mate he's in. by the way they were talking about each other and each other's wife there's definately love.

Guest imported_Europe

This will be an interesting campaign to follow the rest of the year. Bush will hopefully be a 1-termer like his ol' man.

Guest TEARZ

kerry + edwards= victory

if he doesn't pick edwards, it will be far more difficult.

also- DENNY GETTIN' DELEGATES. the dude makes me proud.

of course edwards said he didnt want to be vice president, but does that mean he wont accept it for the good of the country? and what is the chance that they could actually work together, after campaigning against one another?

PMB,

how do those shure's sound? i'm rocking a pair of sony's right now that i really like, but i'd drop the extra money to have a nicer pair. i think i might have to go do some research.

Originally posted by seeking

of course edwards said he didnt want to be vice president, but does that mean he wont accept it for the good of the country? and what is the chance that they could actually work together, after campaigning against one another?

thats what I meant to imply. its early...I haven't had any coffee.

Originally posted by seeking

PMB,

how do those shure's sound? i'm rocking a pair of sony's right now that i really like, but i'd drop the extra money to have a nicer pair. i think i might have to go do some research.

I'm ordering them this morning, so I'll be able to tell you in about 3-5 business days. The reason I decided on them, however, was due to recommendations from iPodLounge. Check out the site .. it's pretty cool.

In the Headphones forum, the consensus seems to be that if you're looking to spend around $100, the Shure e2s are the way to go.

^^^ Those would be perfect for those noisy subway rides...although if I were to fall asleep I would never know when my stop was, or someone could be going through my shit while I zonk out.

Kerry's face is a little too long in my opinion, but I guess those of us who want the monkey out of office are left with no choice. I'm considering throwing some pocket change in Kerry's direction. I've supported MoveOn a couple times in the past. I think I supported Dean too...poor guy.

yeah, i've been to ipodlounge. shit's dope.

i've been having battery issues with my ipod ever since updating to the new firm ware. not sure if its that, or coincidence, but somethings gotta give. i aint settlign for 4 hour battery life.

keep me updated for sure. if they sound good, i think i might buy myself a set for my birthday.

maybe i'll even kick kerry a few bucks. that way i'll feel way more entitled to being really pissed off if he doesnt act right.

Originally posted by Daze One Million

bush will win again this year.....we all know it, no one wanted him originally and yet he won...no one wants him now, so whats the difference...im not mr politics but if anything im thinking that more people support him now then they did back in 04' because of the war on terrorism and esspecially the possible capture of the man osama himself...either way ive said it before and ill say it again, i have never had any problem with bush

no i dont think so.

kerry def has my vote.

so i def can count on some of you to vote this year right???

Originally posted by Devilush

so i def can count on some of you to vote this year right???

but of course.....although normally i wouldn't care, i don't need any more bush in my life.

i've never voted for pres. before i'm so excited teehee

Originally posted by CILONE/SK

What surprises me is that alot of the stats votes don't count, because they have such a small representative portion of the votes. CA, NY, FL, and TX and out number the rest of the country. My state hasn't even had a chance to vote and they are already saying Kerry is the one.

That's the unfortunate nature of the primary process. Hell, CA and NY didn't have any say in this either, really, as Edwards had made his decision to drop out before the polls in CA and NY were even closed. One could even go as far as saying that the voters of Iowa essentially determined who the Democratic candidate was, as Kerry's victory there all but ensured the "momentum" would be on his side throughout the rest of the primary season. Granted, the man could have fucked up severely at some point ... but it's not a stretch at all to say that without Kerry's victory in Iowa, he wouldn't be the nominee.

Yep, nomada/CILONE. And, dammit, I live in a solid Bush state.

I thought that if something like the 2000 debacle (loser in popular vote wins electoral college) ever occurred there would be immediate clamor for a complete overhaul/removal of the electoral college system. I was wrong. Americans care even less than I had thought.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

I thought that if something like the 2000 debacle (loser in popular vote wins electoral college) ever occurred there would be immediate clamor for a complete overhaul/removal of the electoral college system. I was wrong. Americans care even less than I had thought.

word. as the debacle was dragging on with votes in florida being recounted, i found myself in a shrinking minority of those who cared. they never would have gotten away with it if americans had been out in the streets when it was announced that they were giving it to bush. riots change policy very quickly, especially with mainstream media coverage.

To Daze/grasshoppa/others who don't mind Bush:

Do you have an opinion on why Bush should be elected? I'm not trying to start e-beef .. just wondering if any of you have an argument to support your beliefs - i.e., other than, in essence, "he hasn't bothered me at all."

Some on 12oz have lamented the fact that there aren't any Bush supporters to push the other side of the equation, as this site is heavily populated with liberals. I, and others, would welcome the opportunity for a debate.

Edwards officially out.

From the NY Times:

Edwards Bows Out of Race, Praising Kerry

Senator John Edwards formally ended his campaign for the presidency today, declaring with a smile that the grueling effort was worth it and that he would keep fighting to change the country.

"All my life this country has smiled on me, and today I am smiling right back!" Mr. Edwards declared, to cheers from admirers.

"Today, I have decided to suspend my campaign," Mr. Edwards said, pledging everything in his power to help his victorious rival, Senator John F. Kerry of Massachusetts, defeat President Bush in the fall.

Mr. Edwards made his announcement at Broughton High School in Raleigh, N.C., where his son Wade was a student before dying in a car crash in 1996 at the age of 16. Although the setting was bittersweet and the occasion sad at its core, the senator's farewell — at least to the 2004 campaign — had none of the lip-biting and tears that often accompany political dirges.

Today's announcement was somewhat anticlimactic, since Mr. Edwards's remarks last night, after he was buried by Senator Kerry in the Super Tuesday round of nominating contests, had the tone of a concession speech. But there was still emotion aplenty this afternoon, and kind words for his erstwhile rival.

"I want to say a word about a man who is a friend of mine, somebody who I believe has great strength and great courage: my friend Senator John Kerry, somebody who has fought for and will continue to fight for the things that all of us believe in, more jobs, better health care, cleaner air, cleaner water, a safer world," Mr. Edwards said.

"The truth is, all these — they are the causes of our party, the Democratic Party; they are the causes of America, and they are the reasons we will prevail come November and take back this country."

Addressing the audience, Mr. Edwards pointed to his heart and said, "John Kerry has what it takes right here to be president." There was no mention today of what political analysts have been wondering: Will he be asked by Mr. Kerry to be his running mate, and would he say yes if asked?

Mr. Edwards, who was elected to his first term in the Senate in 1998 and has given up another term to try for the presidency, has described himself as "a champion for issues affecting the daily lives of regular people in North Carolina and the nation," as he describes his mission on his Senate Web site.

He dwelled on that theme in Raleigh this afternoon. "Our message today is this: we want to change America, and together we will," he said.

Mr. Edwards stuck to his populist theme throughout, even though some of his rivals and detractors noted that he had become rich as a trial lawyer. Today, he reminisced about his working-class origins.

"I see the faces of the men and women who worked in the mill in Robbins, North Carolina, the mill that my father worked in, the mill I myself worked in," he said.

"I can picture their faces," he said, " lint in their hair, grease on their faces — men and women who represent the best of what America is; who went to work day after day, decade after decade in that mill because they believed that if they worked hard and did what was right, they could build a better life for themselves and their families."

His relative inexperience in public life, coupled with his somewhat boyish good looks, encouraged some rivals to question whether he had enough seasoning to aim for the White House. But at 50, Mr. Edwards is seven years older than Senator John F. Kennedy was in 1960, when he ran for president. For that matter, Mr. Edwards is three years older than Richard Nixon was that year, when he lost to Kennedy.

In his farewell today, Mr. Edwards smiled like a victor rather than the loser he was last night. "I have never loved my country more than I do today," he said.

Something the NY Times article above fails to mention is the following (taken from a Washington Post article):

Edwards said of Kerry, "I saw what he went through in November and December and back in the summer when everybody said he didn't have a chance. But he showed the strength, the resilience, the courage he has shown his entire life.

"The truth of the matter is that John Kerry has what it takes, right here, to be president of the United States," Edwards said. "And I for one intend to do everything in my power to make him the next president of the United States, and I ask you to join me in this cause for our country, for our America."

The ringing endorsement came a day after Edwards failed to win any of the 10 "Super Tuesday" nominating contests, losing to Kerry even in Georgia, a southern state and one of three that Edwards had targeted in hopes of keeping his candidacy alive. Faced with Kerry's rout, in which he won nine of the states holding Super Tuesday contests, Edwards decided last night to pull out of the race, aides said.

Touted as a potential vice presidential running mate for Kerry, Edwards did nothing today to dispel that notion. In fact, concluding his withdrawal speech with the rhetorical flourishes he has shown throughout the campaign, Edwards vowed: "We want to change America. We will change America. And we will create an America that finally, once and for all, works for everybody."

It sure seems as though he's leaving the door open for him to accept a VP nomination. I think that would be fucking great, like others have said.

Archived