Job Opportunity.

ClueTwo

I hope I can make it through filling in all of the details before I get sick of typing..

Alright, so now I Manage a retail/wholesale business and have been at the same company for 5 years. Recently, one of my customers has given me a job offer that I am up in arms about. I would like to see what most of you say in regards to the same opportunity. Think this will really help me way the options knowing what people my own age relate.

Let me start out by giving you the pros and cons of my current job and the prospect.

Current:

- I have been here for 5 years and I'm very comfortable(almost too comforrtable). I generally get the things I want, but the owner is a fucking cheap skate and usually takes forever to come through. Recently, we have started a bonus program here that can increase my earning potential indefintely assuming I go over our sales goal (10% over last year,same month, net dollars.) I have gone over every month since last June, except February, and have averaged an extra 300-500 a month.

The owner, once again, has been pretty good to me. When I got arrested and sent to jail for 3 months back in 2001 he was there at court vouching for me. At some point I hate to let that go because I have been very good to these people and made them lots of money. My location alone last year did $1,439,258 with a gross profit of $674,150. Mind you the same owner has 6 other locations but none that do anything near the sales we do. Either way I have established myself as a customer oriented ,well respected, and strong asset to the company.

Guess it would be hard for me to explain the frustration I deal with around here. Anytime you have a retail counter and a telephone with 8 lines imaging the pain I feel dealing with stupid people. This is the one thing I would not miss even in the slightest. Also this comapny has a total of about 40 employees where half of which are only here to collect a paycheck and do not share the work ethic I consider standard..

I also work with a great group of guys and girls that I consider to be almost family. I know it would be tough for some people to have me go because we work very closely together and have been together for quite some time now. Along with being around the same people for so long is comforting, but can also get a little annoying. Their little niches and habits could drive most people insane but I've learned to bear with them just because they are good people..

Summary. I like my job, I'm about capped off as job status goes, but my earning potential has not peaked. The business is very good and for the the most part I have it pretty good....

THE NEW JOB

One of my customerts called the other day about an order she had in our shop and while I was checking it out for her on the phone she told me she would like to offer me a job. I had her send me a job description via email and after reading it I decided it was something I may want to do. They want me to head their technical department which really isn't much becaiuse they are an up and coming company. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. It would be good for me to get in on the ground floor and provide me lots of opportunity for advancement given the company continues to grow at such a large rate. This new comapny is equally prfitable in that the neeed of the product is going to be constant until there are no humans on the earth.

I went in for a quick 30-45 minute on Thursday and since I had Friday off I told them if they would like I could come back for a little longer on Friday. They called Friday morning and asked for me to stop by for a while and show them my abilities with the technical end of their business. I had no problem with the general repairs, but mind you, they offered the job solely on my customer service abilites, not neccesarily my qualifications in the technical service(my current job is in the ballpark of the same line of work, but this would be more in depth to a particular aspect.) This quick Friday talk turned into a 2 hour ordeal where they showed me every aspect of this new position.

They made me an offer by the end of our meeting and it is very attractive.

Money would be about the same maybe a little more with less effort. They want me to travel to all kinds of places like Australia in the next couple of months to get certified by the manufacturer of their product. They would also like to go go around the country training customers how to use the product. This is something I WOULD LOVE TO DO!!

They are willing to match all benefits inclulding a double in the amount of IRA matching. This offer is so tough for me because I'm not used to being the NEW guy again.

Summary:

Start over from the beginning in my career. Lots of great opportunites to travel and very good resume material. Gamble on whether the company will fly through the roof or go under in two months although very doubtful. About the same pay, but very good advancement is possible considering their estimated growth.

I would like anyone who has read all my blabbering to please give me your serious, educated, and well rounded thoughts on what you think I should do. I've already talked to a few different people(parents, close friends, etc.) but I want to get an outsider point of view..I apprecaite your time....

Cluetwo..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It sounds good, but it also sounds good where you're at right now too. Just based on your information I can't really give any advice though. Personally I'd take the new job with all the travel opportunities, but it could be tough just leaving a nice job like that after 5 years.

yes...yes i have.

but seriously, you've got people skills and technical skills, i totally think you can do it.

and if it doesn't work out, you have 5+ years of experience to show for,

and i am positive you will find something to fall back on. i'm sure your boss will understand...

do it.

i, on the other hand would probably pass it up. because i'm lazy.

you're relatively young i'm guessing. you should take the opportunities

now to gain more experience (not saying that 5 years at your current job isn't

experience) but that when you have the chance to bounce around-

by all means, go bounce. it won't be too long before you will have to stay

at a company due to the responsibilities that older age comes with. and,

suppose the new company does do really well, you would have a chance to

move up quickly, earn lots of cash solely because you were there from the

get go.

sounds good to me. i'd try to be greedy though. i'd tell the new job offer that you're willing to go on with them 3/4 time (almost full time) and remain with your current job part time, just to see how the new job pans out. then when you feel comfortable with the new job and think its worth it, persue it.

just make sure if you do leave your current job you give them two weeks notice and don't burn down any bridges. because if this new offer doesn't work out, you need somewhere to go back to.

You current job sounds more stable, you are a valuble asset to them, and they have significant growth in your region. But like myself you hate dealing with stupid people every day and would prefer to work in a technical department of a company that has much growth potential.

Yeah that's a tough one.

Well at least its two good options rather than two bad ones.

WHERE IS THE MONEY?

WHERE IS THE MONEY?

WHERE IS THE MONEY?

WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?

WHERE IS THE MONEY?

WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?WHERE IS THE MONEY?

If you're not losing out on money or benefits, then you should definately go for it. Especially if your upward mobility in your current job has pretty much maxed out. You're right about getting a foot in the door with this new company, moreso now because they're still growing. When a company is in the somewhat fragile stage of initial growth and expansion, they're more likely to take care of the employees who put in all the hard work at the start than some chump that just hops on board once all the tough shit is done.

Yeah, it would suck to have to start over again as the new guy, and it would be hard to leave your old job and all your friends there, but really, you have to do what's best for you, not whatever's easier on your work-buddies' feelings.

Plus, it sounds like a bitchin' opportunity to learn some new shit and meet new people. If you're up for a challenge, that will undoubtedly be both fun and terrible at times, then you should go for it.

Do it.

Dooo it.

Edit: If you're really as valuable as you sound to your current company, then if you present the idea of moving to another job, they'll probably sweeten your deal to make you stay on with them. If they let you go without a real fight, then chances are you would just be stuck in that same spot for the rest of your life if you stayed.

After a few drinks last night I finally was calm enough to digest the whole situation. I've decided to play the game a little ask for a little more money, my formal two weeks from the current job, and I'm theirs 100 percent.

I just walked into work on a FUCKIN Sunday and when I woke up this morning I told myself...NEVER AGAIN.

I really do appreciate all of ideas and comments and not one asshole with something stupid..Just cause I'm geting a new job doesn;t mean I won't hunt you down and knock you out...

Cluetwo/ The man that gets to travel to Australia for his new job.

Originally posted by ClueTwo@Mar 20 2005, 12:07 PM

After a few drinks last night I finally was calm enough to digest the whole situation. I've decided to play the game a little ask for a little more money, my formal two weeks from the current job, and I'm theirs 100 percent.

I just walked into work on a FUCKIN Sunday and when I woke up this morning I told myself...NEVER AGAIN.

I really do appreciate all of ideas and comments and not one asshole with something stupid..Just cause I'm geting a new job doesn;t mean I won't hunt you down and knock you out...

awesome good to see you went for the new job. I would pass up an oppurtunity like that and kick myself in the ass later...good luck with everything

Well, you ask me if I'll forget my baby

I guess I will some day

I don't like it but I guess things happen that way

You ask me if I'll get along

I guess I will some way

CHORUS:

God gave me that girl to lean on,

Then he put me on my own

Heaven help me be a man

And have the strength to stand alone

You ask me if I'll miss her kisses

I guess I will every day

You ask me if I'll find another

I don't know, I can't say

CHORUS:

God gave me that girl to lean on,

Then he put me on my own

Heaven help me be a man

And have the strength to stand alone

I don't like it but I guess things happen that way ...

Originally posted by ClueTwo@Mar 20 2005, 02:07 PM

awesome, good choice! best of luck!

I went to the new place this morning and told them to give me my formal two weeks notice, a little more money, and I'll take them on full throttle...

In the middle of writing this they called offered less than I wanted, more than their original, and I told them I just faxed my two week notice.......

WISH ME LUCK!!!!