JAZZ NIGGA

d-town_bomber

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest leather sock

Mr. Ellington is top choice my feathered friend but my ichiban flavor has been Charles Mingus from day one.

Originally posted by leather sock

Mr. Ellington is top choice my feathered friend but my ichiban flavor has been Charles Mingus from day one.

I'm doing a black and white portrait of him for art class...it's turning out pretty fresh.

Thelonious, Mingus, Ellington, Jazz has a load of great stuff...and it's damn fun to play as well.

Guest Andy Capp

it's all about the fusion and modern jazz.

medeski martin and wood, yellowjackets, weather report, corea, hancock...

from ornette coleman to miles davis' pimping days, or some pat metheney or dave holland or that type of shizzy is all good.

Guest 768186

jazz has such a broad spectrum that its kinda silly to narrow it down to a few names...every great album has great personnel on it, and these personnel have most likely put out their own albums (for example, miles davis when the group was made up of red garland, paul chambers, jimmy cob, cannonball adderley, john coltrane...all these doods got their own albums and there is no "this album is better than that one" since its all just a matter of taste, kinda like what dialect you like to listen to...its like a language really, there are as many different styles and implications of styles as there are different dialects and accents..and the modern playing is over 40 years old now...but where did the modern players and the bebop heads of the 40s and 50s get these ideas..it largerly came from classical music, in particular stravinsky's right of spring among many many more i just cant think of right now..that and from the blues, which has been around for many centuries..so when you listen to jazz youre listening to an ancient music thats been around in many different forms for dumb long......

Guest Andy Capp
jazz has such a broad spectrum that its kinda silly to narrow it down to a few names...every great album has great personnel on it, and these personnel have most likely put out their own albums (for example, miles davis when the group was made up of red garland, paul chambers, jimmy cob, cannonball adderley, john coltrane...all these doods got their own albums and there is no "this album is better than that one" since its all just a matter of taste, kinda like what dialect you like to listen to...its like a language really, there are as many different styles and implications of styles as there are different dialects and accents..and the modern playing is over 40 years old now...but where did the modern players and the bebop heads of the 40s and 50s get these ideas..it largerly came from classical music, in particular stravinsky's right of spring among many many more i just cant think of right now..that and from the blues, which has been around for many centuries..so when you listen to jazz youre listening to an ancient music thats been around in many different forms for dumb long......

you sound like my music history prof.

I could chime in with some favorites.... but it sounds like only a couple of you dudes know your stuff well enough to get what I'd be talking about.

But not to sound too superior.... go for the basics first, theres plenty listed above to get you started.

Love Supreme,

S3K

Archived