Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

J.D. Salinger.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by imported_Tesseract, Aug 5, 2003.

1. I just finished 'Franny and Zooey' for the 3rd time...its probably my fav book...'catcher in the rye' is probably my fav book again, I dont know why exactly i start this thread, i just wanna say that the Glass family is the best thing in the universe and i hope someone will go deeper about this.

PS1, If you like Salinger dont you EVER read the book his daughter published about him.

PS2, If you never read him and you liked the The Tenebaums, its time to introduce your self to the real deal

PS3, [email protected]#$%, i know you'll be all over this.

2. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

wow... Ch.Zero is getting all wordy and nerdy.
    Can't we talk about smashing stuff and getting all zooted?

just playing teser, keep at it.

3. PedroHammers

PedroHammers Dirty Dozen Crew

Catcher in the Rye one of my favorites as well. As far as film comparisions, the film Igby Goes Down draws some seriously close comparisions to Catcher in Rye. and i really cant complain about that one bit.

4. I havent watched that one, sounds like i must. I cant really say The tenebaums have extreme similarities but the whole mood is definatelly Salingerish..cant complain either.

I had the bad luck of reading Catcher in the rye at 19...i still believe that its somehow a teenage book, not meaning nayve but i feel that it speaks louder in your teens. Franny and Zooey on the other hand was at best synchro...never in my life a book had so many similarities with my life and the way it moves.

5. doggy jones

doggy jones New Jack

I never had to read 'Catcher' in highschool, but my girfreind at the time made me. So of course I did. Shit.

6. doggy jones

doggy jones New Jack

7. SukiSukiNow

SukiSukiNow Dirty Dozen Crew

Loved that book.
    Have you read "A Wrinkle in Time" yet? Gotta travel the tesseract...

8. iced_tea

iced_tea Member

we can have a zoot suit riot:lol:

yea i know that was uncalled for

i read catcher in the rye for 11th grade english and it was probably one of the most enticing books i had read. so i read it couple more times and everytime i read that book i felt that something new was shown by it. i cant really explain better then that. but it was very well written

9. Re: Re: J.D. Salinger.

I'm making a 'you can ride tesseract anytime' comment because i'm funny like that and not sleazy and stuff...

What about Franny and Zooey?
    c'mon people

10. kido

kido Senior Member

A wrinkle in time was an awesome book I even saw the play. No, tess havent read 'fanny and zooey' but ill pick it up the next time im at the library.

11. PedroHammers

PedroHammers Dirty Dozen Crew

about franny and zoey... i wish i could say that i read more than the first thirty pages, but i havent... i started but somehow failed, maybe it was because they were writing about the city in which yale is located and i was living there at the moment, i do not know...
    but, if you have not seen Igby Goes Down, i suggest doing so. I believe it is out of DVD now all over the place... very very strong comparisions to Catcher in the Rye... def worth your while and Claire Daynes is in it and she is hot.

12. I will definatelly check it out pedro, thanx for pointing it out. As far as F&Z goes, i hear ya...sometimes for unidentified reasons we cant keep up to some books or movies..its weird. Anyway, since you liked the Catcher so much, i'd say give F&Z a second try, or not.

13. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

I purchased Franny and Zooey two days ago and read 40 pages since...Pedro, what the hell are you talking about? The first 40 pages are a conversation and have nothing to do with locale or anythign else you might get bored by despite where you live.

Igby goes down is a good movie, but it is not great. It is a good set up followed by a deflating sociopathetic ending...books from the early 20th century and movies based on this period (or written in this style such as Igby) all have some form of aristocratic financial character involved. This is because it allows the lead figure to explore whatever the writer was desiring to put out there in a way that the reader could accept. Its a cop out in my eyes, not a complete loss but played out...

thanks for inspiring me to get these books

14. Hell yeah bling!
    Please come back when you're done to talk about it...