It's Raining Like CRAZY In Oakland

Guest Sparoism

Guest Sparoism

And by rain, I mean we're breaking one-day records here in the Bay Area....three inches in Concord, five inches in Kentfield, SEVEN inches in Boulder Creek! Complete with thiunder and lightning...and that's something you hardly ever see here, and when you do, it's usually in the summertime when the cold and warm fronts have it out. And, this is happening at the BEGINNING of winter- this shit doesn't usually happen till January or Feburary. If you don't live in the Bay Area, these towns triangulated are about 40-60 miles apart from each other so you have a sense of scale. The storms are big enough to cover an area probably the size of Rhode Island, from my estimates. Our microclimates are not really in effect...if it's raining in San Francisco, it's probably raining in Santa Rosa or San Jose.

We're overdue for an El Nino year, or about due. The last one was in 1998, and they tend to go in seven year cycles.

With all the crazy shit going on with the weather lately, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bay gets a "hundred year storm" or two and all the floods/power outages/landslides that come along with them.

The levees in the Central Valley are in poor shape...which baffles me, since a LOT of the produce in the US is grown right here. A few of those doing what the 17th Street levee did in NOLA would basically create a new inland sea smack dab in the middle of California.

Not to mention the fact that Sacramento is anywhere between 8 to 20 feet below the floodplain of two major rivers...we may be in for a fucked up winter, here.

Discuss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Sparoism

I just quit my job today...and am about to go back to being a bike messenger, on my 32nd birthday (Tuesday).

Shit better get better here soon, or else I'm gonna try for that Google job. Fuck being outside during thunderstorms...I'm not afaraid of getting wet, but lightning is NOT your friend when you're riding a bike on wet streets.

Good thing the buildings will take a lot of the strikes, but still...

Originally posted by Sparoism@Dec 21 2005, 02:26 AM

I just quit my job today...and am about to go back to being a bike messenger, on my 32nd birthday (Tuesday).

Shit better get better here soon, or else I'm gonna try for that Google job. Fuck being outside during thunderstorms...I'm not afaraid of getting wet, but lightning is NOT your friend when you're riding a bike on wet streets.

Good thing the buildings will take a lot of the strikes, but still...

oooooff. being a messenger in this kinda weather really sucks. the hubby did it for, like 4+ years in sf. now he's all cozy in an office but i remember the days where he'd come home all soaking wet and pissed off at the world.

hell being a bike messenger sucks over all.

p.s. happy belated birthday! :king:

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by ego maniac@Dec 21 2005, 11:03 AM

Man i fucking miss havin a car....

When did you have a car? In case you were wondering, we know each other (I missed a certain party on the 10th and up till yesterday we were coworkers....TA-DA!).

I'll stop by and see you next week sometime and fill you in unless the gossip already got back to you. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Just remember...I always came through (at work, at least- my life off the job is a different matter) and there's two sides to every story.

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by Devilush@Dec 21 2005, 11:02 AM

oh wait, i just realized who you were. hahaha, we-tah-did. you know the deal.

The same goes for you, too. I'll drop some knowledge on the OTP tip.

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by dumy@Dec 21 2005, 11:34 AM

hey, my life starting sucking here in the A..sparo if I come out to oakland can you get me a job?

Doing what? The job market here is kinda soft right now...look at craigslist to get an idea. If I'm right and you're a tech guy, there's a high demand for that all over the bay. The Bay Area, as you well know, is good for tech jobs. Forget being a messenger, though. It sucks. I have almost a decade of experience in, so I can always get a job on the bike in a pinch, even though I always say "I'll never do it again, no no noooo!"

Oakland is cheap, but if you are into the nightlife, I'd recommend SF. It's a different beast out here....get in touch with me on Myspace later. I gotta go get my last check right now.

Originally posted by Sparoism+Dec 21 2005, 02:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparoism - Dec 21 2005, 02:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dumy@Dec 21 2005, 11:34 AM

hey, my life starting sucking here in the A..sparo if I come out to oakland can you get me a job?

Doing what? The job market here is kinda soft right now...look at craigslist to get an idea. If I'm right and you're a tech guy, there's a high demand for that all over the bay. The Bay Area, as you well know, is good for tech jobs. Forget being a messenger, though. It sucks. I have almost a decade of experience in, so I can always get a job on the bike in a pinch, even though I always say "I'll never do it again, no no noooo!"

Oakland is cheap, but if you are into the nightlife, I'd recommend SF. It's a different beast out here....get in touch with me on Myspace later. I gotta go get my last check right now.

[/b]

crap, I am so not a tech guy. Well, not in the sense that I have experience or anything..that's more my roomate..I am a quick learner though, before about 8 months ago I had never owned a computer and now I give my friends tech support related advice all the time. It would nice to get a job like that though, maybe I could just lie?

anyways I'll holla at you on myspace.