Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

it seems i live in the best city on earth.....

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Abracadabra, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

...but a fella got beaten almost to death by police on the weekend (made the rodney king beating look like a teaparty), so i'm not entirely convinced

Melbourne 'world's top city'

From correspondents in London
    February 6, 2004

MELBOURNE has retained its position as the best city in the world to call home.

Often derided as Bleak City by Sydneysiders, Melbourne topped a survey of 130 cities, narrowly beating out the other four Australian capitals surveyed - because its weather rated the best.

Sydney lost ground because its crime rate was rated on a par with New York and London.

The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) survey ranked Melbourne, Vancouver and Vienna as the best cities for expatriates to live, with Perth fourth and Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney equal sixth.

Geneva was ranked fifth, while Papua New Guinea's capital Port Moresby kept the title it took in the last survey in October 2002 as the worst.

"Melbourne pretty much top scored in everything," said survey co-editor Jon Copestake.

"But the difference between all the Australian cities is minimal. One thing Sydney had different to the other cities was a higher crime rate, and it's climate. It's level of humidity was worse than Melbourne's."

The London-based EIU assessed the level of hardship for expatriates in the 130 cities, using 12 factors including housing, education, recreational activities, health, climate and terrorism.

Cities were rated one to five in the 12 categories, with one meaning there was no hardship and five indicating extreme hardship.

Melbourne received the perfect one in each category, including its unpredictable weather, to give it an overall score of one.

The other Australian cities were all given a two for climate, while Adelaide also received two for housing, Brisbane and Perth scored two for transport and Sydney for its crime. Port Moresby received five for crime and an overall score of 80.

While Perth was given an overall mark of 1.1, Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney scored 1.2.

The heightened terrorist threat only had a minimal impact on western cities, even those in the United States, largely because of newly developed security measures.

The highest ranked US city was Honolulu in 19th on eight points, while New York was 51st with 16 and Washington was the lowest of 16 American cities in the survey at 57th, mainly due to a higher risk of terrorism giving it an overall score of 19.

London was equal 45th, along with Los Angeles, Madrid and San Francisco.

Kuwait fell the most places, dropping from 87 to 97 because of the war in neighbouring Iraq, while Harare suffered the greatest actual drop in living standards as a result of ongoing unrest and slid eight places to 118.

The Iraqi capital Baghdad was not included in the survey.

AAP

source

2. StarzAbove

StarzAbove Veteran Member

:lol: i thought nyc n paris were the best

3. Abracadabra

perhaps more fun than other places, but as far as quality of life (housing/cost of living/health services/education/transport/weather/cleanliness etc etc etc) i don't think either ranked very highly

4. waxeratik

waxeratik New Jack

NO WAY W.A. ALL THE WAY

mmmm melbourne?
    out of cleanliness and weather... u got to be joking
    perth kills over melbs well perth is alot cleaner and the weather
    is alot nicer..melboure its allways cold and windy and u must admit it is
    a pretty grotty city!:)

5. Abracadabra

Re: NO WAY W.A. ALL THE WAY

always cold and windy? no. maybe out in the country. the weather's erratic, but it's not as cold as people make out. the weather's better in perth, but i'd rather live in melbourne any day of the week. you guys don't even have 7-11 for craps sake! i'd die without a slurpee!

6. Basic

Basic Member

gettin paid in adelaide
    equal sixth aint bad

7. Abracadabra

i saw an sa license plate today that said "the festival state". you guys party alot over there or somethin?

8. wiseguy

wiseguy Elite Member

i can believe that, melbourne is really nice, has all the perks of australias high standard of living, but is a more enjoyable city than other aussie cities.

9. waxeratik

waxeratik New Jack

Re: Re: NO WAY W.A. ALL THE WAY

hahaha i dont know... yeah 7-11's would be nice but there is allway bp express! slupee's there :lol: and there is alot more graff to look at and i spose there is always an open $2.00 peepshow around the corner from anywhere u are.....haha ok outa those 2 things u win ;) but we's arr zee cleanest!!

10. Basic

Basic Member

yeah we keep it funk , or so id like think
    something to do with the festival theatre ? who knows
    adelaide is bland and boring as bags filled with hair most of the time

11. waxeratik

waxeratik New Jack

u couldnt off said it more true
    you poor bastard! :lol:

12. krie

krie Guest

Australia is a good place in general

13. WorldBench

WorldBench Veteran Member

nah detroit's the best :crazy: as long as you stay in your car doing 80mph :lol:

14. fuckedupafro

fuckedupafro Member

Perth is the bees knees, although i think an old lady got assalted the other day. best keep away

15. Hank Parker

Hank Parker Senior Member

all australians= criminals

i did a report on it when i was in elementry school.