Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Is the underground scene completley dead???

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by l0rdka0s, Nov 29, 2003.

1. l0rdka0s

l0rdka0s Banned

So i had a conversation with my friend from the band recover. They are on the same label as the mars volta. he tells me that no independent labels exist anymore. So i says to him that victory records is independent, he syas naw they get help from somewhere. I told him fat wreck was he say no. I dunno but it doesnt seem right to me. If the underground is truely dead, hiphop/punk/hardcore/indie then this nation needs to take back its music scene before we are listening to the same things over and over.

any thoughts?

2. Gunm

Gunm Banned

It's only as dead as you want it to be. If you're pissed off about how things are, get off your ass and effect change.

3. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Victory Records and Fat Wreck Chords are both pretty big labels. Independent to me is more like Smallman Records, Sonic Unyon, Burning Heart, etc....

4. 455

455 Guest

Independent to me is recording all your stuff on your own and producing the product to sell on your own.

5. l0rdka0s

l0rdka0s Banned

well they may be BIG labels but they are not subsidiaries of conglomerates such as interscope(epitaph), sony, warnerbrothers(aol time warner). what ims aying is that if you pay to see a victory band at a local venue not a clearchannel or syndicated venue, you pay cheap, but if you pay to see an AOL time warner band you pay more so all these greedy fucks in the middle can get thier cut taking more from the fans and depreceating the value of the artistry involved. Its like europe in the 1830' 40's 50's, the industrialization era when single handed labor became assembly line and there was no option to go back to the farm. music is being industrialized. Music INDUSTRY is really becoming industry. INDUSTRY is a bad thing for artists. now i know its been industry since the 70's and the classic rock era but im talkin every last subculture has been taken over by the industry. whats next???

6. MrChupacabra

MrChupacabra 12oz Loyalist

All the shows i go to are still cheap as hell.
    Most the bands i see are on small unknown record companies, if any.

7. ElectricitySucks

ElectricitySucks Veteran Member

the title of this post could mean a million different things.

8. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

http://www.suntimes.co.za/2002/10/20/scamto/8-x20cd2.jpg'>

Yes, generally the underground scene consists of mostly dead people.

9. GLIK$

GLIK$ Dirty Dozen Crew

Because a label gets support doesnt mean that the underground is dead you tart.

Victory records has been shit for a good long time now.

Equal Vision records isn't good.

Times change, bands change.

The underground is still very alive. Go to some real shows or grow a real fucking scene.

10. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Exactly. My city sucks for good shows, the only ones I go to are local shows, with local bands, who's revenue comes from selling their own self-produced demos. There is probably one of these shows every week. And my city has a relatively shitty scene. I bet yours has a decent one, you're probably not looking hard enough.....

11. TEE_rase_war

TEE_rase_war Senior Member

12. ~KRYLON2~

~KRYLON2~ 12oz Loyalist

make your own music

13. Kyuzo

Kyuzo Banned

:)

14. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

uh, alternative tentacles maybe ?

15. 26SidedCube