is the moon orange anywhere else?

Dick Quickwood

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I read that no matter how big the moon actually looks, it’s all an optical illusion. I mean, I’ve seen the moon looking HUUUUUGE, like it's going to crash into the earth, looming over everything, but the astronomer was saying that no matter how much it looks like it, it’s always the same size.

He said that you should take a coin and hold it at arms length to the moon. Apparently, no matter how big or small the moon looks, it will always be the same size relative to the coin.

Originally posted by Weapon X

I read that no matter how big the moon actually looks, it’s all an optical illusion. I mean, I’ve seen the moon looking HUUUUUGE, like it's going to crash into the earth, looming over everything, but the astronomer was saying that no matter how much it looks like it, it’s always the same size.

He said that you should take a coin and hold it at arms length to the moon. Apparently, no matter how big or small the moon looks, it will always be the same size relative to the coin.

I thought that "huge moon" look was only in the movies. Everytime I see it, it's just high in the sky. In the movies they have it overtaking the fucking sky. Guess it looks more dramatic.

Uhh well the moon here had a type of 'ring' around it last night... weird. It was around 10 cm radius away from the moon (when you look up at it)

It was also pretty cold too...

and yes the huge moon you sometimes see on the horizon is an optical illusion.

Once in a Blue Moon

Once in a Blue Moon ... is a common way of saying not very often, but what exactly is a Blue Moon?

According to the popular definition, it is the second Full Moon to occur in a single calendar month.

The average interval between Full Moons is about 29.5 days, whilst the length of an average month is roughly 30.5 days. This makes it very unlikely that any given month will contain two Full Moons, though it does sometimes happen.

On average, there will be 41 months that have two Full Moons in every century, so you could say that once in a Blue Moon actually means once every two-and-a-half years.

http://www.obliquity.com/astro/bluemoon.html

Archived