Is it true what they say about the WNBA?

Smart

Latasha Byears investigated for sexual assault

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Former WNBA player Latasha Byears, who helped the Los Angeles Sparks to two league championships, is under investigation for allegedly sexually assaulting a former teammate, a television station reported. Byears and three men who have no connection to the Sparks allegedly raped the victim at a party following a June 5 game against the Sacramento Monarchs at Staples Center, KCOP-TV reported Tuesday night.

No one has been arrested, but the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said Wednesday there is an investigation involving several male and female basketball players. Sheriff's Deputy David Cervantes would only say a report was taken in the case.

The Sparks waived Byears on June 10, five days after the alleged incident. She did not play in a June 7 game against the Monarchs in Sacramento because she was dealing with a personal matter, team officials said at the time.

Sparks spokeswoman Kristal Shipp said Wednesday the team has been contacted by authorities and is cooperating.

"We are aware of the serious nature of the police investigation and we are cooperating in every way," she said in a statement. "We don't know the facts, so until the investigation and the judicial process, if there is one, are completed, it would not be appropriate for us to make any comment."

Byears, 30, was traded by Sacramento to the Sparks in 2000. She spent four years with the Monarchs but had troubles on and off the court.

She pleaded no contest to reckless driving in 2002 and was suspended for one game. Later that year she was suspended for two games after throwing a ball at Michelle Marciniak's face during a game against the Seattle Storm.

Byears, who is no longer playing in the WNBA, ranks eighth all-time in field goal percentage (.514) and is among the top 10 rebounders in league history. She averaged 5.6 points and 4.2 rebounds this season.

Known as "Tot," a nickname given by her grandmother, Byears played at DePaul and was a second-team All-America as a junior in 1994-95 and was a first-team selection as a senior.

In an article published in the July issue of GQ magazine, Byears referred to herself as the toughest player in the WNBA and said she wanted to open a restaurant or a nightclub when her playing days ended.

"I been in this league six years now. I came in through the back door," she told the magazine. "But I'm leaving through the front, side and middle. Man, roll the red velvet out for me, 'cause I'm the boss."

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by ARCEL

i'll bet she came in through the back door all right

oh yeah, that's part of the charges, hahaha... actually, the lurid details I've overheard have Latasha working her over with a sex toy while 3 other dudes took part as well... I'm pretty sure the unnamed 'former teammate' was the... um... center of attention, pardon the pun...

Archived