Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

is graffiti hip hop???

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by i'mlost, Apr 12, 2002.

1. i'mlost

i'mlost Member

ok. just wondering what everyone's take on graff being part of hip hop is. for example, graff is supposed to be one of the four elements of hip hop. but, it just doesn't seem to belong. yes, all of the four elements have underground subcultures but, graff is the only element that is illegal. noone has ever gotten arrested for spinning on their head or battling anybody. i'm not saying graff doesn't belong and i'm not saying it does . i'm just wondering what everyone thinks.

2. railroadjerk

railroadjerk Guest

im a honky from the midwest, and as much as i listen to hip hop or write on things i am NOT hip hop.

t

3. HomerJayII

HomerJayII Member

LET'S SETTLE THIS SHIT AS BEST WE CAN. FIRST OFF, WE'LL GIVE CREDIT TO HIP HOP FOR BEING THE FIRST GENRE OF MUSIC TO ACTUALLY IN MANY REGARDS TAKE GRAFF UNDER IT'S UMBRELLA. SECONDLY, WE SHOULDN'T DENY THE FACT THAT MANY OF THE GREAT KINGS/PIONEERS THAT PLAGUED NY SUBWAYS AND THOUGHTFULLY DECORATED THE WALLS IN THE PAST WOULD LATER EMBRACE HIP HOP. BUT FASTFORWARD TO THE PRESENT... NOWADAYS GRAFF HAS "FURTHER" EVOLVED INTO WHAT IT STOOD FOR DECADES AGO. NOW THERE'S WRITERS WHO REPRESENT ALL TYPES OF MUSIC BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY COME TOGETHER IN OPPOSITION TO SOCIETY'S BULLSHIT "NORMS." I LOVE PUNK, METAL, REGGAE, AND EVEN A LITTLE RAP BUT IN NO WAY DOES THAT ALIENATE ME FROM MY "TRUE" GRAFF COUNTERPARTS. THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF OUR CULTURE. SO MANY SOCIAL, ETHNIC, AND RELIGIOUS BACKGROUNDS. FUCK THE RACISM/SOCIAL AND ECONMICAL HATRED/AND OVERALL BULLSHIT CREEPING INTO THE CULTURE. IF YOU CAN'T, GIVE GRAFF UP AND GO JOIN ONE OF THE MANY RIGHT/LEFT WING GROUPS IN AMERICA. LEAVE GRAFF FOR THOSE OF US WHO WANT TO GIVE THAT BULLSHIT AND SOCIETY THE BIG "FUCK YOU" EVERY TIME WE WRITE OUR NAME ON A WALL.

4. HomerJayII

HomerJayII Member

SORRY FOR THE DRUNK NON-SENSE

5. i'mlost

i'mlost Member

6. BigJohnStudd

BigJohnStudd Junior Member

nope

Graff has Hip Hop roots and thats that

7. bodice_ripper

bodice_ripper Elite Member

expect a visit from Rhettdec - explaining to you that graff IS hip hop and that everyone should conform to his vision of a writer, otherwise they aint down :crazy:

8. BIG T

BIG T Member

graffiti=punk rock/heavy metal/and country music..!:D

9. Ceso One SAF

Ceso One SAF Member

Graffiti has nothing to do with hiphop......id say its its own element prolly 90+% of the writers are non hiphop so it should be non hiphop i hate when people try to act like it is a part....then i get mad :) but i gotta admit the hip hop beats sound the best in graff vids heh w/e it wont ever matter if it is or isnt :confused:

10. SEone

SEone Member

Graff is Graff..plain and simple

11. super man 1

super man 1 Senior Member

graph is whatever you want it to be and that might be hip hop or punk or death metal, whatever the fuck it means to you is what it is

12. dELiSs

dELiSs Elite Member

hows that saying thing er go..... graffiti is an element of hip hop but hip hop is not an element in graff..or something yea

13. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

graff has to do with self. nothing more. shit how many topics on graff and hip hop are there? this is in no way an original thread idea.

14. artsol

artsol Junior Member

graf as we know it is an element of hiphop but that doesn't mean it is hiphop.
    and also those that keep talking about oh yeah I love hiphop BEATS..blah blah blah are dumbasses. Hiphop isn't a musical genre, it's a culture, the music is an element of hiphop.

one could say that wearing leather and drinking is an element of punk (let the war begin) but that doesn't mean that everyone that wears leather and drinks is punk you know?

on the musical tip tho...a lot of cats I know that write aren't what u would call hiphop.

15. ODW

ODW Member

i got into graff through hip hop.