Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

is graf restrictive???

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by NOVAGIRL, Nov 28, 2001.

1. NOVAGIRL

NOVAGIRL Member

i used to create all kinds of art and now it's graf this and graf that...

when i'm at a wall or fr8 i could paint anything but instead it's the name that gets sprayed.

does anyone feel the same? like graf takes control...yea the just "be original" thing doesn't give much allowance...

i love graf and i'm not bitching...i just wondered if anyone else sees graf as a hinderance from time to time...

2. FROSTY

FROSTY Senior Member

ya i totally fell ya.
    when i feel like doing a sketch in my book just for the fun of drawing its graffiti that i do. its like im not really interested in drawing fruits and such. cant say i really know what your talkin about but tahts my responce newayz

3. i've always been into art, but only recently have i really started to develop my skills beyond the realm of graf. most of my pieces still relate to it somehow, but i combine other aspects of reality into it. i stopped making sense.

4. graf-freely!

graf-freely! Member

the beuty of graffiti is you can take anyhting and make it graffiti.but when you start gettin good thats when it starts consuming you!graffiti isnt art its a life style!you live it its a part of who you are!ill never stop!

5. zen

zen New Jack

yeah it is

i agree. but im not sure what your asking or saying, whatever. If i was to just sit down and sketch or do a painting as i usually do because i do art classes i always have the urge to paint a letter or a character or somthing. even if im working with a paint brush or some other arty farty medium.

Whats the solution? there is none. quitting is hard. i tried. i lasted a month. I wish i could stop thinking about graff for a second. You could become an alternative painter. paint fish, plants, characters, landscapes. As soon as you try this viola your back to square one. you have to learn can control again. soft objects are hard to draw with cans.

Are you happy with your current stuff? explore work that your really happy with putting up. its all graffiti if its on somthing thats does not belong to you. the message im saying is dont be limited to letters, even though the majority, including myself, does so.

girls that do graffiti are so fresh. phwoar.

6. NOVAGIRL

NOVAGIRL Member

graf is not graf unless you are writing your name?

so in that sense it restricts you...to do just that and nothing else...then takes over your other art...which can be good or bad

7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

im not sure if its inherently restrictive, but i think its somewhat of an excuse for me. i can just do graff and tell myself im doing something, pushing myself etc, but really all im doing is not creating anything else... graff is sort of a cop out for not painting more 'relivant' art... i somehow manage to get my feelings out with the application, the image is somewhat unimportant (atleast as far as the emotional release goes)...

8. NOVAGIRL

NOVAGIRL Member

it's like i'm at at impass or somethin...i wanna start spraying other things besides my name but it seems almost impossible...

is it really all about fuckin gettin your name out there...?!?

9. Are2

Are2 Guest

i like graf so much because it can be entirely what i make it..it usually is different things to different people..

it is not always about my name, sometimes it is just about therapy..
    i painted a birthday piece for myself two years ago that was whatever the fuck i wanted..it had weird 3D and a crazy fill..the letters barely looked like letters..and i loved it..
    however, i'm sure i would take a lot of criticism for it if subjected to critique because it was nowhere close to conventional graf..
    fuggit, tho..i loved it...

go ahead and get high or whatever you do and just get loose on the wall..don't bring a sketch or make corrections because it doesn't look how it is "supposed" to..make it look how you want it to look

i have been struggling with these issues myself.
    when i first got started, i hated 3D, but some people told me that pieces "had" to have it..now i realize there are other ways to make the shit pop out..like a drop shadow..
    and my paintings don't need anything but what i want

i guess this may be an advantage i've got..i never had any kind of art lessons..so i just do what i want..
    i also love to get busy on canvas and paper..and definitely not always graf..take a break..
    it isn't work..tho sometimes it feels like it.
    do some abstract color work on paper or something..freestyle some crazy ass shit without the preconceptions..

i was talking to a friend the other day about g***'s first piece..apparantly, the shit was nuts..my friend didn't even know how to describe..it wasn't bad, but it was crazy..not even neccesarily graf, tho it was on a train..my friend said it was on "some other shit"
    ..we got to talking about how when you start, sometimes you've got some great ideas that get lost in what you learn to think graf should look like..i can remember some of my super early shit..some of it was pretty damn cool..but nowhere close to conventional..so, i took some flack, and those comments to heart..big mistake..
    i lost a lot of those totally original ideas because of it.

so fuck what graf is "really about"
    it is illegal, underground art....take it to the level you want

10. NOVAGIRL

NOVAGIRL Member

are2 you hit the nail on the head...that's what i needed to hear...thanks dear

11. taper

taper Elite Member

nova you know that you still create alot of other shit, like that shirt,. you have to find a happy medium like incoperating it into other things and find ways to vary it but still not devaite away from the actual letters. alot of people are one way or the other but if you can do both you have something. and if you can bond thoes two forms togeter properly it makes for actual ART. :lol:

12. KASTsystem

KASTsystem Member

novagirl, i have felt very similar about graf for a long time...i think the best thing to do is to do your own thing, without worrying about whether it fits into the "rules of graffiti" or not. if you want to rock a wall, and don't feel like doing your name, or even doing letters, do whatever you feel like. i'm not saying paint backgrounds or characters...i'm saying do something completely new and different. graf is only restrictive if you let it restrict you.

13. Sekin

Sekin New Jack

I think that I felt like I wasn't restricted anymore when I stopped caring. When I stopped thinking "I wish I was this good or I wish I could paint with (big name here)" When I just would go for it and whether it was sloppy or not or whether it was even letters or not I just felt better. I guess when I relaxed thinking about what graffiti should be I didn't feel trapped anymore. I used to have bouts of just hating letters and graffiti in general. Letting it flow helped. I guess that doesn't really answer your question but I can relate to what you are saying.

14. sugar

sugar Member

15. zen

zen New Jack

glad i checked up on this again. At the begining of the thread you said you came up with lots of other stuff that wasnt graff. try simplifying that stuff. A can is a hard tool to use.

Do not consider your audience as much. But dont totally disregard your hords of little fans. You might as well write on your bed room wall. Just care a little less about what other people like and what you like. break out and evolve and above all enjoy yourself.