Is America Islamophobic?

R@ndomH3ro

Anyone see the new Times Magazine cover?

1101100830_400.jpg

Really got me thinking if it is true with the debate over the 911 "Mosque" and the recent spike in hate crimes against muslims. I dont have a pulse on the American people living overseas, but I do see a small section of people that I work with that this statement is true. A lot of people I work with have thrown the word "Haji", "Ninjas", (when talking about women in full burka), and other words that are demeaning to Muslim community.

Now in my additional duties I am the Equal Opportunity Advisor and I have stopped many people from saying these things but it seems like I am doing it a whole bunch.

So I wonder, is this the new thing in America? Are we going down the path of Germany circa 1919? Is the Islamic hate the "in" thing and why?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

In my own experience the people protesting the Mosque are made up of mostly out of towners.

When you see a large group of poorly dressed white people with a lot of obesity in the mix it's a tell tale sign they don't live here.

As for the people I come across in every day life here I'd say Muslim Hate is at a normal level.

No more hate for Muslims as there is for any other groups for the most part.

I'm assuming it's lower here because of the diversity and realizing your friend or someone you see regularly is good, and Muslim.

Of course, NYC isn't like the rest of the country, most people without any experience will lump everyone together in a group.

I do think it's getting worse on a national level or at least surfacing more recently but I'm not in tune with popular media or anything rural.

Besides, it probably looks worse in the military, we used to call people Krauts, Nips, Gooks and so on while at war.

In the UK it is something I notice a lot more, not actual crimes against them but I hear a lot of derogatory comments towards muslims. There is quite a large muslim community where I live.

I know in some parts of the UK there is quite a lot of tension between Muslims and the white people like some towns like Bradford that has a very high muslim population and is also quite a poor town.

It's been the 'in' thing since 2001. Probably less so here, but I havent noticed that it's getting worse.

The mosque thing is overblown. But people are too stupid to realise that preventing it from being built is basically preventing freedom. The very thing Americans hold so dear.

If the people planning the mosque actually are anti-Western, their plan has been a wonderful success.

"Apply to build it and the ignorant will come"....., loud and clear all over international media.

Proves a neat little point for those who have a point to prove.

As for the question I also have not been in my country to know what is gojng on, KMART will have the drum on that.

However, in China, they are not at all phobic of Islam...., as long as you are Han.

divisions here are much more ethnically/geographically based than religiously based. Different dynamic, different ignorance.

We're all victim to our own fears.

I fear pumpkin, celery and horses.

That's true....all the attention that the community center attracted merely reinforced our image to the rest of the world as a bunch of ignorant hicks. Which is lame, because I'm sure most people in New York probably don't care and are more than ready to move on from the "NEVER FORGET 9/11" bullshit.

There's a very heavy Muslim presence here, and I can't recall any incidents or tension that stand out in my mind. If it's there I don't think it's really discussed, because in some respects Oakland is by far one of the most tolerant and enlightened cities in the world.

Luis Farakan has been within your midst since the million man march. However I feel that most US citizens don't know who he is or the history there.

Even if they did I have faith that the vast, silent majority of Us citizens are bright enough to reason away the prejudices that a minority can engender.

In my heart I believe that head for head Americans as australians are not Islamaphobes nore are they racist or vioelnt. I believe were are all tarred by the brush of the vocal minority.

There was a burning of building supplies for a brand new Muslim community center in Murfreesboro TN a couple of weeks ago. Makes me feel kinda shitty knowing that kind of

racism is going on.

It's one thing to say stuff in your private home. I think that has some cathartic value. But to

go and burn some innocent peoples building supplies because of their religion is a tragedy.

I feel bad for the Muslim community in the south.

• Like 1

Luis Farakan has been within your midst since the million man march. However I feel that most US citizens don't know who he is or the history there.

Even if they did I have faith that the vast, silent majority of Us citizens are bright enough to reason away the prejudices that a minority can engender.

In my heart I believe that head for head Americans as australians are not Islamaphobes nore are they racist or vioelnt. I believe were are all tarred by the brush of the vocal minority.

0,,5316304,00.jpg

Ya Rly?

Farrakhan is aligned with the Nation Of Islam, which doesn't have a particularly large following in Oakland (to the best of my knowledge outside of recent parolees and wingnuts).

I'm talking about day to day relations in the community, in that capacity there's very little friction that I see here.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the fact that we are trying to prevent this mosque or that one is the issue. I think its truly that Radical groups and terrorist groups that attatch Islam to their reasons and the will of their cause. It would be the same as if crazy people in the US or europe were to claim they bombed something in the name of jesus.

THere are crazy people everywhere. At the current time, most of them are in some way connected to the Islamic world.

yes after 9/11.

imagine that. people dont like the religion that blew up buildings killing thousands.

Some insightful posting going on here.....

What I find Ironic is that while all this bitching about Mosques being built on American Soil is going on, We are all sitting on Stolen Indigenous land. Indigenous Cultures were destroyed by Christian European Imperialism. Maybe we should start burning down Churches... 500 years ago the Mohicans, Munsee, Poospatuck and Mohegan lived peacefully in the land that is now called New York until their People and Culture were ravaged by Conquest. People that knew how to treat the land and live sustainably and peacefully were destroyed by a group of bloodsucking Christians that value economic production over life... Even human life.

To say that preventing a Mosque from being built, because a select few radical members of the Islamic Faith blew some shit up is silly. Christians as a collective whole have done FAR WORSE. Spend an Evening at the Library and find out for yourself. The information is all there. Who wants to burn some churches to the ground?

FAR WORSE:

Food Sanctions in Iraq after the first Gulf War resulting in the deaths of more than 500,000 civilians (mostly children)

Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Indigenous Genocide "Western Expansion"

Manifest Destiny

The Invasion of South Vietnam

African Slave Trade

Funding the CONTRA's of Nicaragua

School of the Americas

Economic Strangulation of Haiti

In Panama, American forces inflicted a toll in civilian lives that was at least four-and-a-half times higher than military casualties in the enemy

Widespread Ecocide in the name of Car Culture and the Global Economy

We first dismantle other cultures. Then we implement our policies and way of life in their place.

Americans should take a look in the mirror and realize they are participating in the system of the greatest Terrorist State on the Planet.

not only that you are on stolen land but I bet a huge majority of the knuckleheads that are protesting the mosque also harp on about how great america is and their constitution. A constitution that they seem to forget allows religious freedom.

As AOD would say they have the right to express their religion and they (as the land owner) have the right to build their mosque there, it is in the constitution.

I don't think trying to blame 1.5 billion people for the actions of 15 is logical, plus there have been terrorists from other backgrounds in the past.

I think 99 percent of all terrorists are men though, a higher percentage than Muslims could ever dream to be.

We should just generalize everyone with a penis as either a terrorist or someone who quietly supports terrorism.

If they try to build a new urinal within a 10 block radius of ground zero I'm going to protest.

nobody is saying they cant build that lame mosque dude. its the face of WHERE they want to put it.

I dont give a shit where they wanna put it, 9/11 had nothing to do with them.

if you think the muslim faith is to blame for 9/11 then you're a fucking retard simple as that.

So if some extremist with christian views were flying the plane would you be tarring all christians as terrorists and not allowing them to build churches? Hell it isn't even a mosque they want to build it is a community centre.

I got zero respect for anyone who thinks that this building shouldn't be built there, mainly because they are narrow minded fuckwits.

Do you think that all Irish people are terrorists because the irish had the IRA? how about every single person from the Basque region of spain because of ETA?

I cant believe I am actually defennding peoples religions when I am a complete atheist.