Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Is 12oz BAD for you?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Smart, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Researchers Delve Into Web Addiction

The Associated Press

GAINESVILLE -- To determine whether someone is spending an unhealthy amount of time with their computers, two University of Florida psychiatrists say doctors need to remember the acronym MOUSE.

Web surfing, e-mailing, instant messaging, gaming, shopping, downloading music and visiting chat rooms become troublesome when they interfere with someone's job or social life, said Dr. Nathan Shapira of UF's Evelyn F. and William L. McKnight Brain Institute.

The challenge for health care professionals is to determine when high Internet use is dysfunctional, and whether unhealthy Internet use is a lone disorder or a byproduct of other disorders, such as manic depression.

Writing in the current issue of the journal Depression and Anxiety, UF scientists propose criteria to diagnose problematic Internet use that they formulated on the basis of their research findings and other available data.

In a related article, published recently in Current Psychiatry, UF researchers presented five questions to help practitioners get a sense of their patients Internet use. The points revolve around the acronym MOUSE:

More than intended time spent online
    Other responsibilities neglected
    Unsuccessful attempts to cut down
    Significant relationship discord because of use
    Excessive thoughts or anxiety when not online.

Shapira devised the criteria after conducting face-to-face psychiatric evaluations of 20 volunteers who identified themselves as having problems with the Internet and 17 randomly selected college students with varying levels of Internet use.

Volunteers who called themselves problematic Internet users had, on average, five pre-existing psychiatric problems, such as bipolar disorder, depression or alcohol abuse, he said.

Additionally, they were online more than 30 hours per week, and their nonessential Internet use was 10 times greater than their essential use, such as job- and school-related activities.

But not everyone thinks high Internet usage is bad.

"Its very useful for some people to spend high amounts of time on the Internet for work, school and recreation," said Jeffrey I. Cole, director of the University of California, Los Angeles Center for Communications Policy. "For the vast majority of Americans, Internet use doesn't come at the expense of other activities."

2. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

hmmmmmm.......
    i have no idea...Unsuccessful attempts to cut down ..:lol:

my ganja beer problem is more that this could ever be.

12 oz is good..i've actually been getting tips here and there..ch0 seems like a place for retards lately.but some good stuff has been popping up.
    i dont spend hours and hours just on 12oz..i spend it looking at peoples pics on friendster.but really..im just workin, trying to get a woman and trying to paint more wiht different mediums, but the spraycan will always be number one.
    the internet is not so much of a problem than it used to be, but i am up at2:00 in the morning postin up on here, when i should be going to sleep.

i do get anxious to know what kind of mail i get and want to check everyday, but thats mail.

3. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

4. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

ok ok
    now that i read the articles...
    i like to run..i live in hawaii, so i get plenty of sun..i like to swim and meet up with girls.
    thinking of joining my homies soccer team pretty soon..i work out daily
    and come on late at night to beat off.

im half addicted i guess.

5. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

More than intended time spent online - Nope.. when work is done I'm offline
    Other responsibilities neglected - a little but I'm paid either way
    Unsuccessful attempts to cut down - nope. not really
    Significant relationship discord because of use - not at all.
    Excessive thoughts or anxiety when not online. - It doesn't cross my mind

yay! I'm not addicted to 12oz.

6. 23578

23578 Elite Member

then there is the literacy study, which says children who use the internet at home are far more literate than their classmates. and though i'm not a child, there are a lot of children on here, so therefore i'm serving a purpose by being here.

7. Pinup

Pinup Senior Member

More than intended time spent online Yes.... surfing graff sites waaaaaay too much

Other responsibilities neglected I diddnt eat yesterday but went to the cybercafe.....to try and catch some friends online and congratulate them on their last wall...

Unsuccessful attempts to cut down Who talks of cutting down ???

Significant relationship discord because of use Not because of the internet... because of writing yes, but not because of sitting my butt in front of the comp

Excessive thoughts or anxiety when not online. Nope

8. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

Do fat babies fart?

9. nG

nG Member

More than intended time spent online - occasionally. i never intend to go in channel zero either.

Other responsibilities neglected. - no. i usually neglect work i need to do by doodling.

Unsuccessful attempts to cut down. - yes. but i can't help checking it every day when i have broadband and i've posted flicks in the benches section.

Significant relationship discord because of use. - i don't need the internet for relationship discord. :lol:

Excessive thoughts or anxiety when not online. - no more than usual. :lol: seriously though, if you answer yes to that you probably need to see a doctor.

10. AKA: addiction...i could replace the word 'online' with a million other and still describe myself.

11. sneak

sneak Guest

funniest thing ive read all day
    :lol:

12. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

the other night i read every single post in the yard....

yes fat babies fart, and they make the funniest faces when they do

13. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

Well that answers the question then doesn't it.

14. BigOatser

BigOatser Senior Member

someday this precious 12oz "community" will burn to the ground.

15. BigOatser

BigOatser Senior Member

someday this precious 12oz "community" will burn to the ground.