Is 12oz BAD for you?

Smart

Researchers Delve Into Web Addiction

The Associated Press

GAINESVILLE -- To determine whether someone is spending an unhealthy amount of time with their computers, two University of Florida psychiatrists say doctors need to remember the acronym MOUSE.

Web surfing, e-mailing, instant messaging, gaming, shopping, downloading music and visiting chat rooms become troublesome when they interfere with someone's job or social life, said Dr. Nathan Shapira of UF's Evelyn F. and William L. McKnight Brain Institute.

The challenge for health care professionals is to determine when high Internet use is dysfunctional, and whether unhealthy Internet use is a lone disorder or a byproduct of other disorders, such as manic depression.

Writing in the current issue of the journal Depression and Anxiety, UF scientists propose criteria to diagnose problematic Internet use that they formulated on the basis of their research findings and other available data.

In a related article, published recently in Current Psychiatry, UF researchers presented five questions to help practitioners get a sense of their patients Internet use. The points revolve around the acronym MOUSE:

More than intended time spent online

Other responsibilities neglected

Unsuccessful attempts to cut down

Significant relationship discord because of use

Excessive thoughts or anxiety when not online.

Shapira devised the criteria after conducting face-to-face psychiatric evaluations of 20 volunteers who identified themselves as having problems with the Internet and 17 randomly selected college students with varying levels of Internet use.

Volunteers who called themselves problematic Internet users had, on average, five pre-existing psychiatric problems, such as bipolar disorder, depression or alcohol abuse, he said.

Additionally, they were online more than 30 hours per week, and their nonessential Internet use was 10 times greater than their essential use, such as job- and school-related activities.

But not everyone thinks high Internet usage is bad.

"Its very useful for some people to spend high amounts of time on the Internet for work, school and recreation," said Jeffrey I. Cole, director of the University of California, Los Angeles Center for Communications Policy. "For the vast majority of Americans, Internet use doesn't come at the expense of other activities."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest willy.wonka

hmmmmmm.......

i have no idea...Unsuccessful attempts to cut down ..:lol:

my ganja beer problem is more that this could ever be.

12 oz is good..i've actually been getting tips here and there..ch0 seems like a place for retards lately.but some good stuff has been popping up.

i dont spend hours and hours just on 12oz..i spend it looking at peoples pics on friendster.but really..im just workin, trying to get a woman and trying to paint more wiht different mediums, but the spraycan will always be number one.

the internet is not so much of a problem than it used to be, but i am up at2:00 in the morning postin up on here, when i should be going to sleep.

i do get anxious to know what kind of mail i get and want to check everyday, but thats mail.

Guest willy.wonka

ok ok

now that i read the articles...

i like to run..i live in hawaii, so i get plenty of sun..i like to swim and meet up with girls.

thinking of joining my homies soccer team pretty soon..i work out daily

and come on late at night to beat off.

im half addicted i guess.

More than intended time spent online - Nope.. when work is done I'm offline

Other responsibilities neglected - a little but I'm paid either way

Unsuccessful attempts to cut down - nope. not really

Significant relationship discord because of use - not at all.

Excessive thoughts or anxiety when not online. - It doesn't cross my mind

yay! I'm not addicted to 12oz.

then there is the literacy study, which says children who use the internet at home are far more literate than their classmates. and though i'm not a child, there are a lot of children on here, so therefore i'm serving a purpose by being here.

More than intended time spent online Yes.... surfing graff sites waaaaaay too much

Other responsibilities neglected I diddnt eat yesterday but went to the cybercafe.....to try and catch some friends online and congratulate them on their last wall...

Unsuccessful attempts to cut down Who talks of cutting down ???

Significant relationship discord because of use Not because of the internet... because of writing yes, but not because of sitting my butt in front of the comp

Excessive thoughts or anxiety when not online. Nope

More than intended time spent online - occasionally. i never intend to go in channel zero either.

Other responsibilities neglected. - no. i usually neglect work i need to do by doodling.

Unsuccessful attempts to cut down. - yes. but i can't help checking it every day when i have broadband and i've posted flicks in the benches section.

Significant relationship discord because of use. - i don't need the internet for relationship discord. :lol:

Excessive thoughts or anxiety when not online. - no more than usual. :lol: seriously though, if you answer yes to that you probably need to see a doctor.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Smart

More than intended time spent online

Other responsibilities neglected

Unsuccessful attempts to cut down

Significant relationship discord because of use

Excessive thoughts or anxiety when not online.

AKA: addiction...i could replace the word 'online' with a million other and still describe myself.

Guest sneak
Originally posted by nG

Significant relationship discord because of use. - i don't need the internet for relationship discord. :lol:

[/b]

funniest thing ive read all day

:lol:

Archived