Iraqi GO HOME!

Smart

Surprise turns sour for Iraqi-born woman

She flew in from Spain for a visit with her son. Instead, she's in jail and set to be deported.

By SHADI RAHIMI

Published April 13, 2006

CLEARWATER - An Iraqi-born woman whose ex-husband was lauded by Gov. Jeb Bush as a symbol of progress in Iraq was detained at Tampa International Airport and is scheduled to be deported tonight.

Safana Jawad, 45, who lives in Spain, said federal agents told her she was barred from the entering the country because she is connected to someone they view as suspicious. She was being held in the Pinellas County jail Wednesday night.

Homeland Security Department agents refused to identify the suspicious person, Jawad said.

"It's a nightmare," Jawad said in a phone interview from the jail Wednesday afternoon. "I don't know why I'm here. I don't know why this happened. I feel like I will wake up holding my son in my arms."

It was Jawad's first trip to the United States, and she planned to surprise her 16-year-old son, Hany Kubba, who lives in Clearwater with her ex-husband, Ahmad Maki Kubba, 49.

"I expected it to be a very happy visit, and now it's like hell," said Kubba, a real estate agent. "She has done nothing, and they sent her to jail with all these criminals."

Kubba, who organized a trip to Nashville in January 2005 for about a dozen friends to vote in the Iraqi election, was recognized by Bush in his State of the State address last year.

"People often talk broadly about the importance of the fight for liberty," Bush said. "Maki shows us what it means for our friends and neighbors, both here and abroad."

Kubba, now a U.S. citizen, spent 40 days in an Iraqi prison for speaking out against Saddam Hussein and left in 1979 after he was sentenced to death. Kubba's father died during a beating by Hussein's regime, Kubba said.

Kubba's sister in Salt Lake City, Utah, called the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Tampa Wednesday to help find a lawyer for Jawad. A volunteer lawyer with the group met with Jawad Wednesday morning along with Ahmed Bedier, director of the organization's Tampa office.

"It's frustrating that innocent families are torn apart because of these types of campaigns," Bedier said Wednesday night. "It seems on the surface of it to be racial profiling rather than for security. It sends the wrong message and it hurts everything we are doing overseas."

Kubba believes his ex-wife was singled out because she wears a head scarf.

Jawad was being held in a maximum security wing of the jail, where she was booked around 8 a.m. Wednesday after she was questioned at the airport for more than six hours, Bedier said.

Zachary Mann, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection for the Southeastern U.S., declined to comment about Jawad.

He said it is standard procedure to hold someone denied entry at a jail if a return flight cannot immediately be booked.

Kubba said his ex-wife, a devout Muslim, should not be held in jail, where she had to strip naked for a full body search.

"I believe that this does not represent American values at all," Kubba said. "They are hurting this nation by doing this."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I thought this story would have caused a bigger blip on the collective radar... I mean, not just around here but it was a news story for like a day and then I haven't heard about it since... I thought there would be some sort of international backlash or at least a statement of condemnation from somebody out there... maybe it's like the cartoons and we'll have to wait 6 months before everyone gets angry...

arab women shave their pussys clean

and wipe their ass with their hands...

and you two chronicaly masterbate while eating your grandma's shit.....

ok enough childish comments to the two people who don't matter on this planet

I agree with smart the level of concern towards real news and world events that are actually affecting lives in ways we don't want to comprehend is what allows things like this to happen

people need to stand for something ....and nobody does anymore...

that might have been a bit off the subject but i had to respond to that comment

and you two chronicaly masterbate while eating your grandma's shit.....

ok enough childish comments to the two people who don't matter on this planet

I agree with smart the level of concern towards real news and world events that are actually affecting lives in ways we don't want to comprehend is what allows things like this to happen

people need to stand for something ....and nobody does anymore...

that might have been a bit off the subject but i had to respond to that comment

I was not being facetious: from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pubic_hair

"Modification of pubic hair

In Islamic societies, removing the pubic hair is a religiously endorsed hygiene practice, ranked along with circumcision, clipping the fingernails, brushing the teeth or other such practices deemed routine. In Western societies since the 1960s it has become increasingly common to trim or completely remove pubic hair, although this hadn't really become mainstream until the late 1990s. The amount of women who completely remove their pubic hair can vary from area to area.

Trimming or completely removing pubic hair has become a custom in many cultures. A preference for hairless genitals is known as acomoclitism. The methodology of removing hair is called depilation (when removing only the hair above the skin) or epilation (when removing the entire hair). The trimming or removal of body hair by men is sometimes referred to as manscaping."

I actually first heard this while reading one of dawood's sources...^^^