Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Internet Brought-up Writers

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by KILROE, May 28, 2002.

1. KILROE

KILROE Junior Member

For sure this has been brought up before but I just wanted to share my 2 cents on it
    When I started doing graff I had a VERY small knowlage base. I only knew very little information about local writers. I didn't know what kind of markers to use or what a hand style was or any of that shit. But as I kept going I meet other writers and worked hard to build this knowlage base that I have now(where to rack, good ink, what to do when a cop stops you) and there for I appriciate it so much more. and this knowlage base has pushed me to keep learning and keep writing. It seems there are these kids who are just starting to write and they get on this website and all of this info is presented to them. They can get almost any question they want answerd here. I think they appriciate it less because its so easy to obtain. I think writing is also presented as just this thing that you can go on the internet and learn about in a few days. Its so much less of an underground culture and more like somthing you can buy. I am not talking shit about this website I think its wonderful for people who have been writing for a few years but I am talking shit to toys who come on here and "learn all about it!" and then think they can drop some knowlage on some other writers or think there so smart cause they can make a really good mop.... anyone have anything to add?

2. Remi Martin

Remi Martin New Jack

hmmmmmmmmm.......

what i learned, i wrote for almost 9 years before i knew a shoe polish was called a mop. we just called em shoe polish's.
    i think they should do away with the yard all together...waste of bandwith.
    ass far (hahahhah i said ass) as how the internet effects writers, ask mr. seeking, hes grown substantially as a writer since becomming part of the 12oz crew..
    but this site rocks for making connections...really convienient. allthough i met someone the good old fashioned way the other day, in person while painting, that was cool, right place, right time...cant beat that.

3. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

I agree with you man.
    When I was starting to write all I knew was what I learned on myself and what my neighbors knew. We would experiment and what not. You would be lucky to get any new markers worth using. We used to have to go to one of 2 stores in the area and buy some caps. We cleaned them good because it was a hassle to get a hold of a good batch. We would find out about the various yards via word of mouth from meeting up with writers at these stores or other yards and school. We would think we were bad ass if we could get ahold of an issue CanControl the only graff mag at the time. This was before there were a million full size full color glossy graff mags @ Tower records. The only writers I knew of were the ones I saw up with my own eyes or in Spray Can art. Much less some freight writer or bomber from Nebraska. That's why I trip out on all these people that know the scoop on all these writers from around the country. Then they get all weird if you've never heard of the guy.
    I do think it is easier to get cheap fame now. I mean one could get up a few times in some chill spot talk pictures post them up on message boards and send them to various sites then bam the fool catches a little fame.

I've started writing in 89-90 and never knew what the hell a German cap was until I seen them online 2 years ago. They never had those
    around @ any of the stores I used to go to.

But what are you gonna do?
    Something that is inevitable.
    There are both positive and negatives from the net.

4. worldoflies

worldoflies Junior Member

i had been writing for years before i ever saw a graffiti magazine or video. the www didn't exist. i used to take caps off aerosol products in the store. if you bought them it was from other writers. so i know where your coming from. but what the fuck can be done? nothing. ultimately, toys can get all the knowledge they want on line, but to blow up, they will still need to put in real work and will more or less end up having the same experiences with graffiti that you or i had. so make the best of it.

5. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

back in the day we called mops sneakys, cause they were for sneakers.
    when i first found out about fat caps, damn i used the same one for a year, cause we couldnt buy them in town yet, well we could shortly after, but we didnt know where top get them. oh well.

6. Esai

Esai Member

I agree.I learned all my tricks from my close buddies, we were kids an thought wewere crazy catchin toy streak tags in alleys. I took years of meeting fools to gain my graff knowledge and styles.Now it seems fool jump in to it and try to go all city day 1.Good for them I guess but some dedication builds character and a well rounded writer

7. fiberoptical

fiberoptical New Jack

what ever happend to the Donahue Show?

8. jus

jus Guest

im from a little city that never had grafffiti,ive been writing for 4 yaers an for the first 2 i never heard of a fat cap all we did was cut a hole in the back of the lid an put a pin hole in the front an we use that for a a lil an that was so messy an then we found out you could steal caps off othe types of cans to make it paint thicker an wider an thats what i did till 2 weeks ago i orderd caps, for the 1st time in 4 years i orderd caps.but if it wasent for online my knowlage of graff would be limited.but i do alot on my own allways doin somthing to do with graff.but over all the internet did me well it was like my tranning wheels,an now im the one teaching kids what to do an showing them the way.

9. fiberoptical

fiberoptical New Jack

use the force, luke...use the force.

10. SEone

SEone Member

Every body starts out as a toy...the torch eventually gets passed down to the next degeneration. It's better that newer catz coming up have this net shit as a tool to see what graff is all about!

11. donkeydong

donkeydong Guest

i hate that phrase toy
    for some reason it gives the unwelcomed feeling of putting yourself above someone that hasnt been in the game as long as you...which i feel is negative outlook..yes people are not as expereinced when getting into the whole enviorment at first but.. why use the word toy..ive been writing for 6 years now and ive only used the word toy when refereing to someone that has either lined me or dissed me ...which alot of people can relate to.. but i just dont see any reason to automaticlly label someone a toy just becasue they havent put the years in..thats just my opionon..

12. 87centHitMan

87centHitMan Guest

There's a huge-ass difference between someone that's just starting out and a toy. I'm all about bringin' kids up and getting new people into the game, as long as they're straight up about it and aren't doing it just so they can make an impression on someone or so they can feel "cool " cause they're a "tagger" now. Kids like that are the true toys. Someone who's just starting out and has a genuine intrest in graff and really wants to get good; those are the kids that I like helping out. Everyone has to start at some point, and they're gonna suck. They just need good inspiration. Fuck these clueless dumbasses that pick up a can and instantly think that they're big shit because they went and painted on their school and then told everyone about it. Those are the ones that ruin it for everyone else.

13. sound

sound New Jack

i agree...graffiti is not a grassroots culture anymore...just a part of consumerist culture...something you can buy.

14. GEAsusONEnep

GEAsusONEnep Guest

Re: hmmmmmmmmm.......

I was wondering what a mop was.

15. worldoflies

worldoflies Junior Member

I agree.I learned all my tricks from my close buddies, we were kids an thought wewere crazy catchin toy streak tags in alleys. I took years of meeting fools to gain my graff knowledge and styles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

those were the best times though. its always more excting coming up when things are still mysterious. once your 25 years old and know everything there is to know its more like a job.