Interesting Autobiographies

Kr430n5_666

Recently, I have found 2 things on the ground:

-a gift card for Borders for $10

-a gift certificate fro amazon.com for $100

What this means is: free books.

I highly enjoy reading autobiographies. So far I've read Jesus' Son, The Basketball Diaries, Forced Entries, the Andy Warhol autobigrapghy, and so on.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with other interesting autobiographies worthy of checking out. If you could give a small description, awesome.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0060911271.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif'>

don't know if you like her work, but her life was quite interesting.

very thick book for a good read.

From 500 Great Books by Women; review by Lynne Auld

In Frida, art historian Hayden Herrera vividly portrays of a woman of strength, talent, humor, and endurance. Frida Kahlo (1907-54) was born in Mexico City, the child of a Mexican mother and a German father. Her early years were influenced by the turmoil of the Mexican Revolution and a bout with polio, but Frida remained spirited, resilient, and mischievous. Her father, a photographer, encouraged Frida's artistic interests, and her education at an elite school drew her to new ideas and to a group of irreverent radicals who would become some of Mexico's most respected intellectuals. When she was nineteen, Frida's life was transformed when the bus in which she was riding was hit by a trolley car. Pierced by a steel handrail and broken in many places, Frida entered a long period of convalescence during which she began to paint self-portraits. In 1928, at twenty-one, Frida joined the Communist party and came to know Diego Rivera. The forty-one-year-old Rivera, Mexico's most famous painter, was impressed by the force of Frida's personality and by the authenticity of her art, and the two soon married. Though they were devoted to each other, intermittent affairs on both sides, Frida's grief over her inability to bear a child, and her frequent illnesses made the marriage tumultuous. Hayden Herrera - combining biographical research, Frida's own letters, and analyses of Frida's paintings - illuminates and amplifies Frida Kahlo's life story, her importance as an artist, and her ultimate triumph over tragedy. --

just don't watch the movie, no matter what.

*obviously not an autobiography, but worth checking out

I heard the Lance Armstong one is pretty damn good.

there'sa Robert Mitchum one called 'Baby, I dont care'

that's probably pretty decent. Consider who he is.

maybe the clinton one? I think Makros is a democrat.

or.... + NOT REBUBLICAN +

Guest BROWNer

i recommend anything on sir richard francis burton(i know it

sounds like it would be highly gaylame, but trust).

I read "La promesse de l'aube'" by Romain Gary... translation would be "Promess of Dawn", i guess.... Romain Gary is one of my favourite authors and his book is amazing. I think anyone would if not really enjoy it, at least be touched... especially since he killed himself some time after writing this.

*-edit : i looked it up, it's "Promise at Dawn"

Guest KING BLING

PIMP - Iceberg Slim * It is written pretty much in pimp slang, a good read

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MALCOLM X * It is one of my all time favorite books

Makros

I'll recommend Monster as well. I read it like 5 years ago, but I remember loving it.

Also, the first autobiography of Donald Trumps. I loved it. It just talks about how he got into the business and how he eveolved into such a "successful" dude.

Altho not in the same catagory as those mentioned above i highly suggest the following books:

-The Origin of Satan by Elaine Pageks

-How Real is Real? By Paul WatzLawick

-High Priest By Timothy Leary *(This in many ways comes close to being an autobiography.)

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by Kr430n5_666

THANKS EVERYONE

I BOUGHT 6 BOOKS LAST NIGHT.

STILL HAVE PLENTY TO BUY MORE.

What 6 did you buy?

when broken glass floats by chanrithy him : takes place in cambodia during the end of the vietnam war. sad, horrific, are two words that come to mind. really good though.

children of cambodias killing fields: edited by dith pran. very similar to the book mentioned above but there are 20 different accounts from families that survived and were able to make it to america. also very good, but when broken glass floats had more meat to it and this one had more horror.

when heaven and earth changed places by lely hayslip: oliver stone made a movie of this which really sucked. a vietnamese girl lives in central vietnam and gives her point of view on the war. gave me a lot of insight to what the vietnamese thought rather than what a bunch of white soldiers thought of the war. her brothers fought for the north and her sister lived in the south. both sides would basically torture the people into fighting for their side. most vietnamese just wanted to live peacefully.

the unwanted by kien nguyen about a boy who was born in south vietnam and was half vientamese half american. he and his mother try to escape the country. shows you about communism and how you have to bribe every level just to get you to the next step.

the tale of murasaki: a novel by liza dalby i've read the actual diary which is really boring. this takes that diary and puts a dialog to it. not an actual biography but she does a really good job of making it work. gives you insight into japanese court life and the shit japanese women had to put up with.

Archived