Inspirational Photographers

Leland Palmer

I thought there was room for another photography thread where you can share the work of particular photographers. Favorite flickr flicks and the great pictures thrads in ch0 are more geared towards a series of unconnected photos from all over and I don't want to fuck up the flow in the photography thread.

Post a selection of photos from someone whose work you think is exceptional, whether it's Cartier-Bresson or some next flickr person. Try and include a bit of text about them as well.

I thought of making this thread after reading a really interesting book over the last couple of days and seeing an equally interesting exhibition yesterday. The book was on William Allard who was best known for shooting photo essays for national geographic magazine. From their website:

"The son of a Swedish immigrant, photographer and writer William Albert Allard was born in 1937 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He studied at the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts and the University of Minnesota.

Allard is a photographer of people. One of the few photographers of his generation whose entire professional body of work is in color, he has contributed to National Geographic Society publications as a staff, freelance, and contract photographer and writer since 1964.

Over the course of his career at National Geographic, Allard has contributed as a photographer to some 40 National Geographic magazine articles, as well as to a number of National Geographic books. His stories for the magazine have included "Rodeos: Behind the Chutes," "Untouchables," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Welcome to Bollywood," "Thailand's Urban Giants," and "Hutterite Sojourn." He has also been published in most major United States and European publications and has photographed around the world. Allard has published several critically acclaimed books, including Vanishing Breed; The Photographic Essay; A Time We Knew: Images of Yesterday in the Basque Homeland; Time at the Lake: A Minnesota Album; and Portraits of America.

A former contributor to Magnum Photos, Allard's prints appear in many private and museum collections. Allard divides his time between homes in Missoula, Montana, and in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains near Charlottesville, Virginia, with his wife, Ani, and their son Anthony."

The book was called William Allard The Photographic Essay, you should try and have a look at it because the writing is excellent and provides a really vivid insight into just how passionate and talented the guy was/is plus the reproductions are great as well, a lot better than they look on the computer.

51-9r69YhPL.jpg

some examples of his work

ALLA012.jpg

ALLA116.jpg

ALLA003.jpg

ALLA203.jpg

ALLA212-213.jpg

ALLA182-183.jpg

ALLA188.jpg

ALLA055.jpg

Out_West_005_456.jpg

ALLA058.jpg

ALLA060-061.jpg

Peru_002_687.jpg

ALLA109.jpg

ALLA154-155.jpg

ALLA190-191.jpg

ALLA062.jpg

ALLA065.jpg

Out_West_014_687.jpg

ALLA127.jpg

audio interview: http://thecandidframe.blogspot.com/2011/01/candid-frame-105-william-albert-allard.html

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

kenro izu.

1987MEX13x8.jpg

Hallowed ground

Photography exhibit finds art in the world's 'Sacred Places'

By Michael H. Hodges/The Detroit News

Photographer Kenro Izu swears it was never his intention to make art. He's just "a documentarian, an observer," he says in softly accented English.

All of which may be the case, but if so – what an astonishing observer Izu is, and what a remarkable life's work.

For almost 30 years, Izu – who was born in Japan but moved to New York in 1969 – has lugged his 300 pounds of camera equipment to some

of the world's most remote spots to shoot crumbling temples and ruin-strewn plateaus, all locations invested with spiritual power by local inhabitants

[...]

Izu's technique is amusingly archaic, a throwback to the earliest days of photography.

He employs a large-frame camera and utilizes a platinum and palladium technique that went out for most photographers with the Tin Lizzie.

Small wonder. It's a labor-intensive process that involves creating your own photographic paper by hand, coating it with the precious metals.

The 14-by-20-inch negatives are then pressed right against the paper, rendering an image that's the precise size of the negative.

Enlargement is not an option.

**/rest of the article:

http://www.kenroizu.com/html/review_detroit.html

i saw ^ in person in detroit...was utterly beautiful. the online screen doesnt do his large format justice,,,seein in person,

face to face,,,thewaytogo, for sure.

like they say in the article,,

the tonal array is fucking phenomenal.

Vivian Maier

I'm sure some of you have heard of her this last year. She's kind of big on the blog scene now although she's

not alive. No one ever even heard of her while she was alive and she passed away and left a large stash of

undeveloped film. Someone went to her estate sale and picked up all this stuff she had (wasn't much

because she was poor) including a shitload of film. Out of curiosity the guy developed a couple of rolls and

discovered she was an extremely good photographer and started developing more. Since then her work has

been in galleries and because of the backstory it's also been featured on a lot of blogs including

this one the person who bought the film has set up.

CHI-936.jpg

CHI-714.jpg

CHI-884.jpg

CHI-904.jpg

CHI-780.jpg

CHI-751.jpg

CHI-695.jpg

CHI-638.jpg

CHI-631.jpg

CHI-623.jpg

He made her immortal, I hope she can at least make him rich.

^true dat, but wow about the whole thing...

id never heard of her...thx for sharing what happened.

theres something so remarkably sad,

like a stunning reminder about the exquisite fragility of ones life & work...

had nobody found/developed her film,

she'd have been forgotten and completely lost to all of time, forever.

hopefully thats not too emo or whatever...heh. it is kinda of sad

tho & really wonderful @ the same time,

that her work gets to be shared now, even w/out her around,

because it is very good!

...hopefully thats what she'd've wanted. cool for the dude too,

its like finding lost time.

Haha, I'm such an asshole I'd be like you lazy fucks stop posting just one shot.

Nobody likes me.

Here is Brassai,

Only thing I can say about this guys work is he's probably my favorite photographer. Anyone can shoot good portraits and candid shots, they're interesting by default and a teacher can explain these to just about any shutter bug. Very few photographers can make the actual composition of the photo itself the subject like this guy can though. More like he just knows how to make an interesting shot outside of a textbook formula. This guy just had an eye for a good shot and his style is almost unmistakable.

I guess it also has something to do with me preferring night time myself and how he captured that. Night time in the city has a very different smell than in the daytime, a different feel, a different light, and people act different once it gets dark out. He communicated this world in my favorite shots of his. Aside from style I also image him having a great technique to be able use the equipment available at that time at night.

brassai_walls.jpg

avenuedlobservatoire.jpg

Brassai_03.JPG

brassai-filledemontmartreplayingrussianbillards-375x512_000.jpg

6799_brassai___at_suzys_rue_gregoire_tours.jpg

Brassai02.jpg

brassai_gutter1.jpg

Brassai%27s%20Eye.jpg

maciej duczynski:

http://www.lonelywolf.pl/index.php?page=home

about me(from her website):

I was born in Katowice, south of Poland in 1975. During my studies in Technical University in Gliwice [...] I specialize in landscape photography and prefer the cold beauty and wilderness of northern lands Scandinavia. I started with analog cameras, nowadays I continue with digital cameras and using new techniques giving more possibilities in landscape photography (HDR, panoramas stitching etc)

BW_0011.jpg

BW_0015.jpg

BW_0016.jpg

BW_0019.jpg

BW_0020.jpg

BW_0021.jpg

BW_0023.jpg

BW_0027.jpg

BW_0030.jpg

BW_0050.jpg

BW_0110.jpg

BW_0060.jpg

^i really like how most of her work is vacant, desolate, people-less landscapes.

reminds me of a herzog-esque aperture--

dwarfing the viewer/observer in a sorta uncanny yet beautiful indifference,,,tho no doubt

her perspective is a more spectacular and awe-inspiring meditation on 'nature'

& somewhat less terrifying than that of herzog, imo.

hey da1lyoperations,

glad u likes maciej duczynski :)

i shoulda warned you that i posted most of her b&w collection...

the rest of her website was mostly color landscapes, etc.

yea, i likes the minimalist b&w world too...it is raw like u say, and

if you ever actually get to be present in spaces like those in the photos,,

it feels like, imo, youre bein swallowed by pure emptiness. so strange and eerie...

scary to be where there is little human life around too, ha.

effin ayyy! padilla is fucking fantastic! youre def right bout bein raw. holy shit.

i luv how gut-wrenching real her work is...

my favorite is her work in cuba...the movement and rhythm, aside from the subjects,

is so natural and beautiful.

her subject matter is unbelievable and the folks/places shes worked with/in

are incredible and provocative....thx so much for sharing.

..& weird info...so...turns out, i know peeps @ the school shes gonna be teaching !

small, crazy world.

oh, i like how sweet she is with color too...i <3 b&w but it seems, imo, easier to

give dramatic contrast in b&w...sometimes i think it seems harder for someone to pull off color....

i think Palmer's post on Allard @ the beginning of this thread is a good example of brilliant

photography in color film, imo.

Tim Hetherington, the esteemed photojournalist and an Oscar nominee for a gritty and harrowing documentary about the Afghan war, has been killed in the war-torn Libyan city of Misrata, according to the president of the agency that represented him.

Another journalist was seriously wounded but his or her identity was not disclosed. Panos Pictures, which employed Hetherington, confirmed that the photographer's family had been notified.

"We're still trying to figure out front lines or house (referring to where he was when killed)," said CSPR agency president Cathy Saypol. "The only thing we know is that he was hit by an RPG with the other guys."

His last Twitter entry appears to have been made on Tuesday: "In besieged Libyan city of Misrata. indiscriminate shelling by Qaddafi forces. No sign of NATO."

A British native, Hetherington was nominated for "Restrepo," a documentary film he co-directed with journalist Sebastian Junger that received an Academy Award nomination this year.

Hetherington spent eight years in West Africa and has reported on social and political issues worldwide, most notably the Liberian conflict.

RIP

^:(

that is terrifying and terrible. really sad to hear...

'no sign of nato'...

the information age makes some things so bizarre...

your last words can be a tweet.

thats amazing hetherington was in

tumultuous regions of afghanistan, west africa, and now was in libya.

utterly fearless.

Tim Hetherington, the esteemed photojournalist and an Oscar nominee for a gritty and harrowing documentary about the Afghan war, has been killed in the war-torn Libyan city of Misrata, according to the president of the agency that represented him.

Literally just woke up and read about this, I'd only just got around to watching Restrepo the other day. After seeing that I had a new appreciation for the journalists putting their life on the line to capture what's happening, what we can't see. I'd always been in awe of them but until you see it through 'their eyes' you can't grasp it. And after this, even more so. Terrible news, RIP.

And yeah, greyghost, the whole Julie Project is just mindblowing.

I've never seen a single photo essay that is that powerful, once I read the last set I cried. Maybe because I was ridiculously hungover or just it was so confronting. The captions she uses to describe the photos are so simple. Short and direct, it really adds to the story you're watching unfold.

^hey, yea, i was gonna write i welled up a bit, knot/chicken bone in throat feelin,

but then i was like, damn girl,, you're such a chick, heh.

seriously tho, extremely moving photo essay...especially that last part w/ the text.

its a funny thing how simple words+ images can create such affects.

i dont know how padilla did it tho, working so intimately

over such a long duration of time with a person and their life...

i might grow to care too much and would be devastated how things turned out.

ok.

this is Markus Hartel

(from the website) fine art street photography by Markus Hartel, New York

Born in Germany, I developed my love for photography when I was a kid. My grandma used to give me her rangefinder camera to take family pictures [...] Coming to New York City in 2003 was a great inspiration and I started documenting every day people in the urban jungle with my camera – I would roam the streets for hours, longing for the next great photograph.

hartel-bw-street-photography-1.jpg

hartel-bw-street-photography-6.jpg

hartel-bw-street-photography-10.jpg

hartel-bw-street-photography-14.jpg

hartel-bw-street-photography-12.jpg

hartel-bw-street-photography-13.jpg

hartel-bw-street-photography-7.jpg

hartel-bw-street-photography-9.jpg

hartel-bw-street-photography-11.jpg

hartel-color-street-photography-6.jpg

hartel-color-street-photography-12.jpg

hartel-color-street-photography-4.jpg

hartel-color-street-photography-17.jpg

MG_1510.jpg

^i like how his work is sorta casual, ordinary moments...but when caught on film,,, seems magical.

makes it seem almost like it's virtually impossible to frame

a poor composition in nyc.

its such a visually alive and rich city,,

i might be goin there soon to visit my brother.

hopefully ill have enough $$ before i leave

to get a new camera(well, it's that or shoes ;) )

'nother...

Sally Mann:

Sally Mann was born in 1951 in Lexington, Virginia, where she continues to live and work. She received a BA from Hollins College in 1974, and an MA in writing from the same school in 1975. Her early series of photographs of her three children and husband resulted in a series called “Immediate Family.” In her recent series of landscapes of Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia, and Georgia, Mann has stated that she "wanted to go right into the heart of the deep dark South." Using damaged lenses and a camera that requires the artist to use her hand as a shutter, these photographs are marked by the scratches, light leaks, and shifts in focus that were part of the photographic process as it developed during the 19th century.

Sally%2BMann.jpg

Sally-Mann-donation_1.jpg

sally-mann-01.jpg

sally-mann-03.jpg

sally-mann-07.jpg

sally-mann-04.jpg

sally-mann-02.jpg

sally-mann-10.jpg

nosefir_1672216i.jpg

SallyMann-01.jpg

SallyMann-03.jpg

4383983135_e76efb6ef6_o.jpg

SALLY-MANN-03.jpg

^so she is truly one of my favorite photographers...

her work, even her stuff of children, is slightly disturbing

in a not-so-typical way, imo,

and certainly a sort of dark vitalist vein

pulsating and creeping thru....

like the inextricable link between and reminder of

life becoming death,decay...etc.

each piece is like a painting with light/still images,,,

• Like 1

allo.

thread = awesome rainyday

work distraction,,,woo-ness.

Mitch Dobrowner grew up in Bethpage on Long Island, NY. Worried about his son's lack of direction, his father got him an old Argus rangefinder camera to "fool around with.

Dobrowner was hooked. He found the images of Ansel Adams and Minor White to be mesmerizing. He quit his job, left home and moved to the Southwest to be near the landscapes that he found so dear. But life got in the way for a while, after he married and had three children. He and his wife set up a design studio and he stopped taking pictures.

Twenty years later, inspired by his wife and kids, he picked up the camera again and began photographing his Southwest surroundings.

The artist describes his subject and his response to it this way: "The Earth is an ever changing eco-system. It's existed well before we were here and will hopefully be here well beyond the time we leave it. It's real, at times beautifully surreal, powerfully haunting and alive, all at the same time."

"While photographing, the world gets quiet around me. Things seem simple again, and I obtain a respect and reverence for the world that is hard to communicate through words. I get into a 'zone' where time and space seem hard for me to measure. For me those moments are a combination of the exterior environment and my own interior state. Hopefully the images presented help communicate what I visualize during those times."

9738_Mitch_Dobrowner_Agathl.jpg

12259Dobrowner_Amoeba.jpg

11656Dobrowner.jpg

9743_Mitch_Dobrowner_Badlan.jpg

12262Dobrowner_Bears.jpg

9769_Mitch_Dobrowner_Benton.jpg

11970_Dobrowner.jpg

11099Dobrowner_Moonrise.jpg

11653Dobrowner.jpg

9768_Mitch_Dobrowner_TTree.jpg

9770_Mitch_Dobrowner_TofS.jpg

9775_Mitch_Dobrowner_STufa.jpg

^^^^mono lake, ca...where scientists found arsenic based life..

so. haunting indeed.

dobrowner is amazing. of course seein ansel adams

in his work.

so breathtaking & powerful & stunning &

so many gorgeous tones,

theres bunch more: http://www.contemporaryworks.net/artists/artist_imgs.php/1/6597/5

enjoy!