Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

insight from some canadian who we'll call...

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by bigpoppa.k, Sep 13, 2001.

1. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

not too sure where to put this one... working on it for a little while now in between work and posting...

Plenty has been written in the papers linking yesterday's events to a sign of America in decline with parallels drawn to Rome's arrogance of power just before it slipped into its irreversible demise. But before we all dust off our mouldy American flags and torch them in the streets, and before we fire our AK47's in the air, dance and celebrate we should be careful about what we plan on giving up. America HAS preserved civilization as we know it in the 20th century. We need only to look to WWII and the Cold War as examples. On both these occasions, and by no coincidence, the U.S. was pitted against utopian inspired political systems that revealed themselves to be what all utopian projects turn out to be - hell on earth.

Why is this important?

As we know, Rome's collapse did not usher in an era of unending prosperity and enlightenment. The Dark Ages that followed were a time of brutality, xenophobia and superstition. Power and wealth was not re-distributed to the needy, but became even more concentrated and unachievable and operated in most cases without the rule of law. Obviously this is the 21st century but the lesson shouldn't be forgotten. There are many utopian inspired world views today competing for our attention (many of them propagated by the veterans of the "Battle of Seattle" etc.) and most of them share one common element - the identification of the U.S. as an obstacle to social progress.

How many experiments are we willing to endure before we realize that no society, like no person, can be perfect. For all of America's greatness it is also a place of extreme decadence. It has made terrible mistakes too. Yes, it will soon become general knowledge that Bin Laden was an American puppet that went bad. But unlike other societies, this dirty laundry will be hung out to dry for all of us to see and judge. Perhaps it won't be regarded as poorly. After all, Bin Laden was a tool used to fight communism - a system responsible for more death and brutality than any other the world has seen (although this point may be hard to find in the papers).

As a Canadian I always restrain myself from the natural tendency we have to criticize the U.S. I was amazed at how many people I heard say, when they saw the WTC coming
    down, "I'm glad I'm Canadian". That lack of identification with a country that has preserved so much of what we regard as essential to being Canadian is sickening. We talk of human rights as if they actually exist outside the liberal inspired institutions that make them real. Institutions that are still defended by the U.S. in very real ways. In Canada we buried a "national hero" who among other claims to fame earned his stripes by cozying up to Castro in Cuba. We applauded this example of Canadian independence from U.S. foreign policy. While we stab our allies in the back we send comedy troupes to American cities to laugh at how they don't know who our PM is and how they think we live in igloos. We require beer commercials and a man named Joe to inspire what's left of our identity. How pathetically narcissistic can a nation be?
    We have come a long way from our
    glory days in WWII when we fought for the ideals we seem to think simply exist because we say they do.

As a politically neutered nation (as we are today but weren't before) it is natural for us to take the high road and criticize. When you don't have to share the burden of "action" then
    criticism is easy. Unfortunately, as the leader of the free world, the U.S. carries the burden of "action" as well the envy and scorn that it attracts from those it has protected and still
    protects. Action creates consequences. In most cases the choices that must be made do not fit our simple good v.s. evil conception of the world. This simple moral framework that
    manages to reduce complex issues to their basest levels will obviously manage to make America's commitments appear equivalent to Iraq's. Most of us know better.

But hey man, that's just my opinion.

2. miz303

miz303 Banned

......great insight on your surroundings...........reks 1-63........

3. Mr.LonelyHeart

Mr.LonelyHeart Member

true, true.

4. ^i'll 2nd that.
    good read.

[This message has been edited by freddy kreuger (edited 09-13-2001).]

5. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

6. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

Here here. Very well written.

7. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

like i said the first time i read this, good post.

[This message has been edited by T.T Boy (edited 09-14-2001).]

8. Mr.LonelyHeart

Mr.LonelyHeart Member

Read this again, and it deserves another bump. very thoughtful and well-put.
    I don't care what anyone says...-you canadians are alright!

mr.mac