Insensitivity to violence in this day and age...

LaCosaNostra

Is it just me, or are you sitting there, watching your TV and somebody gets decapitated, and it's just like eh... People on TV are shot in the face with the most grousome(sp?)depiction of blood and guts being spilled afterward. 9 year old kids don't blink an eye when somebody's arm gets chopped off with a butcher knife.

THAT'S FUCKED UP! In this thread:http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthrea...&threadid=48299 somebody posted a flick of a body, split in two over a track(Also, I am sure that more than 50% of you clicked the link to see the picture!). I don't think anybody was mentally affected by seeing that picture, but if you acutally think about what you just saw it is really fucked up. Hmmm......I must just be rambling now, but that shit is ridiculous... No matter how many times I tell myself that that is so fucked up, and I should be barfing right now it doesn't affect my state of mind at all.

I think it has a lot to do with younger generation's blood lust due to video games. That, and the news. Once a kid reaches 15, he's seen some of the most gruesome shit imaginable...

Thoughts?:o

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the problem is with parents not helping their kids see the difference between reality and entertainment. are you gonna tell me kill bill wasn't a dope fuckin movie? i don't want any of this shit censored. the problem is kids playing on the internet, video games, watchin shit that isn't intended for them, and their parents don't do shit. the world is a fucked up place, and i don't think censorship is the answer.

and just because a movie like kill bill can make me laugh while people are getting butchered, a movie like saving private ryan made me feel sick and depressed.

i don't understand why people say that we are more interested/desensitized to violence than ever before. i don't think so. what about people going to watch the gladiators in rome butcher each other? going to public executions was like party time!

the world is just becoming a smaller place with the media and internet, so parents need to keep an eye on whats goin on. but people have been disgusting pieces of shit since the start. yao ming?

True violence it seems to be everywhere. Children are exposed to violence no matter what. It's just a matter of what context is this violence in that's important. The major problem is that there is not parental guidance like there used to be and kids see violence in all sorts of contexts on tv so maybe they get the wrong idea about something and all of a sudden there is a row about this. I think censorship can impair a childs ability to deal with reality when it comes but then again over liberal gratuity of violence is just as bad on the opposite end of the pole. That's why we need a mediator and mentor.

I forget what dc writer wrote this but I'll quote it here "If the cost of living is so high, then why is life so cheap?".

I know that things like my neighbors house getting shot up twice in the same night and the dude across the street getting kidnapped and set on fire didnt help me out that much. I became ultra descencitized out of necessity. When people im around jump and look scared when they hear gunshots or flinch when some one gets stuck in the face I find myself feeling envious in a way that i dont act like that or that i dont know what they are feeling.

Yeah seriously. People are always like society is so violent, stupid, e.t.c. these days. If you really look at the past people have always have been really fucked up and I actually beleive today that the human race as a whole is more compassionate and intelligent than in the past.

I mean theres so many things you can point to in the past.

Linchings in the south used to be like a community event. People would take pics next to the dead body and all the lynching photos would be posed in the window of the photograph.

There was the colloseum where the opening week they killed like 2000 animals and houndreds of humans as an opening celebration.

I dunno the list goes on, but you can always find peaceful cultures and periods in history and always violent ones. And for the record, people now adays are WAYYYY smarter than they used to be in general. Just in the old days only the upper class smart people had a public voice.

Bye.

See, it's a double-edged sword, though.

I agree that in the past, murder and violence seemed to be more rampant and unchecked/uncontrolled. However, with the increase in knowledge that 'society' has today, also comes the technological changes that accompany said intelligence.

Weapons nowadays are hundreds of times more efficient and deadly than in the past (obviously), and i'm not so sure that the human race's gain in knowledge has led to a decline in murder and violence. Seems just as prevalent to me..

Anyways, desensitization to violence is a fucking given. It's going to happen, and there isn't a fuckload anyone can do about it.. censorship laws have always conflicted with infringements on freedoms and right and all that bullox, so there's always going to be controversial material in the media. It'll just get worse, too.

Really, it boils down to personal choices and morals and such. You can choose to watch/experience the graphic and violent media, or ignore it - it's your choice. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't watched a gorey movie or witnessed some kind of violent act, and that very fact is the reason people are becoming so desensitized.

Or, you know.. whatever.

Fuckasses.

Archived