Infamous sporting moments

Guest imported_Europe

Guest imported_Europe

Being really bored at work, I need to post something.

This thread is about infamous sporting moments, those special events that makes the frontpage and are remembered for years to come. I hope other people will contribute to this thread, remember to google some photos to go with your story.

Starting of with a classic, mad frenchman Eric Cantona dropkicking a badmouthing spectator after he got sent off. With the infamous "Kung-Fu kick" Cantona's volatile temperment led to a court sentence of 120 hours' community service was accompanied by a worldwide ban on Cantona playing football for several months.

http://www.soccernet.com/images/global/cantonaselhurst_sb200x150.jpg'>

http://www.soccerloop.com/pics/pic_contest/soccerloop_contest_0209081004.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KING BLING

^Excuse my ignorance but what was this about?

And to add:

Sept. 19, 2002, Comiskey Park: Royals first-base coach Tom Gamboa was assaulted by 34-year-old William Ligue Jr. and his 15-year-old son. The two jump on Gamboa, kicking and punching him until players and coaches from both sides restored order. A folded-up pocket knife was found on the ground afterward. According to the Daily Southtown, Ligue's son spent one month in jail after pleading guilty last October to charges of aggravated battery and mob action. He was sentenced to five years probation, 30 hours of community service and was ordered to undergo counseling. The elder Ligue has pleaded not guilty to the same charges and is seeking the same punishment as his son.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/09/19/royals_whitesox_ap/lg_spectators_ap.jpg'>

Guest imported_Europe
Originally posted by KING BLING

^Excuse my ignorance but what was this about?

Maradona scored the first goal against England at the 1986 Mexico finals with the use of his hand. The ref allowed it as he thought Maradona headed the ball, but the rest of the world saw the foul.

http://www.tifonet.it/soccer/maradona_hand_of_god_86.gif'>

Later in the game Matradona scored one of the best World Cup goals in history and the game ended 2-0.

http://www.tifonet.it/soccer/maradona_dribbles_7_86.gif'>

After the game Maradona claimed it was "the Hand of God" that scored the goal. Argentina won the tournament and Maradona was named best footballer in the world. England suffered an Argentine complex for many years, untill last years World Cup where they finally beat the Argies. The two nations has had a bitter rivalry, especially after the Falklands War and the Hand of God...

i was watching some tv show and it had a clip of a football(soccer) player on his knees with his hands in the air for kicking the winnig goal. and some kat ran up and kicked him in the face....those kleets will tear your ass up quick. he immediatly fell to the ground, unconciense if i remember correctly.ouch. from now on, whenever i see a victory dance or celebration, im gonna picture the dude/chick getting nailed in the face with iron spikes.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by Europe

Tommie Smith and John Carlos giving the black power salute in the 1968 Summer Olympics

http://www.rightturns.com/images/tsmith.jpg'>

absolutely, good call right there...I had beleived before that the medals were taken but apparently they werent. In refreshing my memory the power of what they did came back to me...

Guest sneak

^^

:shocked:

during the 98 world cup in a crucial game, David Beckham got sent off after kicking one of them argie cunts...we ended up loosing and going out. Beckham became hated in the UK. imagine people buring efergies on street corners...

Guest imported_Europe

Anyway, I would like to share one of the greatest sporting moments of my life. The scene is Wembley, the English national stadium, 1983, the match is England vs. Denmark, a european championsship qualifier.

The score is 0-0 and Denmark gets a penalty. Up steps the little great dane Allan Simonsen... Puts the ball on the spot, takes a deep breath and buries it behind Peter Shilton!!! The whole nation goes into a frenzy!

The danes later qualifies for their first ever European Championsship Finals were they reach the semis without Allan Simonsen who breaks his leg in the opening match against the host nation France.

i dont know too young to remember, i have a glass in my kitchen with a uk map and its location but im at my friends home. i know its near an air force base cause my dad was in the service and thats how we got moved to and from there. if i remember the glass mug correctly its in the southern region.

Guest mikro137

lets not forget the recent blunder of a Pittsburgh Pirates player , when he clubbed a milwalkie brewers sausage....

from www.thepittsburghchannel.com

Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke said the offense is basically a citation, not a criminal act. Simon must pay a $432 fine for disorderly conduct or challenge it at a Sept. 3 hearing in Milwaukee.

"Everyone needs to go back to work and back to baseball," said Clarke. "...I think a more appropriate penalty would be to make the player wear that costume while playing first base."

Four people in sausage costumes traditionally run around the infield warning track between the sixth and seventh innings at Brewers games, much like the pierogie races at PNC Park.

Film of Wednesday night's race showed that when the sausages ran past the Pirates dugout, Simon swung a bat at the Italian sausage and hit her in the head from behind. She tumbled to the ground and took a hot dog down with her.

The woman in the Italian sausage costume is 19 and the woman in the hot dog costume is 21, Clarke said. Neither of them have been identified. Both were treated at the scene for scraped knees.

On Thursday, Simon told reporters that he only wanted to tap the mascot on the head and allow her to finish the race. He said he meant no harm.

"I'm not that type of player," he said.

With the sausages running so close to the dugout, Simon said he thought they were playing along with the Bucs.

"It's a lesson," said Simon (pictured, right). "You don't want those types of things that might change your career like that. I think this might change not only me, but every other player in the big leagues to watch what you do before you decide to do some things. You might think, 'What might happen if you want to play or have some fun?'"

Simon said he spoke with the woman who was hit but didn't go into what was said between them. He gave the Brewers an autographed bat for each of the two women.

Pirates outfielder Reggie Sanders said he thought the weight of the head on the top-heavy sausage costume may have contributed to the fall.

"It maybe made it look worse than it was," Sanders said. "It was an unfortunate situation and, hopefully, it gets resolved."

Clarke agreed, saying funny gestures can sometimes cross the line. He likened it to pulling a chair away as someone is about to sit down, leaving the person embarrassed but not seriously hurt.

"There was no intent to injure," he said.

Rick Schlessinger, Brewers executive vice president for business operations, had much stronger words.

"This is one of the most outrageous things I've ever seen inside a ballpark or outside a ballpark," he added. "It sickened me to see it."

The Pirates issued a statement Thursday, apologizing to the Brewers and their fans and saying the matter would be addressed internally.

"I've been in law enforcement for 25 years," Clarke said. "Just when you think you've seen it all, you wake up one day and realize you haven't."

:lol:

Great thread, Europe!

Feebruary 21, 2000, with only 2.7 seconds left in the game, Boston Bruin Marty McSorley skated up behind Vancouver Canuck Donald Brashear and laced him hard in the right temple with his stick. Brashear hit the ice hard with his head and went out like a light.

Canucks general manager Brian Burke, once the NHL's chief disciplinarian, said the police should stay out.

McSorley is best known for serving as Wayne Gretzky's protector with the Edmonton Oilers and then with Los Angeles as the two were traded together in one of hockey's biggest deals.

Brashear, 28, fought with McSorley just two minutes into Monday's game and clearly got the best of his opponent.

He landed several hard lefts before dragging McSorley down to the ice. McSorley challenged Brashear again in the first period, but Brashear skated away, leaving McSorley with a double-minor for cross-checking and roughing and a 10-minute misconduct.

Brashear also was involved in a goal-mouth tangle that caused a knee injury to Bruins goalie Byron Dafoe.

As on-ice policemen, Brashear and McSorley are natural rivals by job description.

``Brash fought him one time and beat him and beat him bad like he always does against him,'' Vancouver's Markus Naslund said. ``I don't know if he was so embarrassed and gutless that that is the way he's got to take it out.''

McSorley, who has only two goals and three assists, said he was trying to goad Brashear as the game was ending.

In only 27 games this season, McSorley is second on the Bruins with 62 penalty minutes. With 3,381 career minutes, McSorley trails only Dave ``Tiger'' Williams and Hunter on the NHL list.

Police have gotten involved in several previous on-ice conflicts in the NHL.

In 1970, Wayne Maki of the St. Louis Blues and Ted Green of Boston were the first NHL players taken to court after a stick-swinging duel at a September 1969 preseason game. Green, who fractured his skull, and Maki, who was not injured, were acquitted of assault charges.

In the most recent, Minnesota's Dino Ciccarelli was sentenced to one day in jail and fined $1,000 in 1988 for striking Luke Richardson several times in the head with his stick.

Who remembers this?

On April 15th 1989 one of the largest tragedies in English football occured.

Liverpool FC was playing the FA-Cup semi final against Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough in Sheffield. The interest for the match was enormous, and many Liverpool supporters could not get a ticket. In the hours before the match the streets outside the stadium was overcrowded. The turnstiles were few, and it took very long time to get the crowd through. People got impatient when they realized that they wouldn't get in before the match started. An uproar was likely to come.

This happened at a time when trouble occasionally happened at English football stadiums. The Heysel tragedy was only four years old, and still in the minds of the policemen in charge. They were both unexperienced and very nervous.

Ten minutes before kick-off the order was given to open the gates, to

avoid a catastrophe. And that action was just the thing that led to the enormous tragedy.

Large numbers of spectators now poured into the stands, people were crushed against the fence and barriers (this was before stadiums had seats and perimeter fences were still up). Those who tried to climb over to escape into the field were driven back by the police and the guards. Poeple were crushed and trampled to death.

The match was stopped 6 minutes past three.

95 people were dead. A few weeks later another person died from the injuries; the number of victims of the Hillsborough tragedy was 96, but countless more were injured.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1160000/images/_1160216_hillsborough150.jpg'>

http://www.cnnsi.com/soccer/world/news/1999/04/15/hillsborough_remembered/t1_hillsborough_all_01.jpg'>

http://www.cnnsi.com/soccer/world/news/1999/04/14/hillsborough_anniversary/t1_hillsborough_all.jpg'>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/765000/images/_768142_hillsborough150.jpg'>

http://www.chairboys.ndirect.co.uk/justice/memorial.jpg'>

I was at my grandmas house when this happened. She lives just up the road from Hillsborough. Only a few weeks earlier I had been to my first ever football game there. It was chaos when this happened, pure fucking chaos. I was only six, but hearing all these sirens, seeing all these people running towards, and away from, the ground scared the shit out of me....

RIP

I remember that. Fucking guys, it's cool to be a big fan and all, but acting like lemmings and chickens is another story. Those people are idiots.

I remember in India my uncle was gonna take me to see a soccer match at Salt Lake Stadium in Calcutta. I don't quite remember, but for some reason, we didn't go. Instead, we watched it on tv and saw all hell break loose. Tear gas, beatings, typical riot stuff. I became very angry at my uncle for not taking us after seeeing this.

for Canucks...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2002/09/27/henderson_interview/t1_henderson_ap.jpg'>

the 72' Summit goal !

---------------------------------------------

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/photo/ph_history_timeline_big4.jpg'>

Joe Carter's homerun!

--------------------------------------------

http://undervisning.doping.dk/db/filarkiv/4253/6f100ksn.jpg'>

Ben Johnson gets stripped of Gold

Guest WebsterUno

*FUCK THE BRONCOS*

((Woodson cited, fans arrested after snowball attack))

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- After a night of being pelted with snowballs, some spiked with batteries, one Oakland Raiders player faced misdemeanor charges and another had charges filed against a fan whom he confronted after the game.

The Raiders were angry about attacks they said occurred throughout their 27-21 overtime loss Monday night at Mile High Stadium in Denver and intensified as they left the field.

Moments after the game, Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson allegedly hurled a snowball that struck a female fan in the face and offensive tackle Lincoln Kennedy went after a fan who had hit him in the face with a snowball.

"I do know a lot of people were concerned for their own safety late in that ball game," Raiders coach Jon Gruden said. "It was an ugly scene, dangerous. It was target shooting, that's what it was like."

Several Raiders on Tuesday sought an apology from Broncos officials and Gruden said he expected a league investigation. Defensive tackle Grady Jackson said a snowball thrown near him contained a battery.

"It was surprising. I would have understood that if we had won the game," tight end Rickey Dudley said. "But they won the game, they should have been happy."

FUCK EM BAAAD...they lost twice to us last season.

hahahahahahaha