1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

"indie" music heads, need some opinions...

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by mental invalid, Apr 5, 2002.

1. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

"indie" music heads, need some opinions...

Discussion started by mental invalid - Apr 5, 2002

just want some recommendations, brief decsription of sounds, what sucks, what rocks....whatever ya got, just looking for knowledge....i put my faith into the crew of 12oz....lemme know....;)

thanks

764-Hero
    Archers Of Loaf
    Automaton Adventure Series
    Black Heart Procession
    Cadallaca
    Caustic Resin
    The Crabs
    Creeper Lagoon
    Crooked Fingers
    Death Cab For Cutie
    The Delusions
    Dismemberment Plan
    Dub Narcotic Sound System
    Halo Benders
    Iqu
    Juno
    Pete Krebs & Gossamer Wings
    The Need
    Pedro The Lion
    Red Stars Theory
    The Terror Sheets
    This Busy Monster
    Track Star

mental invalid - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  2. beard

beard Guest

beard - Replied Apr 5, 2002

MoDeSt MoUsE

3. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

-Rage- - Replied Apr 5, 2002

HoOgIe BaNdS

-Rage- - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  4. mental invalid

mental invalid - Replied Apr 5, 2002

beards if you ever return an email, perhaps i could give you something that may appease that modest mouse craving....bastard....;)

oh thats not right ...nevermind, ill just email it ya.....hold on....gimme a sec...

5. beard

beard Guest

beard - Replied Apr 5, 2002

hah.. dude, i feel bad, i havent emailed anyone back. typing is like kryptonite to me these days. if its more than like 3 sentences, its too much work hahaha

i'll go return your email now though :)

guilty.

where are my cds? :crazy:

6. mental invalid

blah, you got your reasons dood....i shoulda just sent ya the goddam link to begin with...dont type if ya aint feeling it, i know your out there existing somewhere....good enuff for me....check your email....

come on rage....you dont know any of these bands bro?;)

your cds have taken on a new discovery....im swamped with what to send, the link will explain more....

7. railroadjerk

railroadjerk Guest

railroadjerk - Replied Apr 5, 2002

alright duder, its early but these bands are along my expertise.

764-HERO - awesome band with that subpop/up records sound (especially up). pretty guitar and vocal heavy indie rock. nothing too too out of the ordinary.

dismemberment plan - pop/punk? emo? indie rock? just get some of it its really interesting music. hard at times, and sometimes they even use processed beats giving it a weird dubbed sound. also fall under my impression of being "post punk" biting guitars with less punk vocals.

archers of loaf - i dont know if im going out of my way, but archers of loaf fits into my idea of "post punk" rock scene of the 90s. distorted guitar, loud multiple vocals. just rock and roll.

halo benders - i cant say enough about these guys. pure lo fi indie noise. its calvin (from dub narcotic) and doug from built to spill (and caustic resin...its like six degrees here). multiple vocals, the droning of calvin and the high pitch of doug over really jangly repetitive beats...but its not boring.

caustic resin - reminds me of built to spill, but thats because they share members. stripped down but not necessarily "lo fi" indie rock. on the rock side of things with bts.

death cab for cutie - smooth soothing indie rock. great vocals and great hooks and weird guitar solos

pedro the lion - people call them emo, but i hate that term im giong to call them indie rock. their guitar sometimes reminds me of a built to spill or a more together pavement. vocals are slack but bright at the same time. good music to listen all the way through and relax to for the most part...

i dont konw if these help but its my initial impression of some of the bands you listed. ill drop you an email sometime about some stuff.

8. mental invalid

good shit...i was waiting for you to chime in railroad....sweetness.....

ah, ha....youre email isnt available bro.....fucking shady mofo, so hit me up....you won a prize....well really its just a link....that you probably already have anyways....but yeah hit my profile, email me so i can shoot ya it over....o-tay....now were rocking....;)

9. railroadjerk

railroadjerk Guest

railroadjerk - Replied Apr 5, 2002

freightfetish@hotmail.com

oh and all the bands i mentioned are fuggin awesome, so take your chances with them all. expand yr musical vocab (thats my sonic youth indie rawk use of YR).

im out for the weekend, but ill probably have time to check my email sometime.

10. Rivers Cuomo

Rivers Cuomo Guest

Rivers Cuomo - Replied Apr 5, 2002

Pedro the Lion is amazing. Juno is really good too.

11. mental invalid

...thanks rivers....

check your email jerk....;)

12. Zack Morris

Zack Morris 12oz Veteran Member

Zack Morris - Replied Apr 5, 2002

you should chedk ou am/fm
    god speed you black emporer
    the rocking horse winner
    elliott

I will add morewhen I think of them.

Zack Morris - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  13. mental invalid

"god speed you black emporer "

zach my boy just flipped me that cd....wow.....thats some serious musical journey they are on.....really heavy....still trying to soak it in...

you should check out sigour ros....pretty cool....

14. bug

bug Guest

bug - Replied Apr 5, 2002

built to spill
    polvo
    mineral
    christie front drive
    biolermaker

15. mental invalid

...saw built to spill at roseland, nyc.....sick....twas the best advice beardo ever gave me, excluding the letter "k"....