Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

In Praise of Idleness

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Ski Mask, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

I was looking up some online copies of stuff by bertrand russell so I could cut and paste a long passage that I didnt feel like typing out of the book, when I ran across this article. I know theres a few people on here who will love this, so here it is:
    In Praise of Idleness
    By Bertrand Russell http://www.inquiria.com/russell/idleness.html

"I think that there is far too much work done in the world, that immense harm is caused by the belief that work is virtuous, and that what needs to be preached in modern industrial countries is quite different from what always has been preached."

"Let us take an illustration. Suppose that, at a given moment, a certain number of people are engaged in the manufacture of pins. They make as many pins as the world needs, working (say) eight hours a day. Someone makes an invention by which the same number of men can make twice as many pins: pins are already so cheap that hardly any more will be bought at a lower price. In a sensible world, everybody concerned in the manufacturing of pins would take to working four hours instead of eight, and everything else would go on as before. But in the actual world this would be thought demoralizing. The men still work eight hours, there are too many pins, some employers go bankrupt, and half the men previously concerned in making pins are thrown out of work. There is, in the end, just as much leisure as on the other plan, but half the men are totally idle while half are still overworked. In this way, it is insured that the unavoidable leisure shall cause misery all round instead of being a universal source of happiness. Can anything more insane be imagined? "

"In the past, there was a small leisure class and a larger working class. The leisure class enjoyed advantages for which there was no basis in social justice; this necessarily made it oppressive, limited its sympathies, and caused it to invent theories by which to justify its privileges. These facts greatly diminished its excellence, but in spite of this drawback it contributed nearly the whole of what we call civilization. It cultivated the arts and discovered the sciences; it wrote the books, invented the philosophies, and refined social relations. Even the liberation of the oppressed has usually been inaugurated from above. Without the leisure class, mankind would never have emerged from barbarism."

its not that long an article...give it a read....

2. kid toucher

kid toucher Member

3. aymet one

aymet one Guest

This made my evening. Thank you ese.

4. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

good stuff....i loved the quote about the pin manufacturing....

------------------
    brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

5. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

that pin thing is genuis. i think ill have to check out the site.

6. alkaline

alkaline Elite Member

Thanks, ese.

------------------
    Al
    Stonecutters #1

7. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

*bump* off page 2

8. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

9. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

i'll read it when I am sober..i read the firs half of it and i could not compreghend...so I will read it tomorrow...for now..good night...i type prett y good to be drunk..go me . I knew i was good at something.

------------------
    til I change my mind..STRAIGHT EDGE!!!!!

10. alkaline

alkaline Elite Member

It’s amazing that Russell wrote most of those essays in the early part of the 20th century. He was definitely thinking outside of the box.

------------------
    Al
    Stonecutters #1

11. cracked ass

cracked ass Guest

Yes...perfect...I want to slice the top off a thousand skulls, drop this article in there, and sew the scalps back on.
    I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have the English skills or the attention span to read and absorb this shit. You watch too much TV...or you work too much. Stay educated, stay sharp, the powers that be want you just the opposite, don't fall for their shit. And quit your job.

12. brown twinkie

brown twinkie Veteran Member

thanks for the post ese.
    i used to think about this stuff alot more a couple of years ago.......when i was loafing around after jobs......
    this would be a good thing to mass email friends and family with....
    and write out on a wall or somethin'...

[This message has been edited by brown twinkie (edited 09-06-2001).]