Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Images of US soldiers killed in Iraq -- what the U.S. didn't want you to see

Discussion in 'News' started by TheoHuxtable, Apr 23, 2004.

1. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable Senior Member

The U.S. government prevented these photos from being aired in the US; afraid that people would see how bad the war really is.

http://www.50mmlosangeles.com/forums/us-military0750mm.jpg'>
    [img]http://www.50mmlosangeles.com/forums/us-military0150mm.jpg'>
    [img]http://www.50mmlosangeles.com/forums/coalition_kia_iraq_0000450mm.jpg'>

2. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

they look like regular old dead people... just wearing funny clothes...

I think you've got ahold of a non-issue...

And what, exactly, would be the point of showing those images? What does that prove?

It's like showing pictures of the bodies at a car wreck, and if you can't understand why that's NOT news then... you probably don't get some of Andy Warhol's earlier works, and possibly never will...

3. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable Senior Member

The "point" is left up to the viewer.

It also may provide a little shock value since it isn't everyday that you see images of US soldiers who just got shot to death in the streets of Fallujah, or blown up by a roadside bomb in Baghdad.

But like I said, everyone will have mixed feelings. I'm not here to make an "issue" about it.

4. fethasmcgraw

fethasmcgraw Junior Member

5. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

^yeah, maybe you're not aware of the implicit contract involved with becoming a soldier... Admittedly I've seen more 'dead soldiers' involved in the struggle on these streets here IN America but... fancy clothes and a foreign location doesn't make these deaths any more compelling or pointless...

In America those pictures are NEARLY weightless from a political standpoint. Most Americans understand the commitment/sacrifice of the soldier and consider battle scene images of the dead to be both tasteless and offensive. Every one of those kids has a family here, in America.

The display of those images serves as nothing but a detached disrespect for the Soldier's surviving family members. Those aren't 'compelling' images of war. Those are clinically sterile pictures of dead bodies...

THIS is a 'compelling image of war"... notice the differences.

[​IMG]

6. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

http://www.drudgereport.com/z1.jpg'> [img]http://www.drudgereport.com/z4.jpg'>

[img]http://www.drudgereport.com/z5.jpg'>

While I understand your point, Smart, I still believe these are compelling as well. Much of its weight is derived from the fact that these are images that [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34864-2004Apr22.html]our government has banned[/url] from being shown in the press.

7. metallix

metallix Elite Member

8. Poop Man Bob

9. metallix

metallix Elite Member

10. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

That's the nicest hearst I've ever seen...

11. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

PMB... what I keep trying to say, and regarless of what that site (that I haven't visited) says...

These images aren't banned for political reasons... Any adult understands that every soldier lost in Iraq comes home in a box, draped in a flag. There isn't any confusion about that...

Now, essentially this is tasteless stuff... it's pictures of the transport of bodies...

If you did the same thing with the bodies of people killed in car wrecks or kids that overdose, the result would be the same censorship.

The word 'compelling' suggests an inherent NEED to be seen... this is not the case with these flicks... The numbers are reported nightly on the news, and as of a few days ago, more soldiers have died "after" the war than "during" the war... I don't need to see a casket to understand that sentence...

Even if... Actually, Especially if these are anonymous images of a cargo hold full of caskets. Each of those caskets is/was a real person... I don't mean a 'real person' in the abstract sense. I mean, it's Jermaine from down the block. Even though you can't see him inside the box, it's not very cool to use his lifeless body, in transport to it's final resting place, as fodder for some political argument.

What the 'opposition' is attempting to do with these pictures is dehumanize these people and turn their deaths into a vehicle for their political agenda. Who these people REALLY were doesn't matter... for all you know everyone of those soldiers could have been the most gung-ho kid in school before they shipped out to war...

You don't know because they don't want you to know. They want these bodies to exist as numbers only, they don't want them to have a background or family... They are waiting until after the grave to rob these soldiers of their personalities ONLY for political gain.

Worthless crap.

12. metallix

metallix Elite Member

yo mAN HOW DO You even know theres bodies inside those caskets? they could be empty.

13. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

14. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

er.. uh... this argument is idiotic on it's face...

There are all kinds of 'unprotected' speech... you can't yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater (if there isn't one)... you can't slander or libel others, you can't incite a riot...

Even though the release of these photos was obtained under the guise of the Freedom of Info Act, it's really an invasion of privacy to display these images...

I understand why the Gov censored them, it was the wrong approach but it doesn't mean that these pictures "NEED to be seen"...

Have some fucking respect... just because we can't see the dead bodies doesn't mean they died in a vacuum. It doesn't stop us from disputing the neccessity of their deaths. It doesn't stop us from knowing the numbers of the dead or arguing the merits of the war...

15. Poop Man Bob

Understanding what occurs and having it placed on the frontpages of newspapers [which would otherwise occur] are two entirely different things. I fully believe these pictures are banned for political reasons. The powers were around [in some form] during Vietnam, and they understand that once public opinion shifts against a war, it's very difficult to keep at the war and win an upcoming election. It's the same reason that coffins are now called "transfer tubes."

These pictures are more than dead bodies, and I'm sure you understand that. There is a stronger than usual emotional response to the coffin of a soldier who died serving his country. While bodies of those that died in a car accident may be disturbing, soldiers' bodies/coffins are two different things.

Images carry much strong connotations/emotions.

Okay .. you lost me here. I presume you're railing against those who believe the pictures should be released in order to, as you suggest, further their political careers, but I'm not sure. Assuming that's true, wouldn't it serve their purpose much more effectively if people viewed them as actual humans/neighbors/sons, rather than simply numbers? One can assume that the public support of the war would drop significantly if everyone viewed the bodies as someone they knew vs. a random person who exists only on paper.

Or is my premise false, in that you are railing against those in power for not allowing the pictures to be seen [which wouldn't make sense given the tone of the rest of your post]?