Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

im putting out a mag

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by taco bell bomber, Jan 9, 2002.

1. taco bell bomber

taco bell bomber Senior Member

i will be putting out a magazine...about 25 pages..
    now heres the tricky part..i want to do it in color..but if i do it in color its going to cost about $4.50-5.00..is there people on here who would buy the mag?? because if not im not gonna bother putting in color..im just going to put it in black and white and send it for free..but id like to be able to do some quality stuff...because half the style in graff is do to color..so send me some feedback..if u realyl wouldnt get the mag then be honest..and jus say no..thanks peace
    o the first mag is going ot consist of bombing from all over the us..fr8s..and a 2 page nace tribute if able to be filled with my flicks..
    perhaps an interview with a few writers that i have to speak to. so yea thats the break down of it.so let me know thanks

2. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

you start small and move onto larger more expensive shit..start with black and white giving cats props for different spots and if kids like your shit move onto making more specific shit..color..sections and shit..you know.

3. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Might I suggest starting off small too with a b/w zine maybe even 1/4 or 1/2 size. Similar to HelmetHeds. Hook it up for free for a while and try to get sponsors and ads to help pay some of the costs for color. Why don't you talk to Devilush? If you need help promoting or distributing drop me an e-mail.

4. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

tacobell which btk you down with..

5. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Veteran Member

now, while i usually cant turn down free things, i dunno, if the mags got alot of good shit (personally i like an even mix of handstyles-fr8s-street bombing) then i would be willing to pay the price for color because thats the price that i see most mags going for anyway. definetly have interviews, i dunno, i just really like interviews for some reason, but definetly have those. so i dunno, id be willing to pay for color i suppose if your sure itll be worth my while to buy it, but if its a black and white job then send me a copy.

if you need contributions im down to help in whatever way i can, i shoot alot of photos so maybe i can be of some help there, theyre mostly fine art shit though and stuff i try to relate to graf, among other things, i got some flicks too and various interesting things you might like.

i myself was thinking of doing a zine, i got this idea the other day while riding in the city, flick all the doors and have the first issue be just NYC doors. i saw more than enough doors covered top to bottom in tight handstyles and shit that i think could fill a zine by itself, would anyone be interested in something like that? like maybe the first issue could be just handstyles and i could have another issue devoted to all stickers and another for all freights, but have those as kind of specials and just regular issues throughout, i dunno, i am kinda already doing a zine for something else but kinda wanna do a graf one, if anyone has any ideas or wants to contribute ill be more than happy to accept i guess.

6. EL MASKO

EL MASKO Elite Member

Well put it this way...A guy I know put out a color magazine. 28 pages to be exact. Now I don't know how many copies he made, but it cost him $8,000! Are you ready for something like that?

7. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder 12oz Loyalist

tyler i think taco might have just done the same thing. atleast i think he was putting together a zine of just nyc doors.

8. taco bell bomber

taco bell bomber Senior Member

yes i was doing the door mag.. i have all the flicks scanned for that and in order of where i want them..that would be jus black and white tho...see but the thing is.. i wont be paying 8000 for this..im doing it all in computer graphics because the teacher is cool as shit and told me all i have to pay for is the paper..soifi get high quality photo paper and use his like top of the line printer then i should be all set..but i think ur right i will do a black and white first...and for the record.. i wouldnt put out a mag that wouldnt be worth what people would pay for it..i also wouldnt put out a mag i wouldnt buy...i dunno seems like some mags dont seem to care as much

9. retard

retard Member

taco!

im in jersey if you need help at all e-mail me !...

new jersey people have got to unite too much beef in this state.

retard...

10. zxcvb

zxcvb New Jack

in the same boat

i am thinking of doing sorta the same thing too but on the other side of the world i would be interested to see how it goes ,but i wouldn't give up on the idea ill buy a copy if no one else does :idea:

11. ASER1NE

ASER1NE Veteran Member

naw dood , the thing is start small......like under 10 GRAFF pages , but make 1/2 colour , then if you see it goin good , beef it up a few pages......................................then start selling them for a few buks with a few more colour pages..............................................then go into a real mag ( if you wanna take it that far)

there was a few mag's that started that way round here and im pretty sure they r all pretty successful now.............

my O2

12. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

i'd buy any graf mag AS LONG AS IT'S GOOD. if you make a good mag taco, people will buy it. point blank. as the voices said to kev, "if you build it, they will come"

13. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

...taco what about half b/w and half color...paper quality will enhance b/w...i guess what im asken' is if could you undercut some cost by having half and half, but have it all on nice gloss paper, like full color...would that cutthe price to say $3...thus you dont lose all color, you still have quality paper, and you undercut the cost of most established zines and yet come on top of the black and white...i guess im looking for a grey area between b/w and color that could work for your best interest...it seems most are willing to pay for something they deem as quality...and considering that the mag will probably lose money before, if youre lucky and good enough, it turns a profit...at which time you can reinvest it in the overall quality of the mag and hopefully youll expand your circulation and you can hire me....but seriously ya got some good flicks ive seen in the bench...one question is do you have enough of a resource to continue to retain quality flicks...luckily this task is in some ways moot because writers themselves will gladly give you the goods if its a mag they wanna be "up" in...time will tell....but there are other aspects you may wanna consider before you launch...ask raven im sure he would drop a little knowledge as you get more serious...r

14. jah

jah Elite Member

color or no mag.... i wont even usually look at black and white flix. if u can freak it as good as the bigger mag companies then people will buy it. i think. im not a business major so my oppinions probably not that valid anyway....

15. KASTsystem

KASTsystem Member

make your mag half-page size to start off with. it will save you money. like mental invalid said, you should make it half color and half b&w. then, drop an issue every 2 weeks, in order to keep people's mouth watering for more. send the first 2 or 3 out for free. then start charging $3 a mag. if you have a half-sized/half-color mag, $3 should do the trick.