im pretty sure my ceiling is going to colapse

iloveboxcars

facts:

++there are currently 2 holes in my ceiling.

++i cut both of them in there.

++water was dripping from these areas.

++when i first cut into them water poured out like (tasteless joke ahead) a wave in indonesia.

++i currently have my trash can underneath one of the holes.

++the trash can must be emptied twice a day otherwise it will over flow. it isn't some pussy trash can either. it reaches up to my knees.

++yes, the trash can not being a pussy is, indeed a fact.

++i just noticed water dripping from my light fixture in my kitchen.

++when i first noticed the dripping i took a canvas i had up on the wall off of the wall. it was near the dripping and i wasnt in the mood to let it get fucked up.

++behind this canvas there is mold.

++i called the apartment fixer guy 4 days ago. the first day he said he'd be in later with the ceiling fixer guy. he came back later that day and said they wont be able to make it until tomorrow. the next day he came and said he wont be able to make it until thursday. he didn't even show up today to tell me he's still getting paid to pretend he is doing something.

++i left my camera in california otherwise there would be pictures with this thread.

++ did you know a bold + looks thr same as a regular font +?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by ese@Jan 6 2005, 10:17 PM

are they dealing with a restoration company, or is he just calling in his own people?

calling in his own people.

i'm alittle scared actually, because he said the roofer will be in to "patch the hole up"

i seriously hope he doesnt think patching the holes up are going to do anything. if so.. my lease is up in a month anyway.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars+Jan 7 2005, 12:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iloveboxcars - Jan 7 2005, 12:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ese@Jan 6 2005, 10:17 PM

are they dealing with a restoration company, or is he just calling in his own people?

calling in his own people.

i'm alittle scared actually, because he said the roofer will be in to "patch the hole up"

i seriously hope he doesnt think patching the holes up are going to do anything. if so.. my lease is up in a month anyway.

[/b]

shit. sounds like he doesn't have any kind of insurance on the place. if he did he would have called a restoration company in for somthing that big. shit would already be fixed. if it drags out, or the contractors seem extra shady, I'd suggest moving.

Originally posted by »§ÜGÅR«@Jan 7 2005, 01:24 AM

threaten to call the health department or something. Mold in your home is never a healthy thing. Maybe that will scare them into lighting a fire under their asses to get the job done. It's not like you're living there for free..

No, this is beyond serious.

One of my friends lived in a house that was leaking in this manner. She called the city inspectors and they condemned the building so that it couldn't be rented further, and recommended that she moved out. This action fucked them so severely that not only are they selling the building, but she got 7 months free rent at ~$700 a month.

Do it. You'll thank yourself later, even if you do have to move.

Guest porksandwich
Get a disposable camara and take pictures, especially of the mold. If they don't do anything to fix it, check into AZ housing laws that should be available on the internet. You should be able to get your money back at least (from the leak, not the robbery).
\

If you're paying to live there and there's mold on the walls from the leaking, that's a "health hazard". They can't fuck around with that. Regardless, it sucks, my old house leaked badly and had mold and shit. Not a nice thing.

If the apartment above does not have leaks, then you may have an insulation compromise.

If there is duct or pipes above you, then there may be a hole in the insulation. Insulation must be air tight to work or your pipes/duct will gather moisture and leak or drip. Any holes in insulation, will compromise "the seal of protection" and the insulation becomes useless. Over time mold will build up if the water stands.

The ceiling tiles can't withstand water build up and they collapse and break apart...

Or there may be a leaking pipe which is a whole different problem...especially if its a shit pipe.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars@Jan 6 2005, 10:18 PM

actually, 1sec just reminded me, i need to check to see if my bank has finally returned my money.

whatd they buy?

in my sisters apartment, this has happened three different times for two different reasons. it was in her bedroom and closet. they came and "fixed it" three times. i told her ass to call the health department but i dont think she has.

Originally posted by Hermdog@Jan 7 2005, 09:01 AM

If the apartment above does not have leaks, then you may have an insulation compromise.

If there is duct or pipes above you, then there may be a hole in the insulation. Insulation must be air tight to work or your pipes/duct will gather moisture and leak or drip. Any holes in insulation, will compromise "the seal of protection" and the insulation becomes useless. Over time mold will build up if the water stands.

The ceiling tiles can't withstand water build up and they collapse and break apart...

Or there may be a leaking pipe which is a whole different problem...especially if its a shit pipe.

I would suggest going the GnomeToys route. If this were your apartment then finding the source of leakage like Hermdog suggests would be a good thing.

For anyone dealing with similar issues, you might want to know that after some years insulation starts to sag and needs to be replaced.

the last spot i lived in i was on the groundfloor under an office on night there toilet over flowed and filled my drop ceiling until it burst leaking shitty water all over my back room, computers turn tables were gilligans island status.

it happened twice in the back room there and once in my bedroom, yes onto my bed.

Anyway i bounced on that landlord owing 6 months rent.

I hate leaks now and have trouble even going to the bathroom. luckily i have a lil bowl in the corner of my room which i go in and the lady take it out, when its full. good luck man.