Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

I'm Baaaaack...

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Sparoism, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

First off, I'd like to apologize to Metropolitan Mayhem (in public)- DUDE- your Postal system is on some other shit...I'll send it out- AGAIN- but if it comes back- AGAIN- you gotta come pick it up...unless Mr. ABC hooks me up w/ a grand tour of your fine city. Once again, My Apologies...you are a scholar and a gentleman for your patience. (Good thing you didn't send cash, hahaha.)

Well, I may not be here as often as before, but I'll try to hold it down.

The ink distribution thing may be a wash as my hookup is in the process of relocating and is blowing out his stock of all his toxic shit as we speak...and, I'm nowhere NEAR being able to afford any of it. Maybe he'll hold on to some good shit for me...All I want is the Garvey and Specialty ink. I got the last can of blue A-grade Marsh, though...hahaha.

Maybe what I'll do is just try to redirect everyone to the proper sources, with a good cover story of course, free of charge. It's the least I can do.

I'll answer any questions as long as they make sense and are at least 80% correctly spelled. That's the only condition I place upon my advice.

Nice to be back....3....2...1....GO!

(Oh, the only trick I learned in the past month is this- Tria Pantone process black ink seems to be a good refill option for all black Chartpak markers. It's sold in any store that carrries Tria markers (I got mine on sale at Utrecht for 99 cents a bottle). I've been filling these by gently pulling the nib out (wearing gloves) and dripping the ink in...about 10 drops is plenty, I found. Pilot ink will probably work just as well if you can't find the Tria refill ink. If you overfill them they'll bleed and drip all over the place, and not in a good way. Don't try to pull the back off, the case will usually crack and you'll end up with a huge mess and a broken pen 99% of the time.)

2. MAR

MAR Veteran Member

This should get stickied. I was wondering is there anyway to get fiebings out of wood. I spilled it on my work space and its bothering me.

I need to work outside.......I've lost at least half my braincells making retarded inks.

my newest favorite ink is 3/4 pentouch silver .5 and the rest pilot. looks really weird like tarnished silver. I like it but every time i open my container of it I loose half my IQ.

3. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

i'll sticky it if it gets good feedback

4. metropolitanmayhem

metropolitanmayhem Member

haha cheers shai, the good ol ounce was missing you words of wisdom

5. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

Believe it or not, a lot of what I know and share I learned from my dad, the old-school graphic designer...who doesn't like graffiti.

I also read tons of art technique books. I've found some really cool tricks that with a little imagination and effort can be applied to graff.

Almost all of the jobs I've had have also taught me a thing or two along the way, as well. You know, you get bored at work, start looking around...hey, I can USE this! For example, Marsh ink- warehouse job. Garvey and Mean Streaks- supermarket clerk. Screen ink- postermaking. The print shop was a good place to experiment with labels, and I figured out how to do manual layout and pasteup so I could do copy art. This was in the pre-computer days....now I just use Adobe or Corel 90% of the time. Less messy. I also learned about color theory from printing on an offset machine and how to make camera ready proofs. Some more color theory came from when I did furniture and house restoration with my dad, and learned all about paint and solvents from him and just messing around, trying to get different effects. We used to use a lot of Rusto bucket paint for metalwork since its the fastest and cheapest way to protect metal (and it lasts forever). We used a lot of One-Shot for detail work, too. He managed a paint store for a while, and naturally I asked a lot of questions...I still call him if I get stuck sometimes on a project. He's all about computers nowadays, and for the most part I'm right there with him. I mean, I do most of my sketching with Corel Paint- if I screw up, I undo what I did. And, it beats lugging around all those sketchbooks when I move. One of my ongoing projects is scanning all of my best bookwork and compiling a "greatest hits" kind of thing. It's definitely a labor of love...and frustration, and monotony...

My current gig (legal researcher) isn't quite the fount of graff-related knowledge that I am accustomed to, but it's helped me be more objective and I apply that to rest of my life everyday. It definitely comes in handy when I am trying to develop new stuff, as I am a lot more thorough and observant than before. I'd come up with a new color or something, and I wouldn't be able to reproduce it since I didn't keep track of the steps involved. Now, I take notes and pay closer attention to what I'm doing so I can go back and do it again if I want to or tell someone the steps to follow.

Graff has taught me a lot, and has motivated me to learn a lot of things I may have otherwise passed by and the value of cross-application. I highly doubt that anything I have made or use in my art was originally intended to be used for self-promotion. But, that's what its all about.

Coloring inside the lines might get you an A in art class, but if you're creative in any way, it's pretty damned boring.

6. i_write

i_write Junior Member

haha .. im liking that quote ..

'Coloring inside the lines might get you an A in art class, but if you're creative in any way, it's pretty damned boring.'

7. KARE?

KARE? Member

this thread dies hella fast