Illustrator

dosoner

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm teachin myself after effects..shit's like...so tedious but so fun too...i just wish i had a better machine to work on...cuz it's a chore doing it on a powerbook...

porque: the animation was done in after effects..since it's adobe, you can import layered illustrator files and have it all set up ready to be animated...it ties in so well with photoshop also...

...thanks warpigs...i've been trying to work on more of my 'computer art' skills...i'm more of a hands on person...i'm gonna have to look into that program cause there's an animation sequence i'm working on but right now i'm drawing everything frame by frame...

warpigs..

the problem is people do alot of the same revealing with masks thing.. and making shit blink..

i cant wait until people quit using cooper black, diagonal lines, bubbles,, concentric circles, drips and so forth..

the whole 2 and a half -d thing seemed promising but i havent seen anything too new done with it...

i dont know after effects.. and im always impressed by peoples techinical ability.. so dont quote me on hating.. just quote me on hating on people following the status quo.

blah late night blabber.

al..i know what you're saying...but that animation was also a quick excercise for me just to figure the shit out...do it once and move on...

that was my first time really messing with the 3d camera in after effects and i was just really trying to understand the 2 point camera system...i didn't spend much time on it at all, nor do i think the design is anything special...just threw the shit together using like 7 of my friend's t-shirt designs in a little graphic treatment "the drips, the i <3 nj, the bird..etc"

believe me i know some of the shit in there was just regurgitated design, but at the same time, some of those trends were also things i was doing 6 years ago when i was really into the whole "experimental" and "personal" design thing...

i ain't taking it as hate either...good feedback is cruicial to design..i appreciate it...

nice stuff. everyone here seems pretty savvy with illustartor so i am going to ask a question. i cant get illus. to do color seperations, the "seperations setup" command is greyed out and i cant seem to figure out what i need to do. do i need a plug in or a "virtual printer"? in mac os9 i had to get a vitual printer plug in that would fool the app into thinking i had a different printer. anyone have any suggestions?

Originally posted by DIBS@Oct 12 2004, 01:09 PM

nice stuff. everyone here seems pretty savvy with illustartor so i am going to ask a question. i cant get illus. to do color seperations, the "seperations setup" command is greyed out and i cant seem to figure out what i need to do. do i need a plug in or a "virtual printer"? in mac os9 i had to get a vitual printer plug in that would fool the app into thinking i had a different printer. anyone have any suggestions?

in the older days of illustrator 7 and before... there was an application called "adobe seperator" that would help do spot color seperations

they seemed to have peaced it out since version 8...

i guess you're trying do color seps for screen printing?

i've done it manually before..just by placing different colors on different layers and printing them as black on velum...i know it doesnt' help but i haven't really found a reliable automated way to do spot color seperations with newer versions of illustrator...

Originally posted by war pigs+Oct 12 2004, 06:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (war pigs - Oct 12 2004, 06:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DIBS@Oct 12 2004, 01:09 PM

in the older days of illustrator 7 and before... there was an application called "adobe seperator" that would help do spot color seperations

they seemed to have peaced it out since version 8...

i guess you're trying do color seps for screen printing?

i've done it manually before..just by placing different colors on different layers and printing them as black on velum...i know it doesnt' help but i haven't really found a reliable automated way to do spot color seperations with newer versions of illustrator...

[/b]

yeah i am doing the serartions for sceen printing. so far i have just been importing it into photo shop at a high res. and selecting the colors and pasting them on idividual layers and blacking them out. it works but its time consuming. i was hoping there would be an easier way. thanks for the tip though.

Originally posted by DIBS@Oct 12 2004, 01:54 PM

yeah i am doing the serartions for sceen printing. so far i have just been importing it into photo shop at a high res. and selecting the colors and pasting them on idividual layers and blacking them out. it works but its time consuming. i was hoping there would be an easier way. thanks for the tip though.

have you tried using select > same > fill color in illustrator?...

it's in the top menu bar...it's super helpful for doing manual seperations of a graphic, depending on how you build your graphics and how you trap your colors...

if you select one element that's say..blue

then go to select > same > fill color...it will select everything in the document that is the same color...

you can also select via fill and stroke color...opacity..and a number of other options...

that might save you some time in doing seperations, instead of importing into photoshop and using the "select similar" option...

war pigs above comment is right on point.. the [select] same fill color/stroke is a super good function to know.. also.. in the [layers palette] theres little circles on the right side of each layer.. this allows you to only select that layers objects and paths, it comes in super handy when you have a very complicated graphic/illustration......

...as for trapping.. i have no clue.. if anyone would like to enlighten us on that.. it would be great.

-al