"if you decide to quit smoking..."

trackstand

I just got another pack of smokes (Malboro Reds) and on the back of the box there is a pamphlet attatched that reads "if you decide to quit smoking...". When you open it up it reads "There is no one way that works for everyone. The more you know about how to quit, the better your chances for success."

I know damn well that by starting smoking I was a sucker, however, it is ridiculous for a cigarette company to offer you help in quitting. It also reads "According to the Cancer Institute of America, the use of medical products such as nicotine replacement products can double your chances of successfully quiting."

So now I am supposed to decide that I need to quit smoking, buy nicotine patches as well as my cigarettes and double the profits of Phillip Morris. It is not the fact that I started smoking that makes me so angry, because that was all my doing... It is the fact that they have the gall to put this pamphlet on the pack of my cigarettes and try to convince me to spend more money.

trackstand / human need over corporate greed.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeh in other countries other than the US they even show cancerous lungs on their cig packs.. so be happy it only says "If you decide to quit..."

Anyone here feel like smoking is your staple? As in, maybe youre the only one/one of the few of your friends who smokes, and everyone knows you do, etc., so it would be strange for you not to? I know it sounds completely irrational and irrelevent.. but... yeh... Im going back to bed.

:D

trackstand, did you know that Phillip Morris makes more money off non-ciggarette products than anything else? they own ALOT of company's, not only do they own Marlboro, but Virginia Slims, Benson & Hedges, Merit, Parliament, Alpine, Basic, Cambridge, Bristol, Bucks, Chesterfield, Collector's Choice, Commander, English Ovals, Lark, L&M, Players and Saratoga. not to mention having tons of other non-tobacco related companys and/or supporters. its almost scary how many things you can find the philips morris name on. i wish i remembered some of the examples tho, some of them were suprising.

didnt they just buy nabisco or something? i know one of the big tobacco companies bought up a food company so they could hide behind the more respected name.

smoking is the stupidest shit in the world. people that do it are stupid. i smoked for a long ass time...from 13-22. dumb, dumb, dumb.

ohh probably 5 years ago a huge class action lawsuit was brought against every cigarette manufacturer in the US.

"You're charged with marketing a harmful product to youths, responsible for the deaths of thousands blah blah blah"

So yeah, Phillip Morris alone was sued for like 6 billion dollars. They can't just pay that off. So instead they fund probably 90% of the anti smoking adds you see on television and in magazines and bus stops. Phillip Morris is behind the Truth Campaign. They are required by law.

All the other companies were sued and weren't given the option of paying for tv ads so they folded and phillip morris bought the name and was nice enough not to lay off thousands of people.

Although I do think Benson & Hedges are a seperately owned company(they make parliments so count them out of the marlboro group)

Archived