Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

If I tell you my first name, fucking call me by it

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by SilentBob, Nov 30, 2003.

1. SilentBob

SilentBob Member

Its weird how people address you like your something other than a person when it comes to graffiti. I'm not sure what that thing is but Its fucking trippy. Like everything they say to you has some political connetation. I must of been a spaz to buy into such a emotionally sterile sub-culture. and Im too tired to elaborate. So discuss.

edit: I know I'm in channel zero... and I know this is about graffiti. I figure here people will talk as people and not a writers though ... sooooooooooo on with the show

2. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

3. TuffKid

TuffKid Senior Member

4. ~KRYLON2~

~KRYLON2~ 12oz Loyalist

5. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i too, cant stand this. having people call me by my 'rap name' just feels weird. almost as weird as haviing people call me 'seeking', although for some reason, that doesnt bother me quite as much. i guess cause im just used to being adressed by it on here for 3+ years.
    f'real though, if when introduced, i offer my real name, please call me by it.

but then on the flip side, there are certain people i know, that their 'rap name' is just more befittiing of them than their real name, so calling them by their real name feels weird. dusty lipschitz, or friend and moderator, is one of these people. it feels far more normal to call him 'dusty' than by his real name. oh well.

seeks/over analying shit into diamonds

6. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

s: go eat yer butt
    d: THAT IS A HARD TASK
    s: use a spoon
    d: FIRL
    s: ?
    s: whooooops
    s: wrong im

7. slightly

slightly Member

what if you were under communist military control, chillin in prison, and speaking was illegal. then using rap names would be okay because what you are doing is illegal, and if they heard somebody say it, they wouldnt be able to track you down and you would be considered 'hard' and 'down'. then i would be able to let you in my crew, as long as you promise to speak 'all prison' though, because were kings of that shit. And then after that we would create new prison dialects based on age old latin words mixed with 60's los angeles street slang and a western canadian accent, call ourselves original, and diss other people for using words that sound like any other words that have been said before, because they are biting our style, hard.

slightly blessed with the gift of gab

8. 455

455 Guest

9. kemekill

kemekill Member

If talking is illegal how are you going to be able to make your so called prison talk? Furthermore, if you were to adress each other by your "rap" names you would still have to have a constant name and the guards are going to figure what your name is, whether it be real or "rap"?

I dislike your story.

10. gfreshsushi

gfreshsushi Senior Member

i just don't tell people what i write.

but it's fairly similar to having some guy older than you refer to you as 'sir' when you're in a store. that pisses me off. i mean, tattooed punk white kid that smells bad and looks dirty, you think he wants to be called 'sir'? it makes me wanna stinkpalm fools.

11. SilentBob

SilentBob Member

The name thing is a part of it. But it's more of a syntom of what I was failing to articulate. Basically when I meet someone who has no idea about graffiti, one way or another, its alot different then most of the times when I meet people in a graffiti context. Theres something really un-genuwine about this difference I feel. Something I don't like.
    I'de be lyeing if I didn't say that part of my interest in graffiti during my early years, didn't have something atleast subconciously, to do with wanting to fit in somewhere. Ofcourse, I learnt long ago if thats what I wanted, then I was wasting my time painting stuff. It still gives me the shits though ....

basically I'm just having a whinge ...

SilentBob, sookmaster extrodinaire

12. phism

phism Member

i'd rather women call me daddy, and men call me king

13. SilentBob

SilentBob Member

so your down with incest AND monarchies ? I guess the two go hand in hand .. but still..l thats one wack steez :crazy:

14. CRAMPS

CRAMPS Senior Member

i new this guy that called everyone "yo Kid" and did this wierd rap gangsta hand jesture that he tilted his intire torso while saying it......

that guy creeped me out...

im known as "that drummer kid" now because of a school thing i performed in.......so it kinda sucks/kinda not.

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/021004/144711__x_l.jpg'>
    YO KiiiiiiiD

15. SilentBob

SilentBob Member

like I said the whole name thing isn't really the main point I was trying to make.. But on a side note .. I wonder if dudes like "eatfuck" or "penis" or "pubes" get called by their graffiti names. That would be just super.