Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

"Ideology of Evil"

Discussion in 'News' started by Weapon X, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Clack-Clack

Pope Calls Gay Marriage Part of 'Ideology of Evil'

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:12 p.m. ET
    By Philip Pullella

ROME (Reuters) - Homosexual marriages are part of "a new ideology of evil" that is insidiously threatening society, Pope John Paul says in a new book published Tuesday.

In "Memory and Identity," the Pope also calls abortion a "legal extermination" comparable to attempts to wipe out Jews and other groups in the 20th century.

He also reveals that he is convinced the Turkish gunman who shot him in 1981 did not act alone and suggests that the former Communist Bloc may have been behind the plot to kill him.

The 84-year-old Pontiff's book, a highly philosophical and intricate work on the nature of good and evil, is based on conversations with philosopher friends in 1993 and later with some of his aides.

In one section about the role of lawmakers, the Pope takes another swipe at gay marriages when he refers to "pressures" on the European Parliament to allow them.

"It is legitimate and necessary to ask oneself if this is not perhaps part of a new ideology of evil, perhaps more insidious and hidden, which attempts to pit human rights against the family and against man," he writes.

The Pope's fifth book for mass circulation, issued by Italian publisher Rizzoli, sparked controversy in Germany and elsewhere after Jewish groups protested against leaked excerpts comparing the Holocaust to abortion.

In at least two sections of the book, the Pope talks about the Nazi attempt to exterminate Jews and the wholesale slaughter of political opponents by Communist regimes after World War II.

"LEGAL EXTERMINATION"

In following paragraphs he says that legally elected parliaments in formerly totalitarian countries were today allowing what he called new forms of evil and new exterminations.

"There is still, however a legal extermination of human beings who have been conceived but not yet born," he writes.

"And this time we are talking about an extermination which has been allowed by nothing less than democratically elected parliaments where one normally hears appeals for the civil progress of society and all humanity," he writes.

In Germany, a leader of the country's Central Council of Jews called the comparison unacceptable.

At a news conference presenting the book, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican's top doctrinal official, dismissed the Jewish charges.

Ratzinger said the Pope "was not trying to put the Holocaust and abortion on the same plane" but only warning that evil lurked everywhere, "even in liberal political systems."

In another section, the Pope describes at length the assassination attempt on May 13, 1981, when Turkish gunman Mehmet Ali Agca shot and nearly killed him in St Peter's Square.

Of Agca, the Pope writes the assassination attempt was "not his initiative, someone else masterminded it and someone else commissioned it."

Two trials in the early 1980s failed to prove prosecutors' suspicions that Bulgaria's secret services had masterminded a plot to kill the Pope on behalf of the Soviet Union.

At the time the Polish Pope was a strong supporter of the Solidarity trade union in his native Poland and the Soviet Union saw Solidarity as a threat to the stability of the communist bloc.

The Pope says the assassination attempt against him was perhaps "the last convulsion" of the ideologies of the 20th century -- a clear reference to the Communist bloc.

Copyright © 2005 Reuters Limited.

2. dojafx

dojafx Member

3. MIZZaBcfly

MIZZaBcfly Member

the pope is a snedger i hope he dies roaring

4. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

jeez, relax, Sinead. Are you Protestant or something?

5. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

people ask me why i dont believe in karma.

my response?

look how long the pope has lived.

this man has millions of people hanging onto his every word and this is how he chooses to use his influence? its mind boggling how someone at his level can be this fucking ignorant. think im being crass because we're talking about the pope? i dont. look at the time and place we live in and tell me with straight face that there is any room in our lives for shit like this.

whats even more amazing is the fact that i know many intelligent catholics who choose to associate themselves with this garbage.

6. POIESIS

POIESIS Member

uhh..doesn't johnny chill with known pedophiles?

7. vyper-

vyper- New Jack

yeah its all cool as long as you dont marry the pastor boy

8. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

seriously, what could be more evil than two people loving each other?

i find it disgusting
    :haha:

jp is prolly a little sweet himself and is upset he hasn't gotten a man yet.

9. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

I was expecting a whole lot of bad comments towards the Pope. You know, why is it such a bad thing that he speaks his mind? True, he has the world hanging on every word he says - so he has to think out his thoughts very carefully. He didn't create the religion, so why harbor all this hate towards him?

I know, a lot of people have problems with Catholicism, their riches, their forgiving nature, but the Pope is not much more than a figurehead, no? I don't know if I'd go so far as to call him a snedger.

I've never heard him say that gay people are evil. Just that they have a disorder, and should be helped, rather than shunned. I see nothing wrong him saying that. Ask the Ayatollah what he thinks, people.

The Pope is just doing his thing. I can't really comment on the Communist accusations, though. I'm gonna try and look stuff up about that.

10. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

ideology of evil?
    insidious?

that is disparaging enough for me.
    fuck the pope.
    presiding over all that money, with all that power.
    imagine the good he could do.
    instead, the church is just getting around to apologizing for some people they fucked up back in the 17th century. what the hell is that?
    he inivited fucking cardinals from goddamn boston to rome!
    what on earth?! he is rewarding that diocese after all those abused children they abandoned?
    the pope should be ashamed of himself.

eh whatever, i just think religion is evil.

11. bodice_ripper

bodice_ripper Elite Member

I may be part of an Ideology of Evil, but at least I can walk and breathe on my own.

Me:1 Pope:0

"You know, why is it such a bad thing that he speaks his mind? True, he has the world hanging on every word he says - so he has to think out his thoughts very carefully. "

I fancy the alzheimer's would be getting in the way of that... He is entitled to his opinion - I am entitled to laugh at him.

12. villain

villain Veteran Member

This just in! Pope and George Dubya form stategic alliance against homosexual, babykilling terrorists!
    First the axis of evil!
    Then outposts of evil!
    And now ideology of evil!

13. MIZZaBcfly

MIZZaBcfly Member

sake!

14. knuckle_game

knuckle_game New Jack

Isn't the catholic church supposed to be the largest private owner of land in the world?
    (all those churches add up)

15. InfiniteWisdomOfThePezDispenser

InfiniteWisdomOfThePezDispenser Junior Member

"The most dangerous madmen are those created by religion, and people whose aim is to disrupt society always know how to make good use of them on occasion."

Denis Diderot
    French Philosopher