identity theft, it could happen to you. or me.

rental

first off, let me admit it, yes, im dumb. i knew better, yet i didnt do anything about it.

i work at a gym. friday, my shift ended, and i go to work out. as always, i put my shit in a locker, and close the door. no lock. i know most of the people i see, i know their fucking kids, im too cheap to get another lock, blah blah blah. i come back..."hmm. somethings missing. my purse is missing. thats weird. fuck. this sucks. shit"

so, here's a complete list of what was in my purse:

.house keys

.car keys

.drivers license

.health insurance card

.atm card

.medication

.pay stubs w/ my social security number

.gift cards

.pens

.chapstick

.school library card

.bank statements

.doctors appointment cards

.cell phone

.$20-30

.my boyfriends new out of state address

here's what i get to do/have done:

.file a police report

.pay $20 and wait at the dmv for a new license

.cancel my atm card

.cancel my cell phone for $175 dollars unless i magically find the cell phone that was in my purse

.wait for a new atm card in the mail so i can withdraw cash

.borrow gas money

.change my locks

."get a credit report every 3 months for the two years at least" i heard lots of credit reports fuck up your credit?

.take care of all phone calls at home

.wait a month to get medication my insurance covers

.get two periods within a week

i think thats all. the lady i gave my report to was freaking me out with stories about her in-laws dealing with identity theft 15 years after they got their shit stolen, and telling me how my identity will be used for illegal aliens and terrorists. sigh, and it was my favorite purse.

advice? horror stories? happy stories? *personal insults? id rather have happy stories. ones that involve cell phones with a good sense of direction that found their way home.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

sorry rental. thats pretty shitty.

i worry about this stuff at work.. even though our lockers are in the employee bathroom, i never put a lock on my locker, just throw my purse in there..and as of lately ive just been hanging my purse on the coat rack in there, cuz it's easier to go in and out of if i need to make a phonecall or get something out real quick..

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle+Feb 15 2005, 11:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr. Dazzle - Feb 15 2005, 11:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mackfatsoe@Feb 15 2005, 11:59 PM

rental's a girl?

Just a very feminine man-boy....

[/b]

so does that mean you can show me how to dock later when youre hitting on me again?

yeah, sugar, thats basically the train im on. i mean, i know i would do the same shit you are.

there was a time when i didn't carry a bag; i just stuffed everything in my pockets.

but as you get older, you got more stuff so you had to switch over to a bag.

luckily, this hasn't happened to me yet. what a nightmare. i think the most annoying part

is having to call places to replace/cancel the important stuff like ID and ATM cards...sorry rental...

Originally posted by »§ÜGÅR«@Feb 15 2005, 11:14 PM

maybe put up fliers asking for someone to come forward with your shit, and promise a reward of some sort?

that's the only thing i can think of.. people these days will do anything for money. :(

thats a good idea. i think someone did that at the gym before. i dont think they ever got it back though cause the signs stayed up for a long time. i dont think the person who stole my stuff was a regular member though. i think they were a hotel guest.

slave. it mostly sucks that i have to pay $20 for another id and if i ever need to get something from the library that too. and of course hoping that they just wanted my small amount of cash and not all my personal info to sell.

Originally posted by rental@Feb 16 2005, 01:40 AM

.wait a month to get medication my insurance covers

not that it helps, but you can get over ride supplies that the insurance covers, just for situatins like this. Get a new perscription for your doctor or if you have refills, go into the pharmacy and tell them about what happened, they will call your insurance company and get it over ridden, not that that was the biggest of your concerns, but hey, i figured i would try and help

good luck with the rest.

Originally posted by rental@Feb 16 2005, 01:40 AM

."get a credit report every 3 months for the two years at least" i heard lots of credit reports fuck up your credit?

don''t worry about that. you get about 7 or 8 ''free'' credit pulls per year before it starts to affect your score. and it''ll only reduce it by a point or two each time thereafter.

good luck with the rest of the stuff.

As for your cell phone, you don''t need to pay shit in order to cancel it. You inform your carrier that your phone was stolen and they will disconnect the phone, not the contract. Of course, unless you got handset insurance, chances are you will have to purchase another cell phone and sim card. But you''ll keep the same number! weeee

I hate to say it...but if you're lucky...it'll just be a common purse theft.

if the thief uses or sells your personal info then this is just the beginning of your problems. One of my exes was a victim of identity theft. She still has the occasional problem and its been like three or four years.

does your phone have the gps tracking on it?

I think the best thing to hope for is that the idiot who stole your shit tries to get the cell phone number changed. If you report the cellphone stolen, and they try to get the number changed when they do so wherever they go the place will just call the cops. my mom used to work at a cell phone place, and she said that when people would try to change the number, they would punch in a serial number in the back room, and if it was reported stolen they would just tell the person to wait while it went throuh, but really they were just waiting for the cops to show up.

i just got frauded for over $2000 in the dominican republic... you wont be held accountable for shit... just stay on top of your credit report... they also got this credit watch thing thru the credit bureaus where they notify you if theres suspicious activity....

the credit bureaus and ph#s....

equifax 800-525-6285

transunion 800-680-7289

experien 888-397-3742

or just hope they flushed your purse down the toilet and took your money and cell.

I would have gone to every garbage can in and around the gym to find the purse. Do you have any clue at all as to who might have done it? Give everyone who works out there a big stare down - maybe someone will have a tell?

Man, I'm crazy about my shit getting stolen. Even if I leave my house for just a minute, I'll lock the door. If I don't have the key, I'll pretend to lock the door, even if it's 4am and no one is watching.

It sucks to lose things like that and it's really stressful thinking about all your personal items being in another persons possesion. This happened to me a few years back, but I lost my wallet besides money and pictures (thank god I took my social security card out earlier that day) was my liscense. I never reported it stolen because it was before I was 18 and figured they couldn't really do anything with it....was that a mistake? should I bother to report it now? :rolleyes: