Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

id number placement?

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by jack handy, Apr 8, 2004.

1. horse cock

horse cock Elite Member

why arent the id numbers placed on the upper part of the car? it seems they would avoid a lot of grief?

2. Cory Feldman

Cory Feldman Senior Member

newer BCOL's and AOK's have been putting the numbers up high as of late, im sure some other companys have been doing it, but im not sure who.

3. afterten

afterten Member

4. fr8otech

fr8otech Senior Member

You have to consider a few points:

Firstly, when the limits were initally being placed on cars, graffiti covering them wasn't an issue. You're average box car was built between 70's - 90's. It wasn't until the 90's that boxes started getting smashed on. So logically, why would they place them higher up until now?

reading the lmt.'s between lines in the dark would be a much harder task if all limits were higher up, which is a concern for the workers and breakmen.

But now, with buffing cost and the fact that most fleets are heading for fresh paints, the rail companies are starting to do them sselves a favour and cut the cost by repositioning the lmt's

5. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel Veteran Member

i have been seeing numbers higher up on some cars.Only a few but i am sure slowly but surely this will become a regular thing

6. FR8HOUND

FR8HOUND Dirty Dozen Crew

VERY WELL STATED FR8OTECH....

7. porque

porque Senior Member

...they're placed at eye level...because people that don't paint trains actually use them...

8. krowteN

krowteN Member

cn, and most of its affiliates have placed reporting marks high for years before the graffiti trend. i think fr8otech said it best. of late new blts have been placing marks high up, probably in an effort to avoid graffiti coverage. fresh paints still have them at eye length...its like the transit authority painting all those trains white back in the day. what the hell were they thinkin?
    on a side note, ive seen some companies, (cp, qgry) place marks and limits on the right side of the car...whats up with that. i know icc requires reporting marks be exposed on all 4 sides of the car but until i saw numbers on right side i thought the left side was standard practice.

9. nelACKson

nelACKson Elite Member

numbers on the right mean theyre girl cars. dont paint em unless youre a queer.

10. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

When the Solid Colds began turning into ARMNs I was hoping they'd learn, and put the numbers up high, but they didn't learn. Now they're filling up fast. I painted one that was so new you could see the chalk lines they used to lay out the numbers.

11. Kirby p

Kirby p Senior Member

they're like ear rings

12. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

kind of related, i've seen a few new reefer (i think) cars in metal heads with only one ladder, on the right side. what is the reason for this ? also, is it indicative of things to come, i mean are they going to do just one ladder on all new cars ?

13. Southern kid

Southern kid Elite Member

Seems like placing them on the door or around the front of the car would be an ideal solution as well. How often can you read the information from bewteen the lines without being right on it? Fr8otech made a good point on the timeline/logistics of it all. Floating the numbers and all over information would make me somewhat happy though. But I paint too big to avoid them all completely anyway. One of the reasons I began painting so large was to make going over stuff easier. I kinda like going around stuff too, but apparently not everyone does. ;)

14. IRON HEAD

IRON HEAD Senior Member

i agree with fr8otech... but i also think like southernkid thinks and think that they should place them on the front of the box's... where the ridges are and the cars connect to each other... just like there are the markings and #'s up there too...

15. 1HalfOfMe

1HalfOfMe Member

i havnt seen that at all. but ill be on the look out.
    and about the ladder placement, it seems easier to have two ladders on both sides, more convienent for the brakeman but i dont know. i guess maybe its to save money but seems like a lame reason..i dont knwo