I just wanted to be toned....

bodice_ripper

Just a little question for those who are into this sort of thing

basically college just ended, and I started going to the gym - 3 days on, 1 day off, 3 days on etc......

doing about 45 minuted on a cross trainer and then weights.

After a few days of this, i've been getting pretty severe pains in my legs, esp my knees, at night. I can't sleep. Yes i do stretches before and after I go to the gym. I'm concerned that perhaps I am to short (five foot one) for on of the leg extension machines...but I'm not sure

What would be the best way to stop/ lessen this pain (without stopping going to the gym...:p )?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest uncle-boy

a heating pad??

or maybe a sensual nude massage performed by your saucy girlfriend, dressed in a naughty school girl outfit.

I don't really know much about cross trainers...or the inside of a gym for that matter.

I'd probably take your cross trainer time down to 30 minutes. Increase it say 5 minutes every week or two until your up to the 45. Icy hot or a heat pad for the pain. If you think its inflamed...take 4 advil every 8 hours. I'm assuming there is no swelling and that the pain is more of an ache than cramping.

On your days off, go for a light walk or something for about 30 minutes. An easy workout will help your legs recover faster. Diet wise...I would say...eat more meat. Protein will help your recovery.

then go with uncles second option.

if you belong to a ghetto gym, then i would ask someone who you feel is a regular, and used the machine to help you set the weights....

if you belong to a nicer gym, just ask some of the trainers, they are more then willing to help you out...

also, i wouldnt run on the same day you do legs....

i havent been to the gym in like 4 months.....good grief

alternate your work outs, dont do this 3 days 1 day thing.

One day legs let them rest one day upper.

or One day major musle groups, one day lower.

Your muscles need a day to repair themselves.

and about the leg and knee pain, try running on an eliptical trainer its zero impact.

"and about the leg and knee pain, try running on an eliptical trainer its zero impact."

dood those things are so bad ass....but im still somewhat hesistant about em....i mean i run for like 45 min, burn like 500 something calories, and sweat, but i associate the pain of running with its effectiveness....does that make sense?? like i was brought up with pain equals a good work out....

probably wouldnt hurt if i just quit smoking either.....

talk to someone who knows and make sure you arent damaging something

i work out, off and on, and i never get pains like that

some workouts and stretches can fuck you up

get one session with a trainer

Originally posted by miles apart

alternate your work outs, dont do this 3 days 1 day thing.

One day legs let them rest one day upper.

or One day major musle groups, one day lower.

Your muscles need a day to repair themselves.

and about the leg and knee pain, try running on an eliptical trainer its zero impact.

Take it from him, he's ripped.

This is what I do.

M/W/F Cardio plus abs and arms

T/TH/Sat Cardio plus legs

All the cardio instructors emphasize that you should try avoiding strain on the knees by slightly bending them while working out.

Like while on the stair master for example, I don't stand so that my knees are completely straight. I leave room for them to be kept a tiny bit bent at all times. Does that make sense?

Originally posted by SukiSukiNow

All the cardio instructors emphasize that you should try avoiding strain on the knees by slightly bending them while working out.

Like while on the stair master for example, I don't stand so that my knees are completely straight. I leave room for them to be kept a tiny bit bent at all times. Does that make sense?

this just needed to be repeated. typically (at least on a bike) if your knees hurt in the front...your not getting enough extension. if it hurts in the back of your knees....your extending them too far and need to prevent the full extension of your knees. You need to keep a slight bend in them.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

this just needed to be repeated. typically (at least on a bike) if your knees hurt in the front...your not getting enough extension. if it hurts in the back of your knees....your extending them too far and need to prevent the full extension of your knees. You need to keep a slight bend in them.

Why you gotta always copy me?

make sure to do arm stuff...i remember awhile back you posted pics of your tattoo and your upper arms were flabby as hell.

it sounds to me like youre doing too much too soon, even thought you probably dont want to hear that.

also it sounds like you have stress fractures. when i was in basic training we had alot of people get those, due to the immense running, etc on a body that wasnt used to it.

see a doctor.

this sounds too time consuming. you should buy some really expensive doodad off of an infomercial that gives you a work out when you do nothing. it probably doesnt work...but it would be cool to tell all of your friends you have this high tech rocket ship workout machine.

Originally posted by bodice_ripper

ah yes. I remember you too. "I'm black. No really I'm white! Wasn't that amusing....?"

the white thing was a joke. i said i was a white kid in my 'last post on 12oz' just because I thought itd be ironic if after all this time on here discussing race, etc I was actually white. I knew people wouldnt take it seriously, but apparently you did. Well to set the record straight, I am indeed black. Now go work on those arms.

Originally posted by ctrl+alt+del

if im not sore after a workout, i dont really feel like i accomplished anything.

hmm..you should stop getting soreness in your muscles after awhile.

if you reach complete muscle failure you will kinda feel like the muscle isnt there, and mobility with it will be tough, but soreness shouldnt really happen.

for a leg extension machine, do not lock your knees when you extend them. stop just before.

dont use a weight that you will have to force up and not be able to control.

for the pain, smoke a bowl before bed or pop some advil.

you will ALWAYS be sore if you have never worked out or haven't in a while, sweat it out.

to get ripped, high reps low weight

to bulk low reps, heavy weight

just in general reply to various posts...

I am doing cardiovascular work

I am doing free weights

I am using an eliptical trainer

The pain in my legs has calmed down, but the muscles right above my knee are tender when touched (no, not like that...:P )

Basically i'm trying to find the most effective way to do this. I really don't care how hard the work is. I want to be able to climb things, run fast and beat the fuck out of people. And have a nice body to frame my tattoos......................:cool:

Archived