*!i!i* GUITAR *!i!i*

styxx119

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i play. i got a 'xplorer (epiphone, i couldn't afford a gibson) a nice yamaha bass (El segundo, i got it real cheap b/c of a mistake in the shipping, its like $300 but i got it around $100) and a few classical guitars lying around, one of em yamaha, the other is spanish made.

My first electric was a heap'o'crap Samick strat copy. It did the job. Now I currently play a heap'o'crap Ibanez GAX70. It's a nasty piece of work but at the time I bought it, it was perfect for the kind of thrashing that I was into (damn, what a 'tard I was!). I think it's important to start on a shit guitar so that you can appreciate what a good one is and find out what fits you best, however, I cannot emphasize enough the need to upgrade your gear as you progress with your playing. Not upgrading can seriously hold you back.

I went to the local music shop just before Christmas and was looking at the Gibson Les Paul Standards. The guy there was nice enough to let me try one through a Marshall amp and it was seriously the most amazing shit. I stood there like a complete fucking poser with the LP hanging low and ripped into a Mr. Brownstone -> Sweet Child O Mine -> Paradise City combo. I was Slash for like 20 minutes and it was great.

I'm in my 7th year of playing now and have finally mastered the technique of soloing while holding the guitar over the back of my head, between my legs or basically any position. For some reason playing guitar removes every ounce of "giving a fuck" in my body momentarily.

So so dope.

Guest mikro137

a few of mine

http://mikro137.wilkerstaff.com/guitars1.jpg'>

http://mikro137.wilkerstaff.com/rockout.jpg'>

epiphone sg

charvell

ibanez

(i forget the model #s for these)

a frankenstein strat

also are my 15 inch cab and my crate , i also have a marshall super lead and a small fender champion110 as well as my homies silvertone tube amp (awesome) and his yamaha bg200

it was $1300 but I swapped a Charvel Model 5 for it so it was around $700... came stock with EMG's... I like it :)

the nicest is the acoustic up top, a boutiique brand but it was made by a 20year Martin luthier, basically a D-28... or maybe the Gibson acoustic, it's a '69 J-45...

Guest mikro137
Originally posted by Smart

it was $1300 but I swapped a Charvel Model 5 for it so it was around $700... came stock with EMG's... I like it :)

the nicest is the acoustic up top, a boutiique brand but it was made by a 20year Martin luthier, basically a D-28... or maybe the Gibson acoustic, it's a '69 J-45...

damn dude that is the shit. my sg was around 200 , i got it for like 150 due to my homie working at the store , and the fact that i was a loyal ass customer.

my ibanez has emg actives in it. that thing is sooo ill. killer tones for everything from blues to metal. it was previously owned by the former guitarist for aus rotten. it however needs to have the bridge filed , because i keep breaking the low e and the a when i play shows with it (new strings and all...) its becomming a pain in my ass.

what kind of amps are you using?

I got a couple little Crates, not really happy with them but they work... I've been shopping but I think I'm just gonna pick up this thing called an Art MP V3 or something, it's a mic preamp but it's hot... also I been looking at a couple fancy direct boxes... I haven't gigged in years but when I was active I liked to run direct... all that gear is dead or sold now though, hahaha...

Where are the strings breaking? I mean physically, like busting out of the ball end or snapping where the windings end or? You can reinforce that with solder if you have to but it's tedious to do for a bunch of strings... of course you only reinforce the ones you break...

Are you sure you need to file it? I mean, is there a definate burr on the saddle? it might be more about the string angle, that often seems to contribute, try 'coloring' on the bridge saddle with a #2 pencil, that will reduce friction a little and should help some... also you might try heavier strings... AND you could also upgrade your saddle pieces to brass roller saddles for around $30 - 50...

Guest mikro137

the coloring didnt work that well. thats why im concidering filing. i am as good as totally broke these days , or id probally upgrade to the roller saddles.

crates are ok for power , my 2x12 is 120 watts of insanity , especially when i have it hooked up to my marshall for a preamp and my 15. the actual amp sounds like shit. ive been fucking around with a boss multi effects and various distortion pedals over the years as well. i want a mesa v twin really bad , but im so broke i cant even buy strings right now. if you are looking into amps/direct boxes etc etc look into a v twin.

http://www.geocities.com/spike1602/

This is what's being custom built for me in a sekrit location in Russia. No really. It's a replica of a 1979 Gibson Custom Silverburst LP, and when it's done will probably look, play and sound better than an original. God bless the crazy Russian guitarsmiths.

(Yes, I made the word guitarsmith up. But it sounds cool doesn't it?)

Unfortunately a big metal tank fell off a wall and crushed the neck... luckily it wasn't attached to the body yet, so they're just building a new one, meaning that my guitar should be finished mid-March.

At the moment I'm playing an Ibanez RG-470 into a Pod Pro... thru a Rage 158, since I sold my old combo to fund the new guitar. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a MesaBoogie 20:20 and 4x12 cab within the next 9 months, if everything works out... at which point I'd kick your asses. I really want a Diezel VH4 or Herbert, or a Dual Rectifier (or a 12 space rack system involving all sorts of great gear), but I'm broke enough as it is. This new guitar is meaning that I have no life savings any more... oh well.

Archived