!i!i!Grave Diggaz!i!i!

Guest RaiD

Guest RaiD

Does anyone really like these cats. ive read through all these hip hop threads and i never heard them mentioned. i usually like punk rock but every once in a while there will be a hip hop group like grave diggaz to completely change my out look. who would have thought... gothic hip hop, i just got they're new cd and thats the bomb shit. anyone else heard it yet?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i haven't heard their new record yet, but their self-titled is the shit. it's old as hell, i remember listening to it when i was a freshman in high school, eight years ago and shit. 1-800-SUICIDE is fucking money.

Guest RaiD

6 feet deep to this day is the best hip hop album i own... did you know that grym reaper died? check it out...

The page

or if your too lazy to click...

Guess Who's Back From The Grave? (Diggaz That Is!)

added 15.07.01 words Riz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with great sadness that I tell you this, I was informed via New York that rapper Poetic from the Gravediggaz passed away on July 15th, 2001 at 1:45pm EST at Cedar Sinai Hospital in California, due to colon cancer. His hospital bills got so severe in the last few months that he was getting donations from heads out there to try to help pay for his medical bills. He fought cancer for 2 years and 3 months this was after he was diagnosed last year to live for only 3 months after the diagnosis. A fighter in life he will go on and be remembered by all. My respects and UKHH.com staff goes out to his family. May he rest in peace in a better place than this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"One might say that the true subject of the horror genre is the struggle for recognition of all that our civilization represses and oppresses" Robin Wood, American Nightmare

Branded with the tag "horror core" in 1995 after dropping their album 6 Feet Deep (Niggamortis), Gravediggaz turned the industry on its collective heads in 1997 with the release of The Pick, The Sickle and the Shovel (Gee Street) which showcased the "horror" of oppression and the hard "core" realities of life. Now their eagerly anticipated third album Nightmare in A-Minor is slated for release on Titanium/Sunstar Records and distributed by Echo/Koch International. Showcasing original members Fruikwan (The Gatekeeper) and Poetic (The Grym Reaper) writing and performing most of the material on this collective of eerie, spine-crawling tracks and morbidly delicious rhymes, we are given a true taste of their horrific capabilities.

"The Gravediggaz struggle for recognition of the everyday horror of life, of the black plight in America and worldwide." Andrew Emery, Hip Hop Connection

Due to other obligations, RZA was unable to embark on this current journey, but that obviously has no effect on the versatility that shines through on the singles Rest in Da East b/w Nightmare in A-Minor. Gravediggaz show an acute awareness of what is going on in the world at large as well as their own worlds, and art imitates deadly reality as Poetic raps on Burn Baby Burn about his dealings with the cancer that has taken over his life but not his mind.

Poetic lyrics stream forth from a mind faced with terrible realities. In April 1999 he was diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer and was given 4 months to live. His anger, rage and determination clearly shows, that he has no problems rhyming about his disease, it's effects, or anything else that pisses him off.

Fruikwan shows no mercy as he spits lyrics as hard as a Bruce Lee roundhouse. His well-earned reputation as "Adam on the eve of destruction" began in 1989 as one of the original members of Stetsasonic, and through his years with Gravediggaz, a combination that brings the best out of his production and wordplay.

"Unlike the sloppy copies, the Gravediggaz was never about F*ckin gimmicks" J-Tai, Urb Magazine

Nightmare in A-Minor showcases an eclectic mixture of rhymesayers and producers, bringing on the talents of Prince Paul, Prodigal Sunn of Sunz of Man, True Master, L.G., Shogun , 4th Disciple and Beretta 9. "We deal with digging in the mental thoughts" says Fruikwan, "we dig for knowledge." With a seriousness of thought Poetic agrees, "With our music, we dig and uncover certain things that may not always be pleasant, but we don't stop and wonder if our music will be accepted or rejected. It's what we want to leave behind. It's our contribution." Like song 18 on the album says ya "Better Wake Up", Gravediggaz is here and you might just get buried alive!

- Riz

Archived