...i gotta get out of here..

porque

...i'm not one to normally do this, but i'm turning to 12oz for advice and help...i need a new place to live...

...bit of a background...after finishing college i moved halfway across the US with some friends of mine for a reason that never really manifested itself...so my lease is up in a couple of months, and i have no intention of staying here any longer...and the last thing i want to do is move back...i have no obligations to anything, and am willing to go just about anywhere...so give me some feedback on good places to live for a year or so...my criteria is pretty simple:

...1) hot girls (...is this completely shallow of me to put at the top of the list?...)

...2) affordable...

...3) good people...

...4) a good art scene (...i exhibit regularly as an artist and also write about art...)

...5) being able to get around by bike (...i hate cars...)

...6) i like painting trains...

...that's about it...if anyone has any advice for places to live, or places not too, please let me know...also...this is a mult-national plea, i can pack everything i own of value in a couple of suitcases...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Mr. ABC@May 2 2005, 11:49 PM

either move to europe or australia. if you're a college graduate (with a useful degree, not some bullshit art degree) then getting a visa and a job will be a non issue

...i do have a bullshit art degree...but i've also held down a real job for the past 8 years thta's completey unrelated...

what type of job? the reason i ask is getting a working holiday visa here is fine without "real" qualifications, but if you're looking for something more permanent it'll be very hard.

europe is a little different (depending on where you go), but if it's a permanent move you're looking at you'll want to start doing some real research asap cos it takes a lonnnggggg time dealing with immigration no matter where you go.

Originally posted by The Leader@May 3 2005, 02:02 PM

canada, europe, australia (but if you move to australia your opinion no longer matters to anyone, ask abc)

BANNED

Originally posted by fermentor666@May 3 2005, 06:26 AM

I believe the place you are looking to move to is called Utopia, and no, it doesn't exist. Sorry.

hahaha. that was pretty amusing. i need to move myself but cant make up my mind as to where i'd want to go either. im to picky and i got a lot of shit. i need to sell my life on ebay.

Originally posted by porque@May 2 2005, 10:31 PM

...i'm not one to normally do this, but i'm turning to 12oz for advice and help...i need a new place to live...

...bit of a background...after finishing college i moved halfway across the US with some friends of mine for a reason that never really manifested itself...so my lease is up in a couple of months, and i have no intention of staying here any longer...and the last thing i want to do is move back...i have no obligations to anything, and am willing to go just about anywhere...so give me some feedback on good places to live for a year or so...my criteria is pretty simple:

...1) hot girls (...is this completely shallow of me to put at the top of the list?...)

...2) affordable...

...3) good people...

...4) a good art scene (...i exhibit regularly as an artist and also write about art...)

...5) being able to get around by bike (...i hate cars...)

...6) i like painting trains...

...that's about it...if anyone has any advice for places to live, or places not too, please let me know...also...this is a mult-national plea, i can pack everything i own of value in a couple of suitcases...

there are a ton of places you can go, but not all of them have everything you want. i'm mainly familiar with cities on the east coast.

philly: somewhat affordable. fun people. lots of diversity as far as art. plenty of trains. i'm not sure about getting around on a bike, with public transportation, it's definitely do-able. alcohol is only sold at bars and liquor stores, until 2 am.

pittsburgh: affordable. good people. good art scene. able to get around by bike. and plenty of trains... absolutely no girls. it actually has a reputation for having the smallest percentage of 18-24 year-old females in the country. on a good note, you'll be able to focus on being productive. major drinking city, but like philly, alcohol is only sold at bars & liquor stores, until 2 am.

atlanta: affordable. nice, southern people. good art scene. a bike could cut it, i'm not familiar with the public transportation out there. lots of hot girls. lots of trains. i'm not familiar with their liquor laws.

new orleans: affordable. tons of fun, wild people. very diverse, multi-cultural art scene. a bike would work just like anywhere else.. lots of girls taking off their shirts (mardi gras). lots of trains. they serve alcohol 24/7, and you can drink in public.

miami: tons of hot girls. somewhat affordable. fun people. popping art scene. you can get around by bike depending on where you live and how far you intend to go (that goes with anywhere you move), there's also decent public transportation. trains are really heated down there, but still doable. great weather. alcohol sold in gas stations, bars, clubs, grocery stores, till 4 am some places, but usually till 2am. 40's are illegal, 32 oz is the largest beer.

orlando/gainesville: lots of hot college girls. pretty affordable. good people can be found. the art scene lacks substantial quality and diversity, but you could capitalize on that. you can get around by bike, but most things are spread out. plenty of trains, but a strong city buff. great weather. alcohol sold in gas stations, bars, clubs, grocery stores etc, till 2 am. 40's are illegal, 32 oz is the largest beer.

baltimore: affordable, depending on the area. people are kinda shady, but there are good ones in the mix. some hot girls. i don't know much about any art scene out there, i'm sure there is one. lots of trains, but a strong city buff. you could pull off having a bike, but a lot of things are spread out there, depending on where you live. alcohol sold only in bars and liquor stores, until 2 am.

richmond: affordable. didn't see many hot girls, but i'm sure they exist. good, down-to-earth people. the art scene is good, with lots of room for expansion. you could get around on a bike, once again, depending on what area you live. lots of trains. alcohol sold in gas stations, bars, liquor stores & grocery stores i'm sure, until 2 am.

cincinnatti: if you're into white girls, its good. affordable. nice people. i dont know about an art scene. a bike would work, but not as convenient. lots of trains. alcohol sold in gas stations, bars, liquor stores & grocery stores i'm sure; i don't know until what time, but i'm guessing 2 am.

new york: expensive cost of living. plenty of exotic girls from all over. huge art scene. a bike would be ideal. good people can be found. trains are do-able, but good spots are few and far between. you'll get much more interested in the streets. alcohol sold at bodegas, deli's, bars, liquor stores, etc; all hours except 3am-8am on sunday (but you can find spots that will still sell you a 40)

boston: high cost of living, depending on the area (just like anywhere else). not too many hot girls, but it's not totally dry. popping art scene. a bike is do-able, there is a good public transit system. lots of trains. i actually don't know about their alcohol policies, cuz i didn't drink when i was there.

las vegas. the most jobs in the damn world, whores all around, freights, first fridays, and the people are ok if you're into that kinda thing. the homie from here moved to vegas for a bit and last i recall he was making bling as a waiter at some fancy smancy resturante' with mad tips.

also, hawaii. minus the frieghts. it could get expensive, but you could get a nice job out there to get by, take up surfing and sun bathing, the beach is free. the girls are some of the hottest in the world, people are cool, and theres art.

:)

Providence,Rhode Island- Girls, tons of hot,rich white girls. Basically bone em and go for a ride in their lexus. ages 18-25.

Afforable,1br apartments depending on where you live. $575-775

2 beds, 800-1000 really good neighborhood.\

People,The people are good.tons of college heads.

Art Scene, Good art scene,home of RISD art school.

bike, no problem!

trains, you would have to travel a bit.

if you like drinking, there's tons of keg party's on the weekends,lots of bars,clubs.graffiti scence is also ok.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC@May 3 2005, 12:27 AM

what type of job? the reason i ask is getting a working holiday visa here is fine without "real" qualifications, but if you're looking for something more permanent it'll be very hard.

europe is a little different (depending on where you go), but if it's a permanent move you're looking at you'll want to start doing some real research asap cos it takes a lonnnggggg time dealing with immigration no matter where you go.

...i'm pretty sure with my work experience i could qualify for a real visa...but any kind of move is most likely not going to be permanant anyway...all the beurocratic BS of getting a visa does discourage me from just jumping across an ocean or two...i've been looking into artist residencies in other countries though...most are only for a few months, and the good ones give you a place to live and work...but you have to apply about a year or so in advance...

...london is looking really good to me...the art scene seems to be flourishing there and most of the stuff coming out i'm really into...i've also thought about vancouver, or somewhere else in canada, just to get away from the US...other places like pittsburg, baltimore and philly have been on the short list for a while...i thought a good bit about newyork...i know a lot of people that are there, and dispite the cost of living are doing pretty well...i have an artshow in atlanta in a couple months, so i'll be checking that out when i'm down there...

i think az is nice if you can stand the heat...not to expensive either...but if i move any where else it's back to new orleans i don't think i have ever had so much fun fucking shit up anywhere else...cheap to live there cheap to eat there cheap to get wasted plenty of culture and hot chicks down for what ever..fun times in the south...