i fucking hate web design

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

oh yeah, my point is, im trying to make a page thats split up into frames. one top, one middle, then one bottom, but the bottom is also split into two columns. it should be easy, but nope. dreamweaver is fucking sucking. the bottom two, the and middle need to stay aligned, but since they're in different frames, it wont keep them ligned up... any ideas?

i doubt you will like my idea, but i say get rid of dream weaver for a minute, and do the frame coding in notepad, then go back to dreamweaver for the rest after that. then again, i really dont know shit about webdesign, i just screw around with photoshop and quark

i guess, in brief, what you would do is, use your standard <frameset> tag to define the three frames, and in the bottom html source, define the two columns using the <col> tag. i dont know how familar you are with straight html, but i can go into more detail if you want, i have no idea how to do this with dreamweaver, because iv only used it once or twice.

it wouldnt be if i knew the fucking first thing about writing code. but since thats not the case, its trial and error.

its ok, ive figured it out. now i just need to decide what size window i want it to pop up in. or if i want to keep it in the parent window... i dont care for pop ups normaly, even on cool sites... but i think this might be substantial enough to warrant a seperate free floating platform on which to stand...

id use tables...but thats just me....tables load faster anyhow....dreamweaver should be able to do that shit for you...i code by hand though...so i wouldnt know the capabilities of dreamweaver...ive heard its a good compiler/builder though....good luck...if youre interested in typing HTML out check out webmonkey.com i learned all my shit there....

okay...disregard...i was a lazy bastard and didnt read the rest of the thread...id go for tables still though....

i do use tables, but the problem is, i need to be able to have basicaly, three different interchangable windows going in one browser. one main one, then two smaller ones below it that change depending on where you click in the main. make sense? i cant do that with tables. and i cant make it a roll over cause im not trying to have that many images (the bottom windows are just text)...

i normaly cant stand pop ups either, but what it is... its gonna be like a seperate little site... it wont just be one window that you read then close, it'll have a bunch of different pics to click through, read, etc. because of that, i think its perhaps aceptible... who knows though, i'll prolly end up changing it several times over...

Originally posted by seeking innocence

i normaly cant stand pop ups either, but what it is... its gonna be like a seperate little site... it wont just be one window that you read then close, it'll have a bunch of different pics to click through, read, etc. because of that, i think its perhaps aceptible... who knows though, i'll prolly end up changing it several times over...

sounds good to me, i enjoy your site alot as it is, as do some people i showed it to, you influenced someone veryclosed tome

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9
Originally posted by -Rage-

Dreamweaver is for pussies. Real men know how to use code AND fast!

really? i wasn't aware of that. i'm sure all the other "professional" programmers that use it weren't aware of that either. interesting.

i suppose i could learn to write code and then spend twice as long making my site.... i could also go dig up a rock, smash it into a circle with another rock, then use it to fix my flat tire, but what the fuck is the sense in that?

it may be for pussies, but making things harder on yourself cause you think it makes you cool is for morons... what, you think writing code is gonna get you some ass or something? yeah, girls love nerds....

it may be for pussies, but making things harder on yourself cause you think it makes you cool is for morons... what, you think writing code is gonna get you some ass or something? yeah, girls love nerds....

Nerd girls do!

in defense for me writing code...its more of a hobby for me...i enjoy typing HTML out...that stuff is fun to me...call me weird...ive been interested in computers and the like since i was a youngin....yes it is alot harder...but i like the challenge...and i definately dont think it makes me cool....i dont know anyone, so who am i going to flaunt my "cool" HTML skills to (other than the dorks on 12oz, but im not really flaunting the shit anyhow...)?? go with dreamweaver, i could care less...do i think it makes you less skilled? no, i dont....do i think its practical? yes, i do....but i prefer to code by hand and learning the hard way....call me an idiot....

i suppose i could learn to write code and then spend twice as long making my site....

the thing is, if you learn to code properly by hand, using programs like dreamweaver speeds things up drastically.

the visual aid of setting your site up with dreamweaver is great, but when you have problems like this you are not able to open the code window and fuck with the actual code to make it work for whatever you are doing.

dreamweaver helps with the monotony of typing out the <table>, or <font> or <frameset> tags. thats all. if you don't know how your site works from the roots, or how your browser reads the tags and transforms those tags into viewable content, you will be lost when a very minor problems arise.

as well, yes you can do what you need to do using tables. use the <iframe> tag. there is a problem with that though. older browsers don't recognize that tag, only versions 5 and up do. also, i've tried it many times, but dreamweaver fuckin sucks for building framesets.. doing it by hand is the only way to go.

just some thoughts...

man, no one gets my sarcasm lately...

i use dreamweaver basically cause im a visual person. i need to look at them to make them happen... i couldnt do it right if i had to write it out in note pad, throw it in, then see how it works. it would take me forever. im used to graphic design, so i take the same approach to web design.

if i knew coding though, dont be fooled, id be a snob about it too. id hate on kids that 'cheated'... but since i dont, fuck em. :) i am learning a bit of code though, by fixing fuck ups and what not... i also fixed the problems i was having before... all set now...

i don't even remember how to use dreamweaver---i was using go live and flash before i decided that web design was making me want to kill myself before i quit working on the computer and started poking people with sticks for a living. does anyone else use go live or is that considered wack to all the die hard web design kids?

ok, im back to hating web design.

i finally got my frames to work perfectly, and now i realize problem number two... if i change one frame, i cant automaticaly change the other frames... or can i?

why dont i just make it easier on myself and do the whole fucking thing in flash? grrr

Guest imported_El Mamerro

why dont i just make it easier on myself and do the whole fucking thing in flash? grrr

I was gonna say the same thing, even though I hate all-Flash pages. I think what you want to do requires some Javascript, but I'm not sure. When you say change a frame, do you mean change the contents or change the size? Beer,

El Mamerro

flash is definitely the way to go. its so much fuckign easier, i dont know what i was thinking...

i do have one problem now though. i need to change the background color of my flash thing, but it will only give me the option to change it to the pre-set colors on the pallette. is there a way to load your own custom color into it? i want a 191919 black, and it'll only give me the option of 000000. make sense? like with photoshop, you can hand write in the value you want, but flash isnt giving me that option... not that i can see anyway. any ideas?

Archived