Hunting Season's Opening Day Massacre

Check it out. Can't wait to get to the tree stand tomorrow.

BIRCHWOOD, Wis. Nov 22, 2004 — A deer hunter shot and killed five people and injured three others in northwestern Wisconsin following a dispute about a tree stand during the hunt's opening weekend, authorities said.

The 36-year-old alleged gunman, who lives in the Minneapolis area, was arrested Sunday afternoon, Sawyer County sheriff's officials said. Jake Hodgkinson, a deputy at the county jail, identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no additional details.

The incident began when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County when they saw the suspect in one of their hunting platforms in a tree, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

It's not known who shot first, Zeigle said.

Top Stories

* Why We Were Infatuated With the Peterson Case

* Jet Crashes in Houston Fog, Killing Three

* Military Balks at Generic Care Packages

Both hunters were wounded and one of them radioed to the cabin a quarter mile away. Other hunters responded and were shot. About 20 shots were fired, but it's unclear who shot them, he said.

The dead included four males including a teenage boy and a woman, Zeigle said. A father and son were among them, he said. Some of the victims were shot more than once.

All five, from the Rice Lake area, were dead when officers arrived to the area in southwestern Sawyer County, he said. Authorities found two bodies near each other and the others were scattered over 100 yards.

"It's absolutely nuts. Why? Over sitting in a tree stand?" asked Zeigle.

Zeigle said the suspect was "chasing after them and killing them," with a SKS 7.62 caliber semiautomatic, a common hunting weapon. Wisconsin's statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Two young people who stayed in the cabin emerged safely after the shootings.

The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two hunters, not knowing about the shootings, helped him find his way out, Zeigle said. When he emerged, a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back, given to police by a victim, Zeigle said.

The man was out of bullets and was arrested, Zeigle said.

One of the injured hunters was in critical condition at St. Joseph's Hospital. Another was listed in serious condition and the third was in fair condition, both at Lakeview Medical Center.

Hunter Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters. After they got word of the shooting, he and others went to round up the rest of the party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," he said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

It took about three hours to round up the other hunters, who were up to four miles apart, Wagner said. "We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds. We're not forgetting it."

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This mate

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by trackstand@Nov 22 2004, 04:03 PM

What kind of man named Chai Vang would have so much rage inside him that he'd kill three people, or even hunt in the first place?

mung...moved to north carolina mountains under immunity / asylum from u.s during vietnam war....incredible fighters..... killing for the sake of killing... went berzerk...post traumatic stress....look it up

Trackstand, your a dumbass for that statement

i dont really see how this kinda shit happens really, sure its a wooded area, sure its pretty close quarters, especially if you dont know dude is there, but seriously, what do you say to something like that "uh....i thought it was a large flesh colored squirell....or maybe a deer....with an orange hat" its rediculous.

they deal was this dude was in thier treestand they asked him to leave and he started shooting them, they called up some people they knew who also got shot, then someone managed to split and drive 20 minutes to a phone and call the cops, the cops found this dude being led out of the woods by 2 other hunters and arrested him, dude must have been a good shot to take out 5 people and wound 3 others who had guns and not get shot in the process.

Originally posted by spectr@Nov 22 2004, 01:50 PM

dude must have been a good shot to take out 5 people and wound 3 others who had guns and not get shot in the process.

i read that that group had only 1 gun between them all. which seems pretty hard to believe for hunters.

what a nut job... "chasing people and killing them". wtf?

MUNG NIGGA!@!!!

god damn it.

Look it up, dude went berzerk, he was confronted with dudes with guns and he did what he did best, he killed em all.

He was hunting them. and if he hadnt run out of ammo i think that those 2 other hunters that helped him out would have died as well. and i doubt he was lost.

Wait a while then the news will report about his history and his post traumatic stress (shellshock) and motherfuckers's'll be like...yo, 181 was talking about that shit on 12oz then youll go tell your friends about it and be like, "yea i knew nigga was a mung"

but you didnt...see....you didnt.

:)

its spelled "hmong"

yea wisconsin is beutiful aint it..

just in the last year..

boy gets stuck in a toy grabber machine in my town..

woman kill newly born baby in a bathroom six blocks from me..

woman fakes her own kidnapping

people end up dead in lakes

crackheads

and after the pga was over the gave away 90 cases of beer...i was second in line..

i wouldnt doubt it happening again though..some of the first generation hmongs are a bit shellshocked still..but i comend them as being the most tightly knit community racially and keeping traditions alive in wi though

i was just about to jump on that 'mung' spelling

yeah, they're deep here in minnesota too

the newspapers have been reporting he killed his victims with a SKS assault rifle

which is a lie, because its not an assault rifle, never was

its a semi auto with a fixed 10 round magazine

i can already hear the mad mothers calling for a ban of this gun

blah

stupid people