Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

how to succesfully dread your hair

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by kodak, Sep 17, 2002.

1. kodak

kodak Member

first.... get the following stuff!
    a few hours, a few friends, some good hair wax or pomade, a strong steel comb, alot of paper towels, rubberbands, all the bob marley cds you can find, and a big fat bag of weed.

LET THE DREADING BEGIN!

1.To start, you can either section hair into uniform sections, like a grid, or just start at the back and work forward, grabbing locks that are about the size of your index finger, or as desired (note that the shorter the hair, the skinnier the dread must be, but fret not, they will grow together and get bigger as time goes by.) The grid method makes the locks look a bit more pro and uniform - just takes a bit longer to separate out. No biggie, yer gonna be here for the next 4 hours anyway! What's another 15 minutes? Bwaaahaha! However, I recommend that to avoid the blinding white or whatever-color part in the middle of your head, to grab sections randomly from either side of that part and dread like that.

2.. Take the first section of hair, and with the comb or fork, "back-comb" the hair like crazy starting from the very tips and working your way down to the scalp. It's actually very important to make sure the hair is really good and knotted at the base, next to your scalp, because that is where the dreads must start to come together on their own when your hair grows another inch or so.
    So anyway, do this back combing thang a couple of times until you feel it's sufficiently knotted and tangled, then twist that lump of hair into a semi-dreadlock. You may be surprised to find this dread is a lot shorter than the rest of your un-dreaded hair, especially if you have quite fine hair. Don't worry, you're doing everything right. Another thing to note is this process of pulling and back-combing my cause you some occasional scalp pain, but, hey! no pain, no nappy dreads, baby!

3.Take a blob of the wax on your finger (work out any little clumps of the wax) and start working it into the tangled hair, starting, again, from the scalp and working down to the ends. Take more blobs of wax as you need it and just get it thoroughly waxed and twisted up - but not so much that it would be a sticky mess in your friend's hand if he/she were to give your new dread a playful tug.

4.Now just keep repeating the grab-backcomb-twist-and-wax process the whole live long day! Well, it won't really take all day... actually, yes, it will...well, about 3-5 hours of it anyway. But, dude! Just keep thinking about what a babe-magnet you're gonna be when they're done! Yeah! Rock and roll!

"...babe-magnet...babe-magnet...ow, you're hurting me!...babe-magnet..."

ok now once the wax dries you will have what looks to be real dread locks. but they can not truelly be dreads for about another 6 months. just take care of them.
    peace.

2. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

too many hesher white kids with dreadlocks and marley shirts as is. dont encourage them.

3. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

Dirt Dirty people...

4. kodak

kodak Member

5. AeRoSoL JuNkiE

AeRoSoL JuNkiE Elite Member

First off...wax sucks, dont use that shit in your hair. Second, back combing is gay. I think people should stop bullshitting with these neat dreads and shit and start going natural.

6. REGULATOR

REGULATOR Elite Member

SEEKING TAKE NOTES!!! YOUR DREDLOCKS LOOK LIKE SHIT!!!!

7. dahighlifdhl

dahighlifdhl Senior Member

i have short hair so i really dont care

8. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

i would look like a fool if I had dreads

9. I once tried it, shit didn't work out. I'd try again if I didn't look so idiotic while I'm growing my hair. Beer,

El Mamerro

10. Ronnie Dobbs

Ronnie Dobbs Senior Member

get hair wet.. pile on the beezwax.. blowdry to perfection

11. DorkstaR

DorkstaR Senior Member

haha....i actually followed the steps...

note to self....if you have natural curly hair....dont even try. i got a chunk of my hair pokin out like a puppy dog's tail.

12. ledzep

ledzep Junior Member

dang, 4 freakin days after i cut my hair this comes out, perfect.

13. WALE!pd

WALE!pd 12oz Loyalist

14. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

dreads are not dirty people!!
    shit when i was ready..my hair was getting locked up and i had things ready..i knew i could still wash my hair..plus i had oil(coconut was my fav..)
    but for some reason, i lopped them off.it was wierd when i had my hair though..the world looks at you differently.