How old is graf

miz303

If it started around 1970 its about 30 years old so that makes it a baby in art terms right? Its only the beginning! So how could peolpe sit there and say its dead when there is still more things to organize and take over? So this thread is for the people who know graf will be around til we go to another planet then it will be about bombing that moon with a spray truck, what.........nwo bring back goldberg..........peace 303

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by blahblahblah

that is retarded on so many levels

im not saying they fucking wrote sob2 and different names and shit but graffiti has been around for ever. what do you think it just popped into some bronx fucks head one day in the 60's? shut the fuck up kid cats werent using paint but kids have been scribing shit since god fucked jesus's mom.

"graff has been around since people have"

let me explain why this is bullshit. When "people" were at there humble beginnings, they didn't exactly have the mental capacity to do simple tasks, much less graffiti. I'm defining graffiti here as some writing of a nickname or a phrase, done illegally for the purpose of being seen. Do you honestly believe people who were struggling to survive as a species were worried about being recognized by the few scattered band of humans?

The cave paintings of Lascaux and other places are paintings and nothing more. "fine art", if you could call it that, is in no way graffiti.

Also, there was no such thing as ownership so there is no way graffiti could have existed until there were laws to say "you can not write on this".

GRAFFITTI STARTED IN LA. My grandpa told me stories of how him and his homies would hit up their neighborhood back in the 30's.That was befor spraypaint was even made. They would take paint and blow it into bugspray cans so it would spray out the paint.ZTechnically graffiti's been around since heiroglyphics, but fools in LA been mobbin to get ups since before any nigga ever touched a subway car,not to diss though.When I visited NY I was in awe at all the graff history

Hobo's been writing on freights for a while. But like Esai said writing to "get up" has been around since before WWII out here in LA. People used markers and brushes etc. As far as aerosol shit there are people that feel NY, Philly, even Chicago.

Los Angeles pre WWII.

" 'graf-fi-to'. noun

pl.'graf-fi-ti'

1.Often graffiti. A drawing or inscription made on a wall or surface, usually to be seen by the public.

[italian, from graffiare, scribble, ultimatley from Greek graphein to write]

okay blahblahblah, how can the caveman drawings not be labeled as graffiti? it is to mark on wall or surface...is that not what they did? i used to think that you might be kinda smart, but this has proven me wrong...if you want more info on this go pick up Espos book and he explains it a lot more and better than i have

thanks to encarta encyclopedia for the defination

Originally posted by mopius

" 'graf-fi-to'. noun

pl.'graf-fi-ti'

1.Often graffiti. A drawing or inscription made on a wall or surface, usually to be seen by the public.

[italian, from graffiare, scribble, ultimatley from Greek graphein to write]

okay blahblahblah, how can the caveman drawings not be labeled as graffiti? it is to mark on wall or surface...is that not what they did? i used to think that you might be kinda smart, but this has proven me wrong...if you want more info on this go pick up Espos book and he explains it a lot more and better than i have

thanks to encarta encyclopedia for the defination

dude, you guys are missing my point here. just because something is applied to a surface, that doesn't make it graffiti.

you see, graffiti in its pure form should be illegal. No one gave the cave painters permission to do that obviously but there has to be certain laws to be in place before they can be broken. So therefore, if we are talking about graffiti as being illegal markings, it could of not existed that early.

True that , true that. but most cave men drawings are for educational purposes like hunting and so forth. It was'nt until cities were built like Egypt or Babylon that a worker or some poor schmuck would write his name on an inner city public wall in memorum.

It was'nt untill the late 60's and early 70's that muhfuckahs like TAKI and PHASE2 did it for fame...and the beat went on and goes on.................................................................................................

:mad: :cool: :king:

anytime somedone mentiones taki, you know they have no real clue what they're talking about...

taki was no where near the first person to write... he just got lucky when a reporter looked out his window, saw his name, and decided to write about graffiti... thats why taki is famous, not for 'starting' anything...

I started it.

the history and evolution of this artform lie solely in your beliefs. Apperently in my research there were people writing their names on shit in the civil war, usually cannonballs, sometimes clans of horsemen would burn their insignia(crest) onto trees to forewarn trespassers. Heiroglyphs were not graff, they were more like posed bills. That is why those who study them only find current events such as ceaser is ruler, ceaser died.

Originally posted by Esai

GRAFFITTI STARTED IN LA. My grandpa told me stories of how him and his homies would hit up their neighborhood back in the 30's.That was befor spraypaint was even made. They would take paint and blow it into bugspray cans so it would spray out the paint.ZTechnically graffiti's been around since heiroglyphics, but fools in LA been mobbin to get ups since before any nigga ever touched a subway car,not to diss though.When I visited NY I was in awe at all the graff history

Um, I seem to have read recently, in a book on an ex graffiti writer-fanatic guy, where he said that somebody was into spraypaint on walls back in the twenties and thirties. He was friends with some writers in Denver, and works as a professor at like Northern Arizona law school, I'm not sure the name of the book, and I'm betting it's hard to find because it was at City Lights in San Fransico.

Guest YinzerXpress

All this "graffiti started in nyc and la" shit is absurd. graffiti is the application of a medium to a surface i know all yall seen style wars. but style wars was not even close to the birth of graff. people like cornbread and topcat and stay high 149 started the "new breed" of graffiti which is what we have today, but graffiti has been going on since the dawn of time. when people did murals in the inside of caves and shit back in like 20,000 bc that is graff, there is a roman soldiers name on the rocks at stonehenge from like 3000 years ago, that is graff. i know my argument sounds kinda corny but it is true graff definatly didnt start with taki 183 it started long long ago.

YO SEEKINGINNOCENCE

Anyone who says someone dont know what their talking about... speaks too soon.

But since you think you know me...let me respond son.

I first off stated that Graff most likely got it's start when the first cities were built. You had to have a wall to write on and it had to be illegal.

The Egyptian pyramids show evidence of graffiti by workers as well as some buildings in ancient Babylon. This dates true illegal Graff to around 3000 BC.

TAKI was'nt famous for handstyles like STAY HIGH but he got hella up's across the tri-state area as well as down Florida and the Mid-West.

Back in the early 70's it was strictly tags. Markers first then spraycans.

I'm almost positive that TAKI's newsworthy fame is what inspired the style pioneers to seek the same fame. Regardless if he was a toy.

I'm not sure who inspired bubble letters before BLADE or PHASE2 but writers like them inspired the style in Graff wee see today.

when you add your 2 cents. don't expect change.

:king:

Re: Re: Re: Re: How old is graf

Originally posted by A Fire Inside

Goldberg is shit. Period. Obviously something you know nothing about. Mark.

thats... .......THE MARK.......... too you........you'll love to hate me......303 4life

Archived