HOW OFTEN DO FREIGHTS GET SERVICED?

Guest TenSent

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest 87centHitMan

well, I really have no idea, but i think that they should run indefinitely unless you painted over the numbers, then you'll have a nice little square box over your piece...I really don't see buffed cars all too often, but maybe all the clean cars are really buffed cars? You never know. They could have some nice buffing crew for the cars. Good question.

i'm glad you used the word "serviced" because that could mean one of several things. there's 'rebuilt' which is neatly displayed next to the built date in or near the black box.. i've seen plenty of cars rebuilt 25 years or so after the build date, and there's probably as many cars from 65 or 70 that haven't been rebuilt. painted? there's so many different ways for them to repaint cars- check out www.nothingbutfreights.com. under 'reading' they have a great 'guide to the buff' that explains this very well. a well-deserved plug.

also, who knows what might happen to any one of the thousands of cars out there- i found a 1995 short hopper the other day with the "return for repair" card on it for some derail problem. every wheel was chocked as if the brakes are busted. also some ancient local cars were headed back to the home shops for door repair.

i guess it's always different, you never know.

id say, just like everybody else, it depends on luck....but here lately ive seen a lot of cars buffed...not just hoppers or railboxes either....im not sure if the railroads are pulling them off the lines and buffing em when they get serviced or what....i''d also say a lot of it depends on the companys that own railcars....who knows???

Check the link joewelcome posted, where Ese nails it down. In a nutshell freights can run a long time, unless you paint over the numbers which will be stamped sooner or later, often sooner. Shit can run for so long the paint fades and falls off.

Car type and car owner are factors. Tankers (especially Procor and other hazmats) tend to get buffed quicker. Some hoppers get buffed on a hard to figure out haphazard system. Wisconsin Central is known for buffing their cars, and Cryo-Trans often get washed even if you stay off the numbers. Railboxes were undergoing a big fleet repaint but that seems to have slowed down. A lot of boxcars get left alone for many years.

Guest toyeraser

depends on the company

whether or not your piece gets buffed on a train depends a great deal on what kind of train its on. i won't drop a dime on which ones i know run, because i want all those for myself. but more or less keep in mind that if you see some freshly buffed trains or other people's pieces buffed on certain companies trains, then don't paint those ones. but if you see a 10 year old piece on a train, try to paint ones like it when you can catch them slippin. and stay the fuck out of the yards i paint or i'll cross out all your shit and write "toy" in it 20 times. :mad:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DRIPONERS

CHECK THIS I SEEN PIECES ON SOM BOX CARS WITH THE LITTLE NUMBERS JSU GUFFED LIKE YOU CAN BARELY TELL PLUS ALL YOU HEADS EVER HEARD OF THE BNSF RAIL WAY SYSTEM WELL IF YOU THINK PAINTING A YARD IS HARD TRY HAVING TO PAINT AND LOOKINK FOR THE RR POLICE COMING UP ON YOU WITH A FUCKEN DOG NOW THATS CRAZY I HAD TO RUN ON TOP OFF ALL THIS TRAINS AND SHIT JUST FIND FRIEGHTS PARKED NEXT TO EACH OTHE AND DO A BURNER ABOVE ALL THE LETERS AND NUMBERS IT WILL RUN FOREVER

• 3 weeks later...

Archived