1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

how does this happen?????

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by MurderSluts, Jul 15, 2004.

1. MurderSluts

MurderSluts 12oz Junior Member

how does this happen?????

Discussion started by MurderSluts - Jul 15, 2004

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/07/14/m...s.ap/index.html

BELLAIRE, Michigan (AP) -- Authorities misidentified two teens in an auto crash that killed one and left the other in critical condition, stunning parents who realized their son was alive after seeing the wrong body in the casket.

For days, one family kept a bedside vigil for a bandaged-up boy whom they believed was their badly injured 16-year-old relative. Meanwhile, the other family prepared to bury the boy they thought was their dead 17-year-old relative.

But the moment Patrick Bement's parents saw the face of the boy in the casket at the funeral home, they feared a terrible mistake had been made.

"We told them, 'It's not our son. It's not Patrick,"' said Michele Bement, the boy's stepmother.

The Antrim County Sheriff's Office confirmed the error Wednesday and said it was conducting an investigation to determine what happened. Sheriff Terry L. Johnson offered condolences and apologies to the families of both teens.

Deputies said they were in the process of using dental records and fingerprints to positively identify the person killed in Saturday's accident on U.S. 131 north of Alba, about 35 miles from Traverse City.

Relatives said the victim was Nathaniel Smith, 16.

"You can't even put to words the emotions, other than what an immense, gross tragedy -- a double tragedy," said Smith's uncle, Steve Bohatch.

The crash happened as Bement, Smith and their 17-year-old male driver were headed home after spending several days at a cottage in northern Michigan. Their Saturn crossed the center-line and struck a camper being hauled by a pickup truck, deputies said.

The Saturn driver was the only person in the car wearing a seat belt and escaped with minor injuries.

Deputies said they found Bement's identification near the body, which was ejected from the car, and believed the body to be his. Smith's wallet and identification were in the trunk, and the officers at the scene believed Smith was in the back seat with major head and facial injuries.

On Monday, Bement's parents gathered at a Grand Rapids funeral home to prepare for visitation services and to view their son's body.

What they saw shocked them: The boy, who had straight hair, did not look at all like their curly haired son. Instead, the boy looked like Smith.

"They had told us to be prepared for a shock because it didn't look like him," Michele Bement said. "They kept saying it was because he had a lot of facial damage, a lot of muscle damage. They thought we were in denial."

Smith's mother, Oksana Bohatch, had even called her from the hospital to express her condolences and to say she could not attend the funeral, Bement said.

"It's a terrible situation," said prosecutor Charles Koop. "I don't know what words you can say to comfort family members when this type of error is made."

MurderSluts - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  2. StarzAbove

StarzAbove 12oz Veteran Member

StarzAbove - Replied Jul 15, 2004

It just happens

StarzAbove - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. High Priest

High Priest 12oz Elite Member

High Priest - Replied Jul 15, 2004

oh.. now thats fucked up. Imagine the the parents reaction..

High Priest - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  4. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet 12oz Elite Member

Swiffer Jet - Replied Jul 15, 2004

my mind would be pretty messed up

Swiffer Jet - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. LaCosaNostra

LaCosaNostra 12oz Senior Member

LaCosaNostra - Replied Jul 15, 2004

I feel ridiculously bad for the familys' whos' kids did acutally die...

LaCosaNostra - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. EyeforAnEYE

EyeforAnEYE 12oz Elite Member

EyeforAnEYE - Replied Jul 15, 2004

Such a horrible thing to go through

EyeforAnEYE - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. Rodney Trotter

Rodney Trotter 12oz Senior Member

Rodney Trotter - Replied Jul 15, 2004

It happens to me all the time.

Rodney Trotter - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  8. CrazyLazy

CrazyLazy 12oz Senior Member

CrazyLazy - Replied Jul 15, 2004

The Antrim County Sheriff's Office are some idiots for that. Points down.

CrazyLazy - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. i11igul

i11igul 12oz Senior Member

i11igul - Replied Jul 15, 2004

this should spur someone into making a "do you wear your seatbelt" poll thread, i know i rarely ever wear mine when im among friends :eek:

i11igul - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. CrazyLazy

CrazyLazy 12oz Senior Member

CrazyLazy - Replied Jul 15, 2004

I wear mine every time. But not like it'll make that much of a difference. I have one of those old cars that only has the belt that goes across the waist.

CrazyLazy - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  11. Nutonce

Nutonce 12oz Member

Nutonce - Replied Jul 15, 2004

stupid fucks!:lol:

Nutonce - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  12. MEROJUANA

MEROJUANA 12oz Senior Member

MEROJUANA - Replied Jul 15, 2004

THATS WACK

...BUT THE NIGGA WHO SURVIVED CAN NOW START A GAY EMO BAND AND SING SONGS ABOUT HIS FRIENDS WHO DIED AND SHIT.

M E R O E.
    MLBRTEAM

MEROJUANA - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. Nekro

Nekro 12oz Elite Member

Nekro - Replied Jul 15, 2004

At least it'll keep you in the car, that's the main function of seatbelts. The shoulder belts are just to prevent you from smacking face-first into the steering wheel.

Nekro - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  14. MEROJUANA

MEROJUANA 12oz Senior Member

MEROJUANA - Replied Jul 15, 2004

BY THE WAY

I ALWAYS WEAR MY SEATBELT, CUZ IM NOT WHITE, AND WHEN I GET PULLED OVER WITHOUT A SEATBELT COPS AUTOMATICALLY PULL OUT GUNS AND YANK ME OUT THE WINDOW...THEN THEY START SNOOPING AROUND AND THEY MIGHT FIND THE MUTHAFUCKIN MAC10 UNDER MY SEAT NIGGA!! PLUS I LIKE TO BE SAFE.

M E R O E
    PROFILED

MEROJUANA - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  15. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin 12oz Elite Member

GamblersGrin - Replied Jul 15, 2004

[​IMG]

GamblersGrin - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages: