Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

how does a buddhist love?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by fatalist, Nov 1, 2004.

1. fatalist

fatalist Dirty Dozen Crew

It's been in my head for quite a while now. Though I don't consider myself strictly a buddhist, I do follow the buddhist teaching of the Four Noble Truths. It just seems perplexing to me that how does a buddhist love? If buddhism emphasizes on the detachment from desires, how then, can a buddhist love, while love would make him to desire to love and beloved? In here I mean man-woman love, the very selfish and possessive love. Also, what would be the buddhist perspective on sex? I know that I am asking very mundane questions, but it would be a relief for me, since I cannot comtemplate for the answers myself. :pumpkin:

2. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

I personally dont think that anyone can claim to be a [insert belief system here] without actually practicing the dogma.

I read about Taoism and try to think of how it applies to my daily life,
    but to say I'm a taoist would be offensive to people who actually are
    and it would only make myself look like a toolshed in the process.

Just like looking at graffiti on the internet downs make you a writer.

3. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

4. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

buddhists love all with compassion and kindness.

that's it.

the thing is, if you don't want to POSSESS what you love, then you will not be jealous.
    if you don't need to compete with your partner, there won't be resentment, etc..

this is the kind of pure love that they are speaking of.
    or at least, loving and desiring with thoughtfulness and understanding.
    it can be extrapolated to a man-woman relationship.

if you google "romantic love" and buddhism you'll get a shitload of input from some buddhist forums

5. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

none is a buddhist that implies that buddhism is a religion. one can only be a student of buddha.

to answer the other question, tantric buddhism. that is all i will say.

6. GucciCondom

GucciCondom Veteran Member

I needed new bearings for my lollerskates, and well, this thread is a brand new pair of fucking ABEC 100's.

7. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

t: have a lovely day
    d: you too
    d: reeeeeeeeeet
    t: byyyyyyyye
    t: reer
    d: bbyyyeeee

8. j

j Guest

whatever is "in" at the moment

9. test pattern

test pattern Elite Member

i'm sure you are not able to

10. fatalist

fatalist Dirty Dozen Crew

i'm sure you are not able to
    [post=3696158]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

FUCK OFF...

11. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

do christians sin?
    yes.
    do buddhist love?
    yes.
    is anybody that perfect to follow their religion to the "t"?
    not too many.

12. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

if 'love' is 'selfish and possessive', then it is not 'love', it's insecurity and jealousy. if you love someone just to be 'loved', then that too i not really 'love'. it's trusting in a facade and an illusion, which is completely contradictory to everything buddhism aims to dispell.

the buddhist idea of 'love' is what someone feels for their child. even if the kid steals from you, even if the kid crashes the car, you still love it, you still want it to be happy and you'd still lay down your life for it. you love it without regard for a return. you love it because it's there, and because loving it makes you happy. you love it just because.

in a 'man/woman' relationship, that means loving enough to let someone go if its not working. it means wanting to see them be happy more than wanting to be happy yourself. it means doing everything you can to make the relationship healthy and productive. it means accepting peoples faults, aknowledging your own and practicing patience and communication. it's really not that difficult, we just think it is because we're afraid to be honest.

as for sex, they view sex like everything else. if it's a healthy situation, then it's a healthy act. if it's an unhealthy situation, then it's an unhealthy act. if you focus on it or become obsessed with it, then it's not good for you. if you use it to fill a void, then it's counter productive and harmful.

any of that make sense?
    PM me if you'd like to discuss things further.
    (i wont ask to see your tits, promise).

13. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

What did the buddhist say to the hot dog vendor?

Make me one with everything...

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

FUCK OFF...
    [post=3696266]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

where's your buddha at now, girl?

buddhism is not a religion, its an action. if all one does is talk, they're a radio, not a buddhist.
    ;)

15. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

so the hotdog vendor says 'Sure thing'.
    The buddhist hands him a $20 and the vendor pockets it.
    "Hey" says the buddhist, "Where's my change?"
    "Sorry" says the hot dog vendor, "Change comes from within."