how did

T=E=A=S=E

sickel and ebert (or however the fuck you spell their names) get to be "the critics" ?

it's like they are the almighty critics of all critics, and i assume they get paid to do what they do, so does anyone know the story about how they became -the critics- everyone looks to for movie reviews etc?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by MurderSluts

gene siskel is dead.....and has been for like 5 years

well they still use the phrase when reviewing movies, because i just heard it on the television...

anyfucking ways though, i just hate shit like that, these fuckers get paid to review movies, and people act like what they say matters... when really its just another persons stupid opinion.

Originally posted by JohnnyLode

They actually use Siskel and Roeper now.

Ebert and Roeper?

And they were both movie critics for newspapers, I think. Like Chicago or something like that. Then they moved on to their show, that is really one-of-a-kind, or it was when it came out.

Siskel and Ebert were a great duo. Ebert and Roeper are pretty good themselves. I have a similar taste in movies as Ebert, and I appreciate his comments. He's a skilled writer and movie critic. He writes for the Chicago Sun Times. And as much as you hate it, Tease, he got his job by getting out there, getting an education, and working hard; not by hating on someone else's fame on an internet website.

Ebert pretty much panders to mass opinion, he likes some terrible movies and trashes some really good ones. He is a mainstream critic, and he does it well. I don't agree with much of what he says, but he wrote a review for Jay Carr's (former excellent Boston Globe critic) book of 100 Greatest Movies. It was for Night of the Living Dead and he couldn't have wrote a better review. That gives me a little bit of respect for the man but otherwise I don't agree with most of his points. He's written for the Chicago Sun for a very long time and is one of the most established critics around. That's how he got his job.

I actually feel tease on this. Another person that burns my ass is Joan Rivers. You work one day out of the year to talk shit about what people are wearing? Who the fuck pays you and who really and truely deep down in their heart really gives a flying fuck what you think. Oh no the shoes dont match the million dollar iced out bra. Fuck off you whore. You're 190 go get some sleep.

Originally posted by mr.yuck

I actually feel tease on this. Another person that burns my ass is Joan Rivers. You work one day out of the year to talk shit about what people are wearing? Who the fuck pays you and who really and truely deep down in their heart really gives a flying fuck what you think. Oh no the shoes dont match the million dollar iced out bra. Fuck off you whore. You're 190 go get some sleep.

:lol:

word up yuckster.

good call with joan rivers to.

Guest KING BLING

...Critics get where they are by earning respect in the field in which they work and having marketability. They major in cinema related fields, have a natural obsession with movies, have enough information combined with writing ability to relay opinions well, and carry (in general) ideas that readers agree with...

I am into movies and I rely on two primary sources - the local indy paper and rottentomatoes.com. Once you find the critics that think like you do, it can be a helpful tool towards avoiding crap, learning about movies, and discovering movies you might have otherwise avoided. What happened, did someone hate on White Chicks and get you angry?

im not going to see white chicks.... "king bling" :rolleyes:

and no, i think critics are stupid personally.

i dont need someone else to tell me if a movie looks good or not.

and in my short time on the planet, most of the time the critics are wrong anyways. if i ever did bother paying attention to what they had to say, id do the exact opposite of what they said.

if i see a movie that looks tempting in the commercials, wow, im going to go check it out more than likely. its not that fucking hard.

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

if i ever did bother paying attention to what they had to say, id do the exact opposite of what they said.

if i see a movie that looks tempting in the commercials, wow, im going to go check it out more than likely. its not that fucking hard.

so you will go see a movie that's advertised by the company that makes the movie and wants your hard earned a.c installing bucks, and will obviously just show the best 2 second grabs from a few half decent scenes, usually involving explosions or bikini clad chicks, over people that are usually objective and have some insight as to what makes a good and bad movie...your a thinker.

Originally posted by Crookedline

so you will go see a movie that's advertised by the company that makes the movie and wants your hard earned a.c installing bucks, and will obviously just show the best 2 second grabs from a few half decent scenes, usually involving explosions or bikini clad chicks, over people that are usually objective and have some insight as to what makes a good and bad movie...your a thinker.

look you fucking crooked line you.

i can judge shit for my damn self, i dont need some uppity fucking critics telling me about a movie in order to make a decision.

now shut the fuck up.

Guest KING BLING

As in the rest of life, if you are confident in who you are anothers opinion won't make you uncomfortable ot hostile (drunken arguments aside)...

If you re-read what I wrote you would see that a critic can help you to avoid shitty movies and discover others you may not have given a chance to - the key words being "TO HELP" not to dictate or force. I can think for myself but that doesn't keep me from reading opinionated books...how about you?

Originally posted by KING BLING

As in the rest of life, if you are confident in who you are anothers opinion won't make you uncomfortable ot hostile (drunken arguments aside)...

If you re-read what I wrote you would see that a critic can help you to avoid shitty movies and discover others you may not have given a chance to - the key words being "TO HELP" not to dictate or force. I can think for myself but that doesn't keep me from reading opinionated books...how about you?

Words are what keeps tease from reading books, not opinions.

Originally posted by KING BLING

i totally agree with you there... but im saying, i know a ton of people, and i hear a ton of people say that they read so and so's review and it wasnt that good so theyre not going to go see the movie based on another's opinion.

which is fine if thats how you want to lead your life, but its not for me.

case closed.

thread closed. :lol:

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

sickel and ebert (or however the fuck you spell their names) get to be "the critics" ?

it's like they are the almighty critics of all critics, and i assume they get paid to do what they do, so does anyone know the story about how they became -the critics- everyone looks to for movie reviews etc?

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/diverse/0be68e09.jpg'>

Archived