HOW ABOUT THEM CANVASS...STRICKLY SPRAY PAINT!

SAKE*IBM*SCB*

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I admire the skill in which this guy rendered what looks like bruce lee's eyes so detailed.

But even more so i admire the invention of the camera which made paintings of this nature redundant.

I still think this guy is great with a spraycan, but i never really thought of spraypaint as the next airbrush.

do you wonder why airbrushers never get famous as artists. have you seen an airbrush painting in a museum??

well then.....

props for taking the time to paint something like this.it must have taken awhile and plenty of patience indeed.but i personally don't think its that spectacular.photorealism in most cases just doesn't do much for me.in the sense that its not a real creation of the mind.its taking a picture(which in itself can be argued as an act of 'art' or not)and rendering it exactly(copying).i have a similar point to sixteenvandals maybe...there's an 'artist' named robert bateman in canada...popular on the sort of cottage industry scene.he does paintings that are of extreme technical perfection(realism).cougars and wildlife scenes.its in the eye of the beholder of course,but it should be noted that for the span of his fairly long career,no galleries in canada have opted to give him either a show,or money for a couple of paintings.alot of people could do this stuff if they really put in some time,effort,and practice.in the gemeos thread somebody mentioned that you can really feel the feeling of their art.photorealism doesn't really allow room for personal taste and feeling,which are very important things to creating good art.

[This message has been edited by SHECKY SHENANIGANZ (edited 09-20-2001).]

No doubt, it's a dope painting, but I'm going to have to agree with the others, photorealism doens't do it for me either... I got into graff because it was a way for me to get my sketched characters and cartoonish designs out for everyone to see, and I think that people respond better to more 'outlandish' forms of art, but photorealism is too familiar to people.

Also, I have to agree, why do people hate on airbrushing? I know this guy who's airbrushed stuff for Hugh Hefner, done millions of those D&D illustrations (the one's of barbarians and shit), and has been in numorous mags for his art, but the art world won't take him seriously. It's a shame, I'm going to have him airbrush a piece of mine on my MPC, when done, I'll post it on here...

Originally posted by SHECKY SHENANIGANZ:

...photorealism in most cases just doesn't do much for me.in the sense that its not a real creation of the mind.its taking a picture(which in itself can be argued as an act of 'art' or not)and rendering it exactly(copying).....in the gemeos thread somebody mentioned that you can really feel the feeling of their art.photorealism doesn't really allow room for personal taste and feeling,which are very important things to creating good art.

[This message has been edited by SHECKY SHENANIGANZ (edited 09-20-2001).]

I beg to differ. I paint from my own photos as much as possible..I choose the angle..lighting..contrast...colors..etcetera, etc. I make tons of changes here and there...I love freestyling shit too, but working from photos I think can produce some dope stuff...for some people relying on fotos can be a crutch, but for others it's really helpful..I see what you're saying though..a lot of photorealism does come across as cold...but it doesn't have to be. I think the difference between good photorealists and bad ones is whether they can actually draw or not...if you know what you're painting from, it'll show through...but if you're just "winging it"..relying completely on the photo , it shows...but whatever. to paraphrase duke ellington..."there's only two kinds of art -good art and bad art"

------------------

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/superrerun/images/miniwarriorsgroup1.gif'>

who's the mac?...

[This message has been edited by Mr.LonelyHeart (edited 09-20-2001).]

The first one looks like a night sky at first glance.

"...there's an 'artist' named robert bateman in canada...popular on the sort of cottage industry scene.he does paintings that are of extreme technical perfection(realism)."

Robert Bateman is much more than a cottage country folk artist. His paintings are not just technically perfect- they have beautiful color schemes, flow, and originality.

------------------

bomb the living bejeepers outta those horses

Originally posted by satellite:

Robert Bateman is much more than a cottage country folk artist. His paintings are not just technically perfect- they have beautiful color schemes, flow, and originality.

i didn't say he was a 'cottage country folk artist'.

cottage industry refers to networks of very small galleries run by people in touristy type destinations. he is not a folk artist. nice color schemes, yes, flow and originality?....please. none of these things are his. he is merely plagiarizing nature. my opinions are just that. opinions are not fact. he's still a hokey motherfucker with not a creative bone in his body. show something from his MIND, not something copied from a photograph.

yea....he's got technical skills. big deal. it still doesn't count for much in my books.

Originally posted by sixteenvandals:

I still think this guy is great with a spraycan, but i never really thought of spraypaint as the next airbrush.

do you wonder why airbrushers never get famous as artists. have you seen an airbrush painting in a museum??

well then.....[/b]

you dont see it in museums because it's farely new,there are air brush exhibits

Archived