HO'S

ODS-1

This is the thread for writers who don't always get out. The Ho thread. This thread is for discusion , advice and sharing what kindof dope ho you can find. Discuss.

HO scale model trains that is.

What kin of markers do you recommend for painting model trains.

Do you guys use brushes?

They're quite fun to paint on rainy days.

But I painted all of mine back when I sucked.

What about airbrush?

Would those work?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Those gel type pens work pretty good, black sharpies are good for fills. The HO scale cars I've painted I like them to be sized right, to make the graf look like the real deal. I even mess w/ some weathering techniques to make the cars look rusty and like they've put in some time. An airbrush wouldn't work to good, except for weathering techniques, it can't do details too well. For more info on weathering check out some Model Railroader magazines at a local hobby shop, also theirs a thread in Metal Headz devoted to model trains, you'll have to search for it though...hope this helps.

Good subject, good question..Can someone with experience please help us both out..A guy I know is sending me a car to do, and to be honest, I dont have the first clue on what to use, shit, I never even did one..I have heard gel pens before..what exactly are those? some elaboration please..thanks, excuse the lack of knowledge, 'eh what do ya want, I'm old school'':D

I used paint markers and sharpies and ending up ruining my cheap little trains.

Anyone no where you could get ho scale models for atleast like 10 bucks or something?

And whoever was talking about it, How do you do that aging technique on the trains again. Please go into details. Rock.

i love ho's

graff ho's.

if your painting model cars try using acrylic or enamel paint with fine tip paint brushes. enamel paint has more chemicals in it, same as spraypaint, acrylic turns into plastic when dry or you could use laytex as well. paint brushes vary you got rounds, flats, brights and filberts. each are going to do different things, but if your adding detail, use small rounds. paint pens should work fine too, but you gotta make sure it is completely dry before trying to paint over it again or you'll end up messing you shit up, don't use sharpies ever.

Originally posted by johndoe

lol ur getting ripped off if u pay 20 for an ho.

i got an o which is twice the size of an ho for 25, it was a nice csx made by lionel.

If it was on the net could you tell me where the website was? My grandparents have this whole big table which is like 3 tables togh4ther that has little bbuildings and cars and tuneel and mountains and stuff with freights and subways but it doesnt run too well.And I don't want to fuck up my granparents trains by painting on them.

weathering is pretty hard to get the hang of, theres a few different things you can use: airbrush, artist chalks, or washes (which is thinned down paint).. experiment on shitty trains to learn different techniques..

also try these sites for buying trains: www.internettrains.com

or http://www.walthers.com

hope that helps a little... bye bye

Originally posted by ZedIsDed

acrylics and a q-tip for fillins and a sharpie (new with fine tip) for the outlines...

you think your tuff, try rocking N or Z cars with burners.

burners on N or Z scales, thats just straight up BALLER status!!! I just recently bought a G scale ATSF centerflow and put a nice piece on it. fucking expensive though...

Originally posted by damn vandle

burners on N or Z scales, thats just straight up BALLER status!!! I just recently bought a G scale ATSF centerflow and put a nice piece on it. fucking expensive though...

i didnt say i did it, i just tried it - not ballin yet. i wound up painting the whole thing. those marklin z trains too, those shits are super tiny.

the gel pens, I just went to Walmart and found them in the school supply section. Thier called "Milky Gel Rollers" made by Pentel. I got some pastel colored ones, I've had good results w/ them they have a nice baby blue color, and I use the white for the inline, and a fine point black sharpie for outline and another color for the final. I madesure to get the gel pens that write on plastic and metal. When I use them, I make the piece look realistic, in that it is proportioned to the traincar.

If you have the patience and a steady hand, you could get a fine tipped paint brush and rock some paint on the cars. I would use a waterbased paint, like PollyScale Brand, which can be found at hobbyshops.

Weathering, if you have access to an airbrush, but some paint and thin it out w/ paint thinner. The most used color for this is a dark color which will kill the glossy out of the box look. Also oil paints in the little tubes are great too. I'll squirt a little out onto a piece of sponge and wipe it off vertically to simulate rain washing grime down the sides of the cars. Theirs a book put out by the Model Railroader Magazine, called "Painting and Weathering Model Train Cars", I bought it a while back, excellent book w/ various other weathering techniques. Alot of modelers will go trackside and flick up a certain car, and replicate it scaled down in great detail. Check the web out too, theirs alot of good sites that offer tips for modelers.

Lemme know if yall need anything cleared up or explained better...

• 3 weeks later...

The only gel pens I've sen were like purple and flourescent roadmarking orange.

What about very fine point paint brushes and model paint for fills? Seems like it would be better coverage.

Those silver sharpies suck. It looks like a model of a car that was painted with cheap paint using softball caps. Suckee.

It's obvious you didn't read all of the posts in here. Lots of people paint these things. Please don't bring stupid Louisville beef into non Louisville threads.

Not everyones mommy drives them around to paint on people's vans at night like you MMMMMKAY?

Originally posted by FR8HOUND

Good subject, good question..Can someone with experience please help us both out..A guy I know is sending me a car to do, and to be honest, I dont have the first clue on what to use, shit, I never even did one..I have heard gel pens before..what exactly are those? some elaboration please..thanks, excuse the lack of knowledge, 'eh what do ya want, I'm old school'':D

IVE NEVER DONE ONE TILL TONIGHT. I PUT IT OFF FOR SO LONG (PLUS I DIDNT HAVE PAINT PENS) THINKING IT WOULD TAKE TO MUCH DEXTERITY/ATTENTIVENESS THAN I WANTED TO EXERT. I USED PAINT PENS AND A THICK ASS SHARPIE, AND IT WAS REALLY FUN. IM GONNA DO ANOTHER ONE FOR A FRIEND LATER TONIGHT. YOU CAN CUT THE OUTLINE WITH THE PAINT PEN. BESIDES THE RIDGES(COVERAGE) ITS PETTY LOC'D.

Archived